SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

If it aint broke, don't fix it vs maintaining

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 12:25 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If it aint broke, don't fix it vs maintaining

How many of you guys, wont change something out until it's broke, and how many of you would rather maintain parts, changing them out at certain mileage as per manual
Old 03-17-10, 12:34 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

I like to kill 2 birds with one stone. For example, my stock suspension was perfectly fine, but I just bought a whole new TT suspension for the mods and since it only had 38k on it. Same with exhaust, it was flawless but I changed it out. So I guess you could say via modding, I'm doing preventitive maintenance.
Old 03-17-10, 01:08 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to replace stuff before it breaks so I can do it on my own schedule. If something breaks, then you have to fix it regardless of what else is going on in your life at the time.
Old 03-17-10, 01:09 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I maintain my car rather changing out what doesn't need to be changed. It just turns out that the new product being swapped in is better than the part it replaces. Tires going bald? Belt on some Bridgestone footwork. Brakes pads squealing? Chuck those *****es out and get some Disc Italia ceramics...****, get some new EBC slotted rotors while you're down there.
Old 03-17-10, 01:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I maintain my car before modding it. I made sure everything was good to go before I started to mod it, but at the same time if it was something that could be upgraded I would choose the upgrade over a stock replacement.
Old 03-17-10, 02:02 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

well i work at an auto shop and like 90% of my friends are mechanics at other shops so that may have some effect on my choice
i wont fix till its broke but i always make sure i have money so when it does break its fixed immediately
Old 03-17-10, 02:35 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

It's maintain and upgrade at the same time or fix and upgrade. Either way, it's getting upgraded. lol
Old 03-17-10, 02:39 PM
the3rd
Driver

Being that my car is new to me. I'm going to do a lot of the odds and ends before I mod.
Old 03-17-10, 03:15 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I play it by ear.. If I know the car will be down for a week - month I will order other parts I want for it. Example: I was doing my r154 swap, didn't need a new transmission just because I know I will need it later. I knew it was going to take me some time because I worked on it a few hours every weekend, and I had to get some parts shipped/made. It took over a month to complete but... in that month I got my aluminum radiator, pulleys, electric fans and some other stuff. I also checked the plugs, cables, dist cap, and all the fluids and they were ok so I didn't change that stuff out.

Example 2:I know I am going to need to change out my timing belt and all other belts soon.. So I have other parts lined up for when I do this. Like my NA-t kit will be bolted up, piping, intercooler, cams, cam gears, fuel system, retainer kit (still looking), all the engine gaskets, and I might rebuild my r154 because my second gear is making a noise.

Once again I have DD so having my car down for a while isn't horrible. On my DD I do the maintenance and hopefully never breaks down.

When my differential went bad on me I just fixed it.
Old 03-17-10, 03:21 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had my 95 SC, I changed several parts that were not broken yet. I wanted the car to run like a new car and it did. I believe that a 10-15 year old part can cause other systems to work harder when they are old. Changing things can prevent wear of other supporting parts.
Old 03-17-10, 03:57 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when I went na-t, previous owner had timing belt done at 60k miles..I did it anyway with the Gates belt at 74k miles, plus the water pump, and anything else I could think of at the time.
Old 03-17-10, 05:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Buying these cars used, a lot of the time maintenance records aren't kept so you dont actually know how long or if a part was replaced. Plus, when you change one thing, might as well replace something else while its out.. i.e. timing belt & water pump
Old 03-17-10, 06:32 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to cars, the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Is worthless.

It's bound to break or wear, so just replace it when and if you can.
Goodluck.
I spend money on the things that are most valuable to my cars health. It just so happens that they break before I get to save for them.
lol.
Old 03-17-10, 06:34 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

I do all of my maintenance minus timing chains and harder things like that. I believe in if its broke UPGRADE IT.
Old 03-17-10, 07:23 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

I constantly inspect everything on used cars and don't go by the maintenance book. In most cases you can tell what needs or is going to need replacement. I like to do oil pumps right away because they don't give you warning and cause damage. I am very ocd when it comes to receipts for the cars I have now.....I'll save spark plug, wiring, light bulb, and oil change receipts just because.

Now if I were to buy a new or nearly new car from the lot, I would then start doing it by the book just because it helps resale value.

Quick Reply: If it aint broke, don't fix it vs maintaining