SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

missing vin tag

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 08:14 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default missing vin tag

i was looking at a sc300 last night that i found through my local craigslist ad. the owner sent me pictures so i took the hour and a half drive out to see the car. mileage check out to what the posted in the ad and had some minor leaks which i would expect from a 220k mile car. car drove fine and i didnt see ne rust. so i talked the owner down from his original asking price which we both agreed upon and i left a $100 deposit as he was going inside to make copys of the agreement i went to the window to copy down the vin as a 'just in case' and there was no vin tag in the window my friend who was with me at the time said im sure it just fell into the dash no big deal. his word held me over for the car ride home but last night i started getting an uneasy feeling about it so i come to the experts here asking if neone has ever dealt with a situation like this. im supposed to go back and pick up the car tonight but i would rather lose $100 rather then the rest of the money owed
Old 03-08-10, 08:22 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a vin stamp under the hood, and in the driver side door jamb..write the vin down and have it checked out before you buy the car..vin tags dont just fall off, they are riveted in place for a reason..sounds suspicious to me
The following users liked this post:
scsexy (02-23-21)
Old 03-08-10, 08:24 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

thats what i was going to do turbo but i looked in all the usual spots, window (gone obviously) both doors engine bay and the only thing close to a vin that i saw was behind the engine on the firewall and it said "JZZ310008897"
Old 03-08-10, 08:24 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to cl first of, i was in ur situation 2 years ago before i was able to get my black sc i was going to buy this other sc from this other guy. and the vin was missing i called the dmv and they told me since the vin was missing they wouldent register it at ALL so i got my cash back asap took me a week to track him down but caught him in a bar and he cashed me out.

in your case call the dmv see what they say and do a carfax a vin is the most important thing u can have or do a motor vechile search on the vin on the title to see who name its in but go get ur cash back ASAP push come to shove theirs memeber here on the forum that will lead u to a car or sell you thiers
Old 03-08-10, 08:25 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I suppose there are many different explanations for the missing VIN tag but the most likely would be that this is a stolen or salvaged car or that the VIN tag was reloctated to a stolen car. There are VIN numbers on other parts of the car. Are there VIN stickers on the door or any of the other parts of the car? I would have to want the car awfully bad to by it with the missing tag regardless of the explanation. I'm not even sure you would be able to get it titled and licensed. Any chance of a CarFacts with what is supposed to be the correct VIN?

Good luck - and be careful.

Dave Mac
Old 03-08-10, 08:25 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

ur missing 5 of ur 17 numbers
Old 03-08-10, 08:28 AM
Johnny3
Rookie

Tell him you need to see the title, make sure it matches the car & is clear.
Old 03-08-10, 08:42 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

i just walk away man
Old 03-08-10, 08:45 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

no i did not see the vin tags on various parts of the car. i asked where the door sticker was and he pointed to NY inspection numbers which i replyed no way.
Old 03-08-10, 08:52 AM
Neo300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds mega sketch to me...
Old 03-08-10, 09:10 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo300
thats what i was thinking last night
Old 03-08-10, 09:46 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Car could be stolen and parts replaced to prevent someone recognizing the mismatching VIN numbers. Check all the door panels/jambs, trunk jamb, and under the hood for the VIN number. If they are all missing, do not buy the car, because chances are the car has been stolen and VIN numbers have been stripped to hide the fact that it has been reported stolen. Or, if the VIN numbers are mismatching, don't buy it either because that should through a red flag too. Tell that guy to fuuck off and give your money back. He's obviously a scumbag. Don't buy the car. There are plenty of better SC's with honest owners out there selling for a good price.
Old 03-08-10, 09:56 AM
jonboyb
Driver

A little off-topic.....but have other people noticed how hard the windshield VIN tag is to read. When I first looked at my SC I thought he tag was gone until I looked closely with a flashlight and saw the numbers. My Supra and SC are both 1994 models.....but the Supra has an easlity viewable VIN.
Old 03-08-10, 10:39 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t70 supra
i just walk away man
Originally Posted by Neo300
Originally Posted by rooticon
... chances are the car has been stolen and VIN numbers have been stripped to hide the fact ... Tell that guy to fuuck off and give your money back. ... Don't buy the car. .....
+10000000

This sounds like a nightmare.

BTW, When you ask the guy for your money back, if he gives you ANY grief, tell him your brother/uncle/neighbor/whoever is a cop and that you'll report him. That should make him back off. Better yet, call the cops anyway and DO report him; I can't imagine they wouldn't be interested to here why someone is selling a car that's had all it's vin numbers stripped.
Old 03-08-10, 11:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah man, you might loose 100 bucks... but if you don't walk away right now you can loose much more, not to mention you won't know the condition of the title or if there is a lean on it cause any title he gives you there will be no way to prove its the title for that car.
try and get your $100 back and walk away

Quick Reply: missing vin tag