SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Using fuel additives in our SCs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 12:28 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using fuel additives in our SCs

I was just wondering if you guys use fuel additives like Seafoam (which I'm sure A LOT of you use, I know I do), STP, etc. I usually buy the 3 pack of STP Gas Treatment for like $3 at Walmart and put one bottle in every time I fill up. I just bought some STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner tonight for like $5.50 at Walmart and put it in. It seems to keep my cars running good. I've been using the stuff for years in many different cars. I can tell a little difference from running it. I know some people say this stuff is all a rip off but I beg to differ. What do you guys think? Do you guys use fuel additives at all or regularly like I do? How much do you think it benefits our SCs?
Old 02-23-10, 12:59 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Sticking feathers up your butt doesnt make you a chicken.."- Tyler Durdan-Fight Club

translation- sticking crap like STP in your tank doesnt make you faster and wont necessarily help your car. When you put gas in your tank, that fuel isnt clean like you would think. There are deposits that stick to the sides and bottom of your tank, that 90% of the time your fuel filter will catch. BUT products like fuel system cleaner, injector cleaner, etc. break these deposits down and loosen them up from the inside of your tank, and generally make them small enough to pass through your fuel filter, through your injectors and into you cylinders..sorry but I dont want that crap in my cylinders/fuel filter/injectors, let it stay in the tank..you want clean injectors, take them out and have them cleaned, and replace your fuel filter.

Now, Seafoam is a whole different story cause its not just a fuel cleaner/additive. Its primary function is for an engine cleaner, internally of course. But its only recommended for higher mileage cars, and is designed to dissolve the deposists that it does pick up, not just loosen them and flush them through your fuel system.

Only stuff I have put in my gas tank other than gasoline, is Lucas fuel stabilizer/treatment, and only did it a couple of times cause I felt absolutely no difference.
Old 02-23-10, 01:37 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

So would you recommend putting Seafoam in my gas tank instead of the STP stuff?
Old 02-23-10, 08:25 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooticon
I wouldnt put it into the gas tank. I would do it through a major vacuum. It works really well that way. Plus lots of smoke
Old 02-23-10, 10:06 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
I wouldnt put it into the gas tank. I would do it through a major vacuum. It works really well that way. Plus lots of smoke
+1 agreed...
Old 02-23-10, 10:07 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rooticon
nope, Carfreak nailed it..through a primary vacuum source

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Old 02-23-10, 10:16 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

For Seafoam: I put 1/3 in the tank (when its almost empty), 1/3 through the oil cap and the rest on a vacuum source. Make a smoke show, change your oil and put a fresh tank of gas in it, your car will feel a whole lot smoother.
Old 02-23-10, 10:35 AM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Techron, which is probably the most highly rated "fuel system cleaner" or "fuel additive" and I have nothing but positive things to say about it... The main thing being that the throttle is much more responsive and the RPMs seem much more liberal.

But that's just my experience.
Old 02-23-10, 11:01 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
I've used Techron, which is probably the most highly rated "fuel system cleaner" or "fuel additive" and I have nothing but positive things to say about it... The main thing being that the throttle is much more responsive and the RPMs seem much more liberal.

But that's just my experience.
if there were any higher amount of 's i could give you i would.

this product is like a drug addiction to my car...if i go without putting a new bottle in every 2 weeks or so the car will start to run rich and misfire. i can let it idle...it will pop and misfire every now and then, but when i put a bottle of that stuff in the tank..within minutes the car runs incredible.
Old 02-23-10, 11:06 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I don't know about you guys but I've had some good luck with STP products. They are relatively cheap, and I've never had any problems using them. Seems like the cars I put it in run smoother if I run the stuff on a regular basis just like BostonSC4 said above. I have used Seafoam a million times in a million different cars, I usually just use the brake booster line for the Seafoam, put it in my oil crankcase, and the rest in my gas tank. It does help, but I usually don't feel comfortable putting Seafoam in my oil, because it thins it out BIG TIME. Not to mention, its a good idea to change the spark plugs after you Seafoam, which can be a pain in the *** on the 2JZ.
Old 02-23-10, 03:45 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

seafoam and marvel mystery oil,seafoam only when it's time to change plugs