SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help Fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10 | 02:45 PM
FinalSC
Driver

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Be more specific. Unless these 4 or 5 'engine problems' are correctly identified by your mechanic and diagnosed we can't tell you if the car is worth keeping. If you say the car needs $5000 in work to be in good shape, well that's why some used SC's are worth $1000 and others $10,000.

As far as passing smog, the stuff jadu mentioned is a good place to start, also make sure you're not getting any O2 sensor codes from the ECU. If you're desperate you could try one of those products that claim to make your car pass guaranteed. I've seen them in bottles at Parts source etc. but I'm not sue how effective they are.

Good luck.

im referring back to what he said though. with the two problems,#1 intake and #2 power steering pump. its definitely worth more to fix it cause its in the engine.
Old 02-23-10 | 03:19 PM
FinalSC
Driver

alright these are the problems besides the power steering pump and air sensor, dont know what they are. code:24,27,31,71
Old 02-23-10 | 03:25 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Code 24 Intake temperature sensor circuit fault
Code 27 Sub-oxygen sensor circuit fault
Code 31 Low airflow meter voltage
Code 71 EGR System Malfunction

I can see why you didnt pass smog. your whole emission system is bad. in california you need a working emssion system to pass smog.. if you werent in california i would just tell you to DELETE the whole system.

You bought the car with the check engine light on? Should of got it taken a look at first. I still dont think it will cost 5k to fix, but still up 2 you if you want to go yell at the guy because of false information

Your car is dieing because the EGR system is STUCK open. its letting exhaust gas always into your engine and causes a vacuum leak. thats why it idles rough and dies. the car cant combust all the carbon dioxide.

EGR system isnt costly to fix, just a pain to find the source of the problem

Last edited by eliteskill; 02-23-10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-23-10 | 03:28 PM
FinalSC
Driver

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Code 24 Intake temperature sensor circuit fault
Code 27 Sub-oxygen sensor circuit fault
Code 31 Low airflow meter voltage
Code 71 EGR System Malfunction

I can see why you didnt pass smog. your whole emission system is bad. in california you need a working emssion system to pass smog.. if you werent in california i would just tell you to DELETE the whole system.

You bought the car with the check engine light on? Should of got it taken a look at first. I still dont think it will cost 5k to fix, but still up 2 you if you want to go yell at the guy because of false information
yea its on but what he told me was a whole diff story...i was thinking of those add with buying your car bad or good condition? how much would it be to fix and is it hard?
Old 02-23-10 | 03:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Originally Posted by FinalSC
will if i do that then its not even right for him to sell me the car... cause all he said that need to b replace was the air sensor and power steering pump. cause there more problems on the engine so i doesn't pass smog.
what i mentioned to you was regularly scheduled maintenance items.
Old 02-23-10 | 03:36 PM
FinalSC
Driver

i need to know how much it is to fix cause all i have left after buying the car is 2k. plus i bought cause its gonna b a daily driver, can i dirty smog it?
Old 02-23-10 | 04:25 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

anything can be dirty smogged...... but you dont want the car to die on you when ur running around town. i dont know how much it would cost to fix as a EGR system could be many things, you need a mech to pinpoint it, but it shouldnt be more than 500~ dollars to fix

why dont u go tell the guy u bought it from what i said is the problem and maybe he has a way to help you. im sure hes not clueless about whats going on

Last edited by eliteskill; 02-23-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-23-10 | 08:53 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

one word SEAFOAM! thru sprayed thru the intake instead of the pcv valve. i heard that some have pass the test after seafoaming. can anyone validate
Old 02-24-10 | 11:35 AM
FinalSC
Driver

just found out The keys don't work for the door locks!1 lucky i opened the window... water leak after yesterdays rain plus the car hasn't been smogged since 2006! idk how he got tags for it and he ain't picking up!!!
Old 02-24-10 | 11:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Sound slike a shaddy deal all around. Drive to the place where you bought it, if it will make it, and tell him to fix it. Man, I would hate to live in Cali with all these Smog problems and concerns. Good luck with your SC and let us know what you decide. Lastly, if you really like the car, then fix it, and drive it till about 500K miles. You cant hardly kill these motors. JMO
Old 02-24-10 | 11:55 AM
FinalSC
Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Sound slike a shaddy deal all around. Drive to the place where you bought it, if it will make it, and tell him to fix it. Man, I would hate to live in Cali with all these Smog problems and concerns. Good luck with your SC and let us know what you decide. Lastly, if you really like the car, then fix it, and drive it till about 500K miles. You cant hardly kill these motors. JMO
i would like to go more than 500k but theres more than tlc... i do like the car but im more professional on body not auto techs. a full time student and a job means work on weekends only.. i have 2k right now would it be able to cover the problems?
Old 02-24-10 | 11:56 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

has it been 30 days since you bought the car?
Old 02-24-10 | 11:57 AM
FinalSC
Driver

Originally Posted by BostonSC4
has it been 30 days since you bought the car?
atleast tens days now...
Old 02-24-10 | 12:56 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

i think your best bet whould be to go to the california part of the forum and see if u can find a sc mechnic who who's knows what he's doing and fix ur problem. if thats all thats wrong should be thatmuch to replace the parts
Old 02-24-10 | 12:57 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

i hope you know where this guy lives. all those extra headaches your finding. I would say get your money back. people can steal tags easy just need a screwdriver. sadly police dont care about things like this so you have to deal with it on your own. I bought a car that had a fake pink slip and was stil under lien, and when i told the local PD that lives 5 blocks from his house they told me "buyer beware they can do anything about it" I told them it was fraud and they just stared at me... useless cops..

Quick Reply: Help Fast!!