SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sourcing USDM engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 12:12 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sourcing USDM engines

Anyone know of a solid source to source a USDM 2jz-gte?

If not, anyone know the cost of custom drilling the proper ports for a EGR valve setup on a JDM 2j?

Also does anyone know the ECU differences between JDM and USDM spec engines?
Old 03-06-10, 12:16 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

gl in the search. supraforums has a USDM engine for sale time and again, but it still feels like a needle in a haystack
Old 03-06-10, 12:21 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

You think I can get a fake EGR installed to pass visual? Im sure a stock JDM 2j will pass smog anyways, as long as i utilize all the stock sc cats
Old 03-06-10, 01:51 AM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

unlike jdm 2jz-gtes, there's isn't a constant supply of usdm 2jz-gtes coming in so i don't know if there really is a solid source that will have them readily available. but like jadu suggested, supraforums will probably be your best bet. i haven't really looked into it a very very long time, but in the past, sp engineering and signal auto have said they could sometimes get them.

not really sure about the cost, since it's not a common mod that a lot of people do, but i would suggest just replacing the head and intake manifold w/ usdm versions if you want egr. since some people will want to get rid of the egr, maybe you could find someone to trade with. of course you'd need the ecu also... but i think the fuel is going to be different since injector sizes are different.

as far as passing smog... i'm assuming you want a bar sticker from a smog ref? i think in general, smog refs are pretty thorough so i'm not sure about your chances of pulling a fast one on them with a fake egr.
Old 03-06-10, 02:03 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Supra forums will be your best bet, but considering how strict ca smog regs are, its going to be very hard to pass it.
Old 03-07-10, 11:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by potatoBBQ
unlike jdm 2jz-gtes, there's isn't a constant supply of usdm 2jz-gtes coming in so i don't know if there really is a solid source that will have them readily available. but like jadu suggested, supraforums will probably be your best bet. i haven't really looked into it a very very long time, but in the past, sp engineering and signal auto have said they could sometimes get them.

not really sure about the cost, since it's not a common mod that a lot of people do, but i would suggest just replacing the head and intake manifold w/ usdm versions if you want egr. since some people will want to get rid of the egr, maybe you could find someone to trade with. of course you'd need the ecu also... but i think the fuel is going to be different since injector sizes are different.

as far as passing smog... i'm assuming you want a bar sticker from a smog ref? i think in general, smog refs are pretty thorough so i'm not sure about your chances of pulling a fast one on them with a fake egr.

I've also thought about barring the SC with a USDM GTE engine. What you mention brings up the question, is it possible to bar the car piecing together USDM 2JZGTE engine parts?? From what I read, the refs are ridiculously thorough, but for example, would they know if you have a JDM block or head? I have yet to figure out these answers, or look further into it. The next step would probably to get in touch with the California bar and get the information from the directly, because I have started gathering pieces of the GTE; ECU, IM, & TB, but I have not gone and purchased any bigger pieces
Old 03-08-10, 12:20 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

I actually have a state ref at my school. I have a bunch of friends in auto, and they said for me to come in whenever to talk to him. I'll try to get some answers for you.

I think that should all fly, all they really care about is the smog requirements...so EGR and Cats? It's be nice to have a barred engine though...then you could throw a fat intercooler and when a cop pulls you over, your just like...IN YO FACE, 100% Legal DAWG!
Old 03-08-10, 06:04 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomLee
It's be nice to have a barred engine though...then you could throw a fat intercooler and when a cop pulls you over, your just like...IN YO FACE, 100% Legal DAWG!
I lol'd

Jonny
Old 03-08-10, 08:30 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone know of a solid source to source a USDM 2jz-gte?

If not, anyone know the cost of custom drilling the proper ports for a EGR valve setup on a JDM 2j?

Also does anyone know the ECU differences between JDM and USDM spec engines?
USDM ECU has the engine codes to detect EGR i believe. JDM didnt come with it so the ECU doesnt throw a CEL with it. I have the USDM ECU mine threw the CEL when my EGR was messing up. JDM ECU runs richer because of no EGR so tune it. This gets expensive setting up a USDM spec motor (rare) or.. taking a JDM one and adding all the USDM spec stuff.. which will net you a better motor 320 over 280hp better injectors and turbos, and CA legal. Main reason I wanted a USDM motor for smog purposes. Im not going toss 10k in my engine and have a ref take it away from me like those 1JZ out there. or JDM gte.

You think I can get a fake EGR installed to pass visual? Im sure a stock JDM 2j will pass smog anyways, as long as i utilize all the stock sc cats
utilize the stock downpipe also. Do you have someone to pass you visually? Even with the EGR you have a huge value cover saying TWIN TURBO. MY USDM GTE passed smog with flying colors I have EGR n everything stock (side mount cooler also). No BARR yet because i dont wanna risk refs nit picking at my engine bay and then telling me im screwed somehow. ill go whenever i get a ref ticket.

I actually have a state ref at my school. I have a bunch of friends in auto, and they said for me to come in whenever to talk to him. I'll try to get some answers for you.

I think that should all fly, all they really care about is the smog requirements...so EGR and Cats? It's be nice to have a barred engine though...then you could throw a fat intercooler and when a cop pulls you over, your just like...IN YO FACE, 100% Legal DAWG!
Dont use a fat intercooler in front if your not looking for mass HP. its only for looks and in CA your going get pulled over for that. The stock side mount can handle BPU power already (15-17psi TT). Go front intercooler if you are Single GTE 18+ psi. Im pretty sleeper stock 97+ and 18" rims only thing that makes me noticeable is my DUAL FAT HKS exhaust in the back, but even my HKS BOV is recirulated so it only sounds when im on it HARD. Cops just drive pass me without looking.

Last edited by eliteskill; 03-08-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 10:09 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

^thanks for the good info.. I dont wanna waste 10k either
Old 03-08-10, 11:51 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Tom, are you getting tired of people asking you what is under the hood?
Old 03-08-10, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

technically a good inspector will actually pull up on the egr diaphram to test the operation of the valve. once they notice that had no affect on your engine you would fail.
Every state is different but if those refs are as intense as everyone says they are, I wouldn't try and pull a fast one or take the car in unless there was no other choice.

I dont see why you couldnt have a jdm block. no one would care as long as it has a usdm head on top of it. at that point you spend so much money you could have gone full na-t with a standalone which already has egr instead of piecing alot of expensive gte blocks together, not to mention good swaps are getting harder to find these days.
Thats half the reason I went na-t. already smog compliant and if you disable it, it only takes a few hours to connect it all back up.
Old 03-08-10, 12:41 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Ali, do you mean taking off the NA-T setup and putting it back on?
Old 03-08-10, 12:48 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
technically a good inspector will actually pull up on the egr diaphram to test the operation of the valve. once they notice that had no affect on your engine you would fail.
Every state is different but if those refs are as intense as everyone says they are, I wouldn't try and pull a fast one or take the car in unless there was no other choice..
yep thats me, even tho i know i have a very good chance to pass BARR i wouldnt go until i need to. I just have it this way for piece of mind. I will be happy with BPU GTE 400hp is enuff for a daily driver while looking sleeper from cops. If I lived somewhere else I would of just kept my widebody on lol
Old 03-08-10, 04:06 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Tom, are you getting tired of people asking you what is under the hood?
Haha done as can be

Quick Reply: Sourcing USDM engines