SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

rear wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 02:02 PM
codye3m
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel bearing replacement

does any body know how to remove and install a rear wheel bearing, how to remove the rear hubs also, thanks in advance
Old 02-24-10, 03:15 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, your best bet, if you have the time, just dive in and ask questions as you go along. Pretty much anything that looks like it needs too be unbolted, does.

Once you get the hubs off, unless you have a press, take the hubs too a machine shop and have the pressed out and the new ones in.

Just take your time, take pics, write things down. This is how I do almost 99% of what I do. You will run into problems, but thats how you learn.

Good luck, you can dooooo it
Old 02-24-10, 03:21 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did a wheel bearing replacement on the SC400 for the third time. This most recent time, I did it myself.

I did it with a neighbor, and it was tedious, but not too terrible. It could have been a one day job, but after pressing my hub out, I realized I needed a new one. Check the shaft on the hub for wear and inconsistent diameter. If the hub is still good, that's $170 (from Toyota) that you can save.

The most difficult part for me was reconnecting all of the brake components, as I have a tendency to forget which bolts and pieces go where.

If you're a DIY kind of guy, it's not too bad. Do a search, there was a thread with a link posted with step by step instructions for a Supra, which is the same as our cars. The guy who wrote the article removed the drive axle, and I found no reason to do this. He also suggested beating some parts with a hammer, which would most likely be better done with a press.

If you don't have a press or access to one, you may be best off buying one from Harbor Freight or something for like $100 and you'll have it for other things in the future like bushings and more bearings. Press work at a shop can be pricey depending on the store.