SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wheel lift concepts - ideas and suggestions welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 10:57 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel lift concepts - ideas and suggestions welcomed

So I'm trying to get my DD Supercar project rolling, and I wanted to make a poor man's version of a lamborghini fron end lifter:

Here's a sample of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1Sb5hQnCM

It's hydraulically operated, and works as a small piston or bag at the bottom of the coil to give it a few more inches of clearance.

I have a few ideas on how to do this:

1. Have a universal airbag on a set of front shocks or coilovers, but this would require extensive wiring, extra equipment such as lines, compressors, and valves. It would also have trouble in the winter, as the lines would freeze. It would also be expensive.

2. Take the hydraulic concept, but use one of these at each wheel:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36396

with an electronic 12v actuator as a pump, and a small motor to operate the valve. I can enclose it all in one unit and bolt it onto the wheel well area. I was thinking of having it push down on the control arm, and then retract when I release the air so I don't hit it on any hard bumps. I can probably make this for cheap, and I wouldn't have to worry about my lines freezing and by sourcing good motors, I can make sure i'm well within the reccommended duty cycle of the motor.

What do you guys think? I'm tires of scraping my front end on my driveway and speed bumps.

Thanks,
-Freddy
Old 02-27-10, 11:01 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would give this a try and lets us see the DIY pictures as you do it. Secondly, you could park it and buy another car for DD.. The bottom line is, I would say go for it!
Old 02-27-10, 11:06 AM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already make air cups for our cars.
Old 02-27-10, 11:13 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zhillz
They already make air cups for our cars.
I understand, but such a setup would be pretty expensive and inefficient in the winter.

I'm trying to see if there's a diy solution.
Old 02-27-10, 11:21 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel u on the scapin part damn SPEED BUMPS..post a diy wit hella pics
Old 02-27-10, 12:27 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tavarish
I understand, but such a setup would be pretty expensive and inefficient in the winter.

I'm trying to see if there's a diy solution.
You want to use a car jack instead? How do you plan on it actually jacking itself up?
Old 02-27-10, 12:56 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zhillz
You want to use a car jack instead? How do you plan on it actually jacking itself up?
Post number 1.
Old 02-27-10, 01:14 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Do it mang!
Old 02-27-10, 01:45 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

http://www.umbrellaautodesign.com/co...ed_design.html

Umbrella has an application for Toyota Supras (Which will fit SC's) Check the coilover applications list on the site. You can run just a front setup, or full. This is made in America, quality kit- Lots of NSX Prime folks run this setup instead of the "Ooohh JDM" Roberuta cups.
Old 02-27-10, 02:03 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tavarish
Post number 1.

You say your going to make a pump and small motor to operate the valve, to me it doesnt make sense. How is this going to push the lever up and down??

Wouldnt this also make it jerky when your lifting the car up?
Old 02-27-10, 04:06 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Probably cheaper and more cost effective to just buy a kit. I wouldn't want some cheapy Harbor Freight hydraulic ghetto rigged into my suspension. Suspension travel + cornering + Mickey Moused made in China orange hydraulics just doesn't seem safe. But I'll say it again, DO IT MANG!
Old 02-27-10, 05:32 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 24boosted
Probably cheaper and more cost effective to just buy a kit. I wouldn't want some cheapy Harbor Freight hydraulic ghetto rigged into my suspension. Suspension travel + cornering + Mickey Moused made in China orange hydraulics just doesn't seem safe. But I'll say it again, DO IT MANG!
lmfao!!! hes right though...just buy a uas kit lol i think it'd be cheaper and much more easier than what your about to venture into....jus sayin..lol..i can see you looking like any of the following with what your about to try-----> lol
Old 02-27-10, 05:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

seems kinda stupid. learn how to drive your car. learn to approach speed bumps with an angle and you wont have issues.

putting a harbor freight hydraulic cylinder in your wheel well wont really work. there isnt much room to begin with. the upper control arm is in the way of everything. even if you get it to fit, and it would be a miracle if it works your way, you wont be able to turn the wheels.

take off a wheel on your car and see how everything is set up and go from there.
Old 02-27-10, 05:48 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 24boosted
This would ONLY be active when going on a speed bump or driveway. The rod would retract when not in use and suspension travel would be the same.

Originally Posted by scviolence
lmfao!!! hes right though...just buy a uas kit lol i think it'd be cheaper and much more easier than what your about to venture into....jus sayin..lol..i can see you looking like any of the following with what your about to try-----> lol
I'm not looking to spend $2000 on something that lifts my car. If I can do it for cheaper, I'll go down that avenue first.

BTW, I can have a continuous velocity solenoid that goes in and out to use as a pump, since it doesn't require that much force to compress the cylinder.

I'll take some measurements and see if it's even possible.
Old 02-27-10, 05:59 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
seems kinda stupid. learn how to drive your car. learn to approach speed bumps with an angle and you wont have issues.

putting a harbor freight hydraulic cylinder in your wheel well wont really work. there isnt much room to begin with. the upper control arm is in the way of everything. even if you get it to fit, and it would be a miracle if it works your way, you wont be able to turn the wheels.

take off a wheel on your car and see how everything is set up and go from there.
I'm well aware of how to approach my driveway and speed bumps. I currently don't have a lip, but if I do, it would definitely get scraped immediately.

I'm trying to see if it's even possible, and I won't do it if it prohibits wheel movements or compromises handling in any way.

I'm also interested in seeing if I can make a suspension using oem components from an airbag-equipped car. Something other than the norm, basically.

Quick Reply: Wheel lift concepts - ideas and suggestions welcomed