SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

BFI Mod Or Short Ram Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 10:23 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI Mod Or Short Ram Intake?

Okay guys, I know that there isn't any company that really makes a CAI for our SC's, the only intake I know of is the Injen short ram intake, which is like $250 bucks. I would like to get an intake before I develop my custom exhaust. I would like to go with a CAI for my SC, but since there isn't any available like I said (I guess I could customize one to fit), I am stuck between either doing the BFI mod or buying the Injen short ram for my SC.

My question is, which one delivers more performance and which one is easiest to install or do?
Old 03-04-10, 10:50 PM
Slade
Pole Position

This has been covered many times. Please use the search function. But let you know the first time around, the BFI is most efficient for our cars. Your actually getting forced air into the intake. A shortram your basically getting heat soak from the engine which isn't as good. I believe there has been dynos to compare the two also. BFI wins.
Old 03-05-10, 08:10 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BFI. close thread fur-real.
Old 03-05-10, 08:26 AM
Teflon Don
Rookie

BFI all the way. I even use a BFI on my big single:

Old 03-05-10, 09:48 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Teflon Don

Now that is something new, very nice

I guess its safe to say BFI all the way now.
Old 03-05-10, 10:12 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

If you wanna go BFI, I have an extra airbox if you need it
Old 03-05-10, 10:14 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Teflon Don

That should answer your question, BFI. Not even a question.
Old 03-05-10, 10:44 AM
Teflon Don
Rookie

you can't go wrong. Its heat shielded which is paramount. Great flow through the panel filter (i went with apexi). And if you get some good air to it even better. Most importantly, you are not getting ripped off for 100s £! I fitted 2 ducts on the front bumper and ducted them to the box. When you are rolling it really forces air into that box.

Old 03-05-10, 10:59 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

damn that is epic win Teflon Don. Nice work. Ill probably do something similar once i go with a FFIM.
Old 03-05-10, 01:20 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

So what exactly is the BFI mod? I know it involves something with cutting the stock airbox open where the filter is, but how would that make you go faster and get better air flow? It looks like it functions the same exact way the Injen short ram intake would by breathing in warm engine bay air. Can someone tell me in a nutshell how this works better than CAI or short ram intake? I'm not asking how to install one, but how does it work? I have been searching on the search function and haven't found many straight forward answers. I did find the "tutorial" on planetsoarer.com though, which isn't very straight forward either lol. Theres WAY too many details on there.
Old 03-05-10, 01:32 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slade
This has been covered many times. Please use the search function. But let you know the first time around, the BFI is most efficient for our cars. Your actually getting forced air into the intake. A shortram your basically getting heat soak from the engine which isn't as good. I believe there has been dynos to compare the two also. BFI wins.
Not necessarily true. If you want some cold air ,you better remove the coolant hose that flows through your TB...otherwise the air is getting hot in the TB anyway.
Old 03-05-10, 01:39 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rooticon
So what exactly is the BFI mod? I know it involves something with cutting the stock airbox open where the filter is, but how would that make you go faster and get better air flow? It looks like it functions the same exact way the Injen short ram intake would by breathing in warm engine bay air. Can someone tell me in a nutshell how this works better than CAI or short ram intake? I'm not asking how to install one, but how does it work? I have been searching on the search function and haven't found many straight forward answers. I did find the "tutorial" on planetsoarer.com though, which isn't very straight forward either lol. Theres WAY too many details on there.
think of it like this...without the BFI mod, your car is breathing about as good as you would be in a full sprint trying to breathe through a coffee straw..with the BFI mod, your car is breathing how you would be while running in a full sprint with a 3'' piece of pvc holding your mouth open..make sense?

BFI is better than the Injen IMO #1 cause you keep the oem rubber intake hose that isnt prone to heat soak like the aluminum from the Injen pipe. #2 yes a cone filter has more breathing surface, but 1/2 of that surface is towards warm air. While with the BFI, no heat soak due to aluminum, the air is being pulled from directly behind your headlight and less prone to pulling hot air..and route some ducting like Teflon did above, and your just full of fresh cool air.

BFI FTW~!
Old 03-05-10, 01:45 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
think of it like this...without the BFI mod, your car is breathing about as good as you would be in a full sprint trying to breathe through a coffee straw..with the BFI mod, your car is breathing how you would be while running in a full sprint with a 3'' piece of pvc holding your mouth open..make sense?

BFI is better than the Injen IMO #1 cause you keep the oem rubber intake hose that isnt prone to heat soak like the aluminum from the Injen pipe. #2 yes a cone filter has more breathing surface, but 1/2 of that surface is towards warm air. While with the BFI, no heat soak due to aluminum, the air is being pulled from directly behind your headlight and less prone to pulling hot air..and route some ducting like Teflon did above, and your just full of fresh cool air.

BFI FTW~!
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense now. Thank you for explaining it lol.
Old 03-06-10, 04:21 AM
Teflon Don
Rookie

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
If you want some cold air ,you better remove the coolant hose that flows through your TB...otherwise the air is getting hot in the TB anyway.
I did this loooong time ago! I'm guessing it was to stop the tb siezing in cold temps. Not really a problem in warmer climates.

When i went with my 90mm aftermarket tb, i removed all the piping for this system.

top tip
Old 03-06-10, 04:28 AM
Teflon Don
Rookie

Id also like to question the validity of the claim cones flow better than panels.

If you cut a cone filter in half and lay it out flat, there is no way it is bigger than the panel(obviously depending on cone size). This is going on most of the aftermarket cones ive seen on our cars. Ive seen reeeaally big cones on supas but having them in the engine bay just subjects them to crazy amounts of heat soak.

Alot of people feel they are getting more flow from a cone because they can hear the airflow noise of the cone.

When doing the BFI, cut as much material from the front of the box as you can without causing structural weakness to the box.