SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sourcing USDM engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 10:30 AM
AngrySC3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Hooter this Thursday I'm for sure this time, I want to see your setup and meet the crowd.
Old 03-10-10, 10:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
my car is apart of the extremely few swapped legal CA sc300s wait for me to sell it then you can buy it? =P

i would not go NA-T in CA. your whole engine bay will be shiny asking to get popped! your turbo is out in the open.. at least the TT turbos are hidden by the piping and everything looks OEM.

If you want more power than BPU++ on the streets dont be daily driving your sc300 in CA (im fine with BPU traffic stops me from going pass 100mph most of the time anyways even at 1am in the morning theres STILL CARS! on the damn freeway!). Start making it your weekend drift/track car for illegal and high HP.

I wished i lived in florida... -_-

I spent the money and searched and waiting for the right setup. Too many times I have had friends get screwed from refs for SR, B series, K series, 3SGTE JDM swaps.. and it was a nightmare for them to take care of it.

Tom, source a JDM motor and convert it all USDM with parts from supraforums. alot of ppl going to single will sell you their TT stock USDM setup. slap on EGR (sc300 one works i believe) and the stock downpipe,cats and you should be fine.

Also, Tom if your coming out to Hooters on thursday ill let you check my engine bay out give you an idea also. Vinh seen it its like 100% OEM looking.
True, you always have the option of finding a USDM TT head to slap on a JDM block with all the stock goodness (or on your stock 2jz-ge bottom end for that matter, save some $$) and it will be fully emissions friendly.
Its not as simple as slapping on an sc300 egr to a JDM head though.. cause I don't think the JDM head has the internal connections.
with some cutting and welding though, a shop could probably make it work.
Old 03-10-10, 10:56 AM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

From my understanding "coming from the horse's mouth" the state ref said that with the wrong engine code on the block is a automatic FAIL....this was according to the state REF of CA in Santa Ana...

The first thing they check is the VIN on the block to see if it is a legitimate block....if it isn't, well thats self explanatory....

Good Luck...If you find 2 let me know!
Old 03-10-10, 11:13 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

I believe a ref if they want to WILL find something to pop you for when you bring your car in.

No swap will always be 100% legal. You just fake your way to pass/get lucky/minimize risk

The best way to avoid this is to not get a ref ticket period. How to not get a ref ticket? make sure your car engine bay is not anyway or form looking like its modded so the cops dont have reason to give you a ref ticket. Just enough to pass smog or buy your smog.

This only lowers your chances, does not make you immune. Anything can happen. This is what we pay for living in CA.

The SC300 will be my last swapped car. After this im going go legit nonswapped motors so I wont ever worry when a cop rolls next to me.

Last edited by eliteskill; 03-10-10 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-10-10, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the block wont have the wrong code if you use your original block.
bolt on the stock USDM TT head and thats your best chances of sneaking by.
next would be a complete usdm TT motor (they all have 2jz stamped on them).

na-t is good for having all the emissions equipment in place, but harder to pass california visual apparently.
JDM motor swaps will not have egr.
most other places visual is a check of the operation of the emission components, not if you have aftermarket stuff installed on your car which is why i suggested na-t but I forgot about the silly carb legal stuff in cali.

as eliteskill said there is always a risk.
Old 03-10-10, 09:38 PM
1995Lexusc
Pole Position

basically it comes down to having a spare USDM with all emission in california to swap in and out of your beastly motor or a regular bone stock car with all emission and switch vin n plates when you get smogged or get ur JDM block etched it with vin number lol

Motor swaps in california states if your going to do a swap it has to be at least the same year or newer U.S. engine with all the emission.

Last but not least, if you do not want to deal with smog, visit another state with no emission law register there with that state license plate , bring it back here and drive it =)
Old 03-10-10, 09:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

eliteskill, you inspire me to finish my USDM swap

haha just life gets in the way...
Old 03-10-10, 09:44 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1995Lexusc
basically it comes down to having a spare USDM with all emission in california to swap in and out of your beastly motor or a regular bone stock car with all emission and switch vin n plates when you get smogged or get ur JDM block etched it with vin number lol

Motor swaps in california states if your going to do a swap it has to be at least the same year or newer U.S. engine with all the emission.

Last but not least, if you do not want to deal with smog, visit another state with no emission law register there with that state license plate , bring it back here and drive it =)

I thought about doing the out of state thing, but you have to live out of state to apply for an out of state license i think
Old 03-10-10, 09:45 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AngrySC3
I'm going to Hooter this Thursday I'm for sure this time, I want to see your setup and meet the crowd.

Do it man! Then I can compare your jdm swap with eliteskillz usdm swap! two gte's together...@ Hooters?!??!?!?1?? weee im gonna nut myself.
Old 03-10-10, 10:11 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

california is starting to be retarded. if they start having those portable emission things at exits and on ramps its gonna suck!
Old 03-10-10, 10:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
california is starting to be retarded. if they start having those portable emission things at exits and on ramps its gonna suck!
They have those every now and then on the 405 in Orange County.
Old 03-10-10, 10:59 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

oh my god.. im like this close "_" to leaving this bull **** state.
Old 03-10-10, 11:48 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i would just boost.......and deal with it as it comes

You may or may not get royally screwed.
Old 03-11-10, 11:49 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

oh my god.. im like this close "_" to leaving this bull **** state.
I know exactly how you feel.
Old 03-11-10, 12:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that is the worst thing ever invented.. you get a letter saying that your car was spotted and then you have to take it in for a test, even if you just had one.