SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Weird HID flicker with dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 11:21 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird HID flicker with dead battery

Okay guys so when I went out to my car today, one of my HID fogs was like flickering and blinking like a strobe light, with the car completely off, no key was in the ignition and the headlight switch was completely turned to the off position. So, after seeing this, I was like WTF lol. So, it is raining like crazy here right now, not sure when it is going to stop exactly. So I was going to start my car to go somewhere to look at it where I wouldn't get soaked. Well, turns out I go to start my car and the battery is completely dead. The dash lights are barely lit at all and the car won't start. I don't know if my HID relays got wet from all this rain or what, but regardless this isn't good. I don't understand how my HID fogs got power to flicker like this if the headlight switch is off lol. Doesn't make sense to me. There must be a short or something right? Any ideas?
Old 03-13-10, 11:25 AM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a + ground somewhere. If the HIDs are blinking then it's very likely it's a + ground somewhere with the wiring of your fogs.
Old 03-13-10, 11:26 AM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I know lol I need to go check the wiring, but this damn rain needs to stop first lol!
Old 03-13-10, 01:02 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Damn. I had this issue before on my sentra. And it was a wore touching metal which kept killing the battery. I couldn't pin point exactly where so I ripped it all off and no more dead battery lol
Old 03-13-10, 01:47 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino21
Damn. I had this issue before on my sentra. And it was a wore touching metal which kept killing the battery. I couldn't pin point exactly where so I ripped it all off and no more dead battery lol
That's what I'm about to do. I'm about to rip apart all of the HID relay junk and see if that helps...
Old 03-13-10, 04:41 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Okay guys so I figured out the problem. Lately I had been having problems with my passenger side HID fog light; it had seemed like more than lately it started to fade to a light brownish white looking color even though they are supposed to be 10000K. What I noticed today was that my fog light housing is not completely tight in the bumper and that the back of the fog light where the cover goes is exposed and allowing water to get in there. So, what I'm assuming is that since water got in there, it may have shorted the bulb out along with some part of the wiring, and made it do this weird flicker thing with the car off. The reason why it was flickering with the car off was because both my HID kits (low/fog) are hooked up with 2 relays, so they are gaining continuous power one way or another from the battery, thus allowing it to flicker from water shorting it out with the car off. I got these HID kits from a China/Hong Kong seller from eBay, which leads me to believe they were obviously cheaply made and not necessarily "waterproof" as they stated that they were, so ultimately they shorted out because of the water getting in there because the kit was poorly made. Although, I'm not having any problems with my HID low beams, they work just fine on their own relay. It just seems like the HID fogs are more exposed to water than the low beams. Doesn't really matter to me though, I jumped my car and got it running again and disconnected the relay for the HID fogs and it is running fine. I was going to replace the HIDs for the lows and fogs this summer anyway, so its no big deal to me. Just thought I'd share my little experience, it may help someone else that may search for this type of problem one day.