SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sourcing USDM engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10 | 11:35 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

If I decide to go NA-T, what happens if I get pulled over? I just get a ref ticket right?
Old 03-09-10 | 11:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TomLee
If I decide to go NA-T, what happens if I get pulled over? I just get a ref ticket right?
You tell the cop you bought the car like that and don't know what it is.
Old 03-09-10 | 11:44 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
You tell the cop you bought the car like that and don't know what it is.
and pay a hefty fine unless you put it back to stock or sell the car
Old 03-09-10 | 11:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vinh
and pay a hefty fine unless you put it back to stock or sell the car
The fine really just depends on the judge. My friend paid 300 bucks and didn't fix his car.
Old 03-09-10 | 11:57 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

The fine really just depends on the judge. My friend paid 300 bucks and didn't fix his car.
agreed, my cousin paid about 250 for his ref ticket. But my other friend also paid 1400.

But being as your motor burns 5qts of oil every month tom, maybe a swap would be better for you.
Old 03-09-10 | 11:59 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

5 quarts a month? wow...
Old 03-10-10 | 12:04 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Its alot to burn, but I also drive alotttt.. My valve cover gasket is messed up i think, thats my conclusion. Thats why I have so much white smoke at start up??

Anyways...na-t seems so much cheaper then a swap. And to return everything back to stock doesnt seem that bad...
Old 03-10-10 | 12:43 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Valve cover gasket isn't a major leak, so it wouldn't explain 5 quarts of oil a month. If you're really burning 5 quarts a month then there is a big problem.
Old 03-10-10 | 12:46 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Its alot to burn, but I also drive alotttt.. My valve cover gasket is messed up i think, thats my conclusion. Thats why I have so much white smoke at start up??

Anyways...na-t seems so much cheaper then a swap. And to return everything back to stock doesnt seem that bad...
i wouldn't say na-t is cheaper than a swap. 1jz's go for about 1k now and you get the reliability of a factory turbo'd engine. Going na-t you could get some ebay manifolds, a t67, and try to run a factory fuel setup for pretty cheap. But that probably isn't the best route. I think a quality na-t setup would be around 3k (very subjective though).....so no one quote me on that. Being that your motor has over 200k and burns a ****load of oil, you might want to consider a swap for reliability issues since you drive so much. But going na-t you can easily get 350rwhp as opposed to a 300hp (possibly 300rwhp if you go bpu) on a swap. Another thing to consider is on na-t if you get pulled over with your fmic and and that turbo sitting right there on the passenger side, you're probably going to get fawked by the long **** of the law for sure. I got pulled over a few times in my 1jz and they popped my hood but didn't say anything (although i was running the factory smic and my car was old man tan)
Old 03-10-10 | 12:54 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Valve cover gasket isn't a major leak, so it wouldn't explain 5 quarts of oil a month. If you're really burning 5 quarts a month then there is a big problem.
its more like 2-3 quarts a month, and im driving like 2000 miles a month lol
Old 03-10-10 | 01:39 AM
Nemesis400
Driver School Candidate

I just searched the entire California C.A.R.B. website for approved turbo kits for that engine. I didn't find a single one for the 2jz. That sucks
Old 03-10-10 | 01:50 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

^yup, you won't find that
Old 03-10-10 | 02:06 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

However a USDM 2jz-gte swap is legal....but impossible to find!
Old 03-10-10 | 08:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by jadu
Ali, do you mean taking off the NA-T setup and putting it back on?
no, i meant the emissions equipment. it take only a short amount of time to remove and put all the egr/evap stuff back on your car.
most of us could live for a few days with egr back on.

it probably just needs to have all the seals replaced...
If you swap in any engine without doing the maintenance on it you are asking for trouble, especially if its JDM.
To me, this has to be done regardless.

Originally Posted by vinh
i wouldn't say na-t is cheaper than a swap. 1jz's go for about 1k now and you get the reliability of a factory turbo'd engine. Going na-t you could get some ebay manifolds, a t67, and try to run a factory fuel setup for pretty cheap. But that probably isn't the best route. I think a quality na-t setup would be around 3k (very subjective though).....so no one quote me on that. Being that your motor has over 200k and burns a ****load of oil, you might want to consider a swap for reliability issues since you drive so much. But going na-t you can easily get 350rwhp as opposed to a 300hp (possibly 300rwhp if you go bpu) on a swap. Another thing to consider is on na-t if you get pulled over with your fmic and and that turbo sitting right there on the passenger side, you're probably going to get fawked by the long **** of the law for sure. I got pulled over a few times in my 1jz and they popped my hood but didn't say anything (although i was running the factory smic and my car was old man tan)
I just don't understand why everyone thinks a swap has to be a 1jzgte or a 2jzgte. he could pick up another 2jz-ge for a couple hundred bucks and build it outside of the car... and you can totally use a sidemount on a low boost na-t. there are no guidlines requiring you to have a huge front mount.
you could even get the piping from a jm-gte which has very similar routing to a na-t cause of the intake manifold design.
A nice turbo shield and the factory intercooler piping it wont look that crazy.
not too mention if you really had to take it in it still has the stock engine and all the emissions in place.

max you may have to take the manifold/turbo off for a couple of days and throw your stock header back on, compared to just staring at your jdm gte knowing it will never pass a proper inspection no matter what you do.

I would just plug the feed line and drain line, disconnect the exhaust at the midpipe, remove the manifold and yank it all out at once if clearance allows.
insert stock header (don't throw it away) and stock intake pipe.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-10-10 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-10-10 | 09:47 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

However a USDM 2jz-gte swap is legal....but impossible to find!
my car is apart of the extremely few swapped legal CA sc300s wait for me to sell it then you can buy it? =P

i would not go NA-T in CA. your whole engine bay will be shiny asking to get popped! your turbo is out in the open.. at least the TT turbos are hidden by the piping and everything looks OEM.

If you want more power than BPU++ on the streets dont be daily driving your sc300 in CA (im fine with BPU traffic stops me from going pass 100mph most of the time anyways even at 1am in the morning theres STILL CARS! on the damn freeway!). Start making it your weekend drift/track car for illegal and high HP.

I wished i lived in florida... -_-

I spent the money and searched and waiting for the right setup. Too many times I have had friends get screwed from refs for SR, B series, K series, 3SGTE JDM swaps.. and it was a nightmare for them to take care of it.

Tom, source a JDM motor and convert it all USDM with parts from supraforums. alot of ppl going to single will sell you their TT stock USDM setup. slap on EGR (sc300 one works i believe) and the stock downpipe,cats and you should be fine.

Also, Tom if your coming out to Hooters on thursday ill let you check my engine bay out give you an idea also. Vinh seen it its like 100% OEM looking.

Last edited by eliteskill; 03-10-10 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Sourcing USDM engines