SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Average cost to do an engine swap???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 09:16 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting cuz I've got the same situation as you, but I've got an SC3 and was thinking about doing the GTE swap anyway, so now it looks likely I'll go the swap route vs re-building the GE. Good luck to you.
Old 03-11-10, 09:36 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by veritek
This is interesting cuz I've got the same situation as you, but I've got an SC3 and was thinking about doing the GTE swap anyway, so now it looks likely I'll go the swap route vs re-building the GE. Good luck to you.
GTE swap is another animal. Much more work. But well worth it.
Old 03-11-10, 09:50 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by 718murdoc
All the above my friend, you hit the nail right on the head. when driving under load, the car seems to hesitate for a few seconds then go; also the car has a very bad idle problem. I cleaned the IACV with no results. checked the plugs, wires, injectors and everything related... no dice. So im swapping it for something with less miles.
Ok. First off how much is this 97 motor you are getting and how many miles on your car? Second is the car shifting funny? What color is the smoke and what does the exaust smell like? I would bet $100 thats its a bad coil and/or ecu.

If you are mechanically inclined this is what I suggest. Spend the $50 and get a new ECU then replace your ignition system. Caps, Rotors, Plugs, Wires, Coils. That should be under $200. Install the new parts and check your fuel delivery system. Injectors, Fuel pump and filter. If all is good that should fix your problem. Unless you have a bad vacuum leak. If not you can use all the new stuff on the new motor. So you wont be out any extra cash and its stuff you should change regardless.

Don't swap a motor and do a half *** job.
Old 03-11-10, 09:55 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by willhickey
i think with that stuttering it is either your ecu or you have some cracked hoses causing vacuum leaks........ Why would you go the most expensive route when you havent tried anything but iacv? just wondering thats all
You're right, It was related to a vacuum leak but the main problem is a faulty wire harness & low compression. I really want to do this swap because it will allow me the opportunity to paint the engine bay. I painted the car & did a color change from white to black, so i'm just finishing the color change & since my friend had a 97 motor with better service records i figured this would be as good as any time to do a swap.
Old 03-11-10, 09:58 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

You're right, It was related to a vacuum leak but the main problem is a faulty wire harness & low compression. I really want to do this swap because it will allow me the opportunity to paint the engine bay. I painted the car & did a color change from white to black, so i'm just finishing the color change & since my friend had a 97 motor with better service records i figured this would be as good as any time to do a swap.
Then do the swap.
Old 03-11-10, 10:02 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Ok. First off how much is this 97 motor you are getting and how many miles on your car? Second is the car shifting funny? What color is the smoke and what does the exaust smell like? I would bet $100 thats its a bad coil and/or ecu.

If you are mechanically inclined this is what I suggest. Spend the $50 and get a new ECU then replace your ignition system. Caps, Rotors, Plugs, Wires, Coils. That should be under $200. Install the new parts and check your fuel delivery system. Injectors, Fuel pump and filter. If all is good that should fix your problem. Unless you have a bad vacuum leak. If not you can use all the new stuff on the new motor. So you wont be out any extra cash and its stuff you should change regardless.

Don't swap a motor and do a half *** job.
I'm going this route first, over the weekend, if there are no changes then I'm definitely doing the swap.
Old 03-11-10, 10:21 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

I'm going this route first, over the weekend, if there are no changes then I'm definitely doing the swap.
Good for you man. Thanks for being smart enough to take good advice. You should be fine.
Old 03-11-10, 01:09 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Good for you man. Thanks for being smart enough to take good advice. You should be fine.
Thanks again for your help in this matter
Old 03-11-10, 01:38 PM
1SICSC4
Driver

Thats what we are here for!
Old 03-12-10, 06:13 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

about 4.5k for 2jzgte powerplant swap only, keeping it stock.

dont bother modding the GE, its messy+ugly+expensive+silly