SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

anybody has Clifford G5 or any clifford with issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 04:40 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody has Clifford G5 or any clifford with issues?

I got my alarm installed about a week ago in my 92 SC4. Starting a few days ago I've been having a issue when I park my car somewhere and take of the key all power to the alarm goes off. Doors dont lock/unlock with remote and ignition doesnt start but dash lights and radio comes on. The first 2 times it has happened after 20-30min go by the alarm would just come back up and everything is good but yesterday it happend again but the alarm never came on in over 2hrs. I took out the buttom panel and checked the fuse and it was good but when I put it back it the alarm came back into action. Called the installation shop and they have replaced with a new one but the new one is giving me the same issue. Has anyone had this happen or can know what it can be??
Old 03-10-10, 06:07 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. this should go in the electronics section not here

2. not a hardware issue. i installed DEI rem starts/alarms for 6 years and i think i had maybe a hand full bad one over that time. i still buy refurbished units all the time without issues.

3. i think it is a wiring issue. on the DEI systems you have the main power harness that goes to your ignition cylinder/harness. the unit itself is powered by a separate 18ga power wire. i usually tie that wire into that main ignition harness. some people dont. i think you have a cold solder joint somewhere.

where did you have it installed? if its best buy i would bet that they didnt even solder it in lol

does it happen more often in the evening or early in the morning?
Old 03-10-10, 06:28 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the above poster, sounds like a connection issue, especially since it randomly came back on after you removed and reinstalled the lower dash panel. Cold solder joints/poor connections can cause intermittent issues like you described.

It's Best Buy policy to solder and they don't carry Clifford, so I would say it probably wasn't installed there. Do the connections look like they were soldered and taped or t-tapped?

I would take it back to the place that installed it and have them check the power connection points.
Old 03-10-10, 06:31 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty6486
It's Best Buy policy to solder and they don't carry Clifford, so I would say it probably wasn't installed there.
it is their policy but it doesnt mean they abide by it. i know at Twitter the policy was TNT=twist n tape lol

clifford is a DEI brand and here in IL best buy carries it. 2 days ago i removed a best buy installed clifford rx3.5 system.
Old 03-10-10, 06:55 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
it is their policy but it doesnt mean they abide by it. i know at Twitter the policy was TNT=twist n tape lol

clifford is a DEI brand and here in IL best buy carries it. 2 days ago i removed a best buy installed clifford rx3.5 system.
Odd, I work for the BBY extremely part time and have never come across any Clifford skus, only Viper and Avital along the lines of DEI. Unfortunately quality can greatly vary from installer to installer and shop to shop. Here in STL we seem to have an abundance of shops that don't like to solder or love to use loose fitting t-taps, which is probably the case everywhere.
Old 03-10-10, 08:29 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

when I took the fuse off yesterday I saw some wires taped and some had the lil metal connecting thing that you press with a vise grip to tighten the wire(dont know the name) lol....I'm going back to the shop that did it(not bestbuy) but I the guy told me he'll take off the ignition but my blackjak isnt going to work. I'm going to see what I can get them to do cause it's useless for me to pay the cost for blackjak and not have it working.
Old 03-10-10, 09:17 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Sounds like they may have used t-taps, which don't always make the most reliable connection. The BlackJax module should be able to be used in conjunction with the alarm without any issue when setup properly. Most Clifford dealers have access to DEI's tech support lines, so if they have an issue they can't resolve they can call for help. Don't let them disconnect it just because they say they "have to" and don't let yourself fall victim to a shop that refuses to do an install correctly.
Old 03-10-10, 10:11 AM
RawkusX187
Lexus Test Driver

ok sounds good....I was'nt going to let them anyways. I paid a nice a amount for top quality so they're going to have to find something out.
Old 03-10-10, 03:22 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scotty6486
Odd, I work for the BBY extremely part time and have never come across any Clifford skus, only Viper and Avital along the lines of DEI. Unfortunately quality can greatly vary from installer to installer and shop to shop. Here in STL we seem to have an abundance of shops that don't like to solder or love to use loose fitting t-taps, which is probably the case everywhere.
Same here...
I work as the Home Theater/Car-Fi/Mobile Electronics Department manager and I never ran into a Clifford Sku.. I'll have to check it out in RSS again tomorrow..