Stereo issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 03:54 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo issues

Hey all,

So I've got the most absurd problem with my stock Nakamichi stereo and was wondering if anybody else had run into something similar.

After any heavy rainfall my radio cuts out, but not completely. All the displays work fine and if I crank the volume up all the way I can faintly hear the sound (it sounds similar to hitting the mute button on an aftermarket stereo) which makes me think there's some sort of problem with the amplifier. The thing that gets me the most is that after a week or so the problem seems to fix itself as if all it needed was a few days to dry out or something . The first time this ever happened I was close to just dubbing it KIA and opting for an Eclipse Double DIN navigation set up, but after it started working again I decided to save my $750. However it's happened so frequently now that I'm trying using the problem as rationale for buying a new touch screen

Anyways, like I said, it ONLY happens after heavy rainfall...maybe I have a leak somewhere? I'm honestly at a loss, if anybody has any ideas please shed some light on the matter, I'd really appreciate it .
Old 03-09-10, 07:02 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory amp in trunk underneath cd changer. Check for moisture.
Old 03-09-10, 08:26 PM
gifford546
Driver School Candidate

An easy thing to check is Underneath the rear seat on the drivers side there is an orange clip. the mute line is somewhere in this connector. I'm not sure where but I know its there. Check to see if any connectors are corroded or if water is getting underneath the seat. This happened to me because my sunroof drain was clogged and the water collected underneath the seat. (To remove the seat pull up in the middle of each bucket and then it should come right out.)
Old 03-09-10, 09:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is off of the subject, but where in Alabama are you from?
Old 03-10-10, 08:40 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Originally Posted by shern
+1..

Pull up the trunk lining on the passenger side, reach your arm down in there and wiggle the wires around (you might want to wear a glove). Turn your stereo about a quarter of half of the way up and see if wiggling the wires makes the sound come on. Also, check to make sure that the little tube from the gas cap area and the big tube which runs down from somewhere else are both going out of the bottom of the car, as opposed to just filling up that big hollow area with water. The exit holes on the bottom of the car for those tubes might be clogged with dirt or mud, preventing the collected water from draining. Or, the tubes themselves might be clogged. This is where I'd start, though.
Old 03-10-10, 09:26 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Thanks for the suggestions

I'll update once I try them out, hopefully it's nothing too terrible. I had read about the drain tubes being clogged on other sites as well so I imagine that's the most likely culprit.

Appreciate the help
Old 03-10-10, 10:15 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shern
+1, before when I had the stock stereo. when it rained or when I wash my car my stereo always goes out on me. I always had moisture coming into this area somehow. Im thinking I have a worn trunk weatherstrip..
Old 03-10-10, 10:22 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Well, there's good and bad news

My stereo magically started working properly again, however most of the trunk lining was almost soaked, especially on the back wall and the areas above the spare tire . The spare has got a tiny bit of rust on it, but that may have just been from being old. I'm pretty sure lemaylexus's suggestion is correct, though I couldn't actually see the tubes. All the stereo components seemed dry, but as it actually started working again I may just have to wait and see after the next rainfall.

For now all seems well, but I'm sure it'll happen yet again

Thanks for all the help everybody!
Old 03-10-10, 10:44 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

VKBSC3, My advice don't wait until another rainy day to find out, disconnect your Cd Unit and the amp will be visible. Locate the drain tube near the amp. The drain tube may have a pin hole or moved up/out of the designated drain hole where the water exits under the car. If you see any rust/water remove your amp immediately and let dry.