SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra TT or SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 11:25 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm all this has to do with is personal preference. To the OP, if you like Supras and can justify spending 30-40k on one, go for it. It's gonna be your car, not mine or anyone else's. For me, I can't see spending that kind of money for an older car like that. Plus, I like my cars fast with a touch of class. Which defines the SC.

In before the lock!
Old 03-03-10, 02:08 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

own and drive one, the difference is night and day
Old 03-03-10, 06:42 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven several MKIVs, and worked on tons of them. The Aristo actually drives better. I'm sure it doesn't handle at the extreme like the Supra (Haven't driven a fully upgraded Aristo). But the Aristo is a darn fun car to drive.

Jeff
Old 03-03-10, 07:20 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys thanks for all of your comments, for the good and bad. I have found my answer, and I am keeping the SC. You all have ALWAYS been a great help in determining ALL of MY needs for my SC. I got the answer from a previous post in this thread. They are overpriced. I didnt mean to step on anyones toes or insult anyone on here, if I did I apologize. I try to post things to help someone out, and finding the answer or solution. Thanks for you all's input on this.

Mark
Old 03-03-10, 07:36 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its because ppl are willing to sell a sc for blue book value where as supra owners are not. I will never sell my sc for kbb value id rather drive it until the wheels fall off and then let it rust into the ground. lol
Old 03-03-10, 07:43 AM
jonboyb
Driver

First of all.....I have both, but I bought my Supra TT over 10 years ago before the movie. While F&F certainly bumped the prices.......they were still silly expensive before the movie. After recently getting my 1.5JZ turbo SC300, I found an even more shocking statistic from my insurance. My 94 TT Supra is the same symbol as my 94 SC300 That's just f'ed up right there. If I were to total my SC, I'd be lucky to get $4k out of the insurance yet my insurance is the same price (and they have no idea what's under the hood).

Needless to say I'm looking into some of the collector insurance companies that you can set your value since I won't be driving the SC much.
Old 03-03-10, 07:46 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Now that is some good info on the matter. My insurance company, told me that my Lexus is more to insure due to it having a V-8 and a 2 door coupe. Its 40 more a month than my Beemer is and its 10 years older.... Go figure?

Would GAP insurance help?
Old 03-03-10, 02:44 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i would buy the sc over the supra over and over and over again, this thread is pretty pathetic. there is no point. with the same amount of money in buying a supra spend it on the sc and it will spank the supra. IMO the supra is too round it looks like a fish. the sc looks more low and sleek, looks like its going fast standing still. its just a supra in a fat suit and i think it is way more comfortable than a supra.

buy a na auto supra, swap a twin turbo and a 6 speed and sell it, then take that money and make a crazy sc.
Old 03-03-10, 04:06 PM
AusSC400
Rookie

Someone make a movie with an SC in it.
Old 03-03-10, 04:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^there's short films on youtube
Old 03-03-10, 04:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jonboyb
First of all.....I have both, but I bought my Supra TT over 10 years ago before the movie. While F&F certainly bumped the prices.......they were still silly expensive before the movie. After recently getting my 1.5JZ turbo SC300, I found an even more shocking statistic from my insurance. My 94 TT Supra is the same symbol as my 94 SC300 That's just f'ed up right there. If I were to total my SC, I'd be lucky to get $4k out of the insurance yet my insurance is the same price (and they have no idea what's under the hood).

Needless to say I'm looking into some of the collector insurance companies that you can set your value since I won't be driving the SC much.
i knew they would have been still expensive before that movie came out.
Old 03-03-10, 05:16 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ricers were already getting boners for supras before the movie. this fact is always (selectively) ignored

Look at their target market, and see why:
SCs were pandered to older folks or middle age professionals in its time. That generation already moved on to newer cars as the years roll through, leaving behind an over saturated market for pseudo-luxury coupes (in today's definition). If you think SCs are "rare", look at the local dealer lots and private ads. Luxury cars have a good history of dropping in value once it leaves the dealer lot (BMWs, Mercedes), and since only a very small percentage of people know about its similarities to supras, their market value tanks. It follows the model for price depreciation over time.

MKIVs were geared for enthusiast and upstart professionals with money to burn. It was already legendary when it was released; breaking performance barriers at its price tag and giving most super cars a run for its money (sound familiar?). This leaves a longer lasting impression to most people which influences the market's price tolerance for it. Oh yeah, that movie helped a little bit, but only popularizes what its already known.

To put things into perspective:
Once the GTR drops to an affordable price bracket in a few decades, everyone will be running to grab them up. The G35 will be seen as "old luxury", drop in price, and a small group of die hard fans will still cling on to it, shaking its fist at the GTR as the bloated, fat and unrefined version... at the same time latching on to idea that they are essentially 'cousins' and associating to its fame whenever it fits. Then swapping in engines, etc.

Summary:
desirable cars = pricey

I hope that makes sense

thread ends here

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 03-03-10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 06:06 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I agree. Please close!