SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97-2000 Taillight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 09:54 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the sensor for the 95-96 tails for sale so they dont blink like crazy. I just never ended up doing the conversion, but already had paid 45 bucks for new sensor-so if someone wants it, email or PM me.
Old 07-20-03, 09:59 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I PMed you.

Thanks.

Jon

Originally posted by mjr24
I do have the sensor for the 95-96 tails for sale so they dont blink like crazy. I just never ended up doing the conversion, but already had paid 45 bucks for new sensor-so if someone wants it, email or PM me.
Old 07-21-03, 09:16 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mjr24,

I did this conversion to my '92 SC4 and I drive with that indicator light lit up all the time. It doesn't really bother me. It fits just right on my rear bumper, I just needed to dremel the mounting holes a little larger for more free play. I now have that annoying rice rocket fast blinker signal, but I'd rather have that than to not have a great looking set of tail lights~! Other than that, everything works as they should. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-03, 09:22 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

SC400,

Did you install 95-96 taillights on your 92 SC?

I am actually trying to do the same thing but I heard that some holes on the car would have to be modified (drilled bigger) in order to fit in the 95-96 taillights. Is this true?

Do you also have a taillight failure warning light on your dash too?

If possible, could you please briefly describe the process you went through in swapping/installing these taillights?

It would be fantastic if you also have some pix of your car with 95-96 taillights.

I appreciate it.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400Dude
mjr24,

I did this conversion to my '92 SC4 and I drive with that indicator light lit up all the time. It doesn't really bother me. It fits just right on my rear bumper, I just needed to dremel the mounting holes a little larger for more free play. I now have that annoying rice rocket fast blinker signal, but I'd rather have that than to not have a great looking set of tail lights~! Other than that, everything works as they should. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-03, 10:18 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M3,

I did the '97+ Tail lamps, basically the same as 95-96.

Yes, I do have that warning light on. Lights up everytime you step on the brakes preceeding engine start. It shuts off once the car is turned off.

Removal: Pull back carpet cover by undoing the retainers to access the backside of the tail lights. Use a 10mm socket to unbolt the lights, unplug the light and pull out(watch the rubber gasket~!).
Installation: My car('92 SC4), requires minor modification to make the new lights fit correctly. I think the rear bumper interferes with the lights being able to "slide" in smoothly. To remedy this, I used the good 'ol Dremel tool. I enlarged the holes that you use to mount the lights. This allows free play for you to "wiggle and worm" the new lights into place. When everything looks good, bolt them up. Now, reverse the Removal steps.

For a pic, go to the "gallery" section under "SC400/300" and it's like the 5th or 6th page. My car is the gold one with the black wheels. For some reason, it's saying that the file I'm trying to attach is too big. So give it a look-see - thanks.
Old 04-13-04, 12:49 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the instructions,

Just to keep you guys updated. I did a 95-96 taillight conversion on my SC4 sometime last year.

The taillights fit perfect but there was a taillight warning light every time after I stepped on the brake. Fortunately, I found a defective bulb in my left taillight and after I replaced the bulb, the taillight warning sign no longer comes up.

The only problem I have with the 95-96 tail lights is that the turn signals now blink very fast. Hazard lights, however, remain normal speed when blinking.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400Dude
M3,

I did the '97+ Tail lamps, basically the same as 95-96.

Yes, I do have that warning light on. Lights up everytime you step on the brakes preceeding engine start. It shuts off once the car is turned off.

Removal: Pull back carpet cover by undoing the retainers to access the backside of the tail lights. Use a 10mm socket to unbolt the lights, unplug the light and pull out(watch the rubber gasket~!).
Installation: My car('92 SC4), requires minor modification to make the new lights fit correctly. I think the rear bumper interferes with the lights being able to "slide" in smoothly. To remedy this, I used the good 'ol Dremel tool. I enlarged the holes that you use to mount the lights. This allows free play for you to "wiggle and worm" the new lights into place. When everything looks good, bolt them up. Now, reverse the Removal steps.

For a pic, go to the "gallery" section under "SC400/300" and it's like the 5th or 6th page. My car is the gold one with the black wheels. For some reason, it's saying that the file I'm trying to attach is too big. So give it a look-see - thanks.
Old 04-13-04, 09:46 AM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I have the 97+ taillights on my 92 and it fits with no problem only I had to "jam" in the new lights. Theres a VERY VERY Small gap but its unnoticeable. Hope this helped!
Old 04-13-04, 07:18 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

OK KIDS, I have infact done the convertion on my 92 sc4 to the 97 lights. I bought them from the dealer for $350 for a pair and here is the deal. There is no drilling, there is no cutting, they ARE plug and play. It's a tight a$s squeeze to get them in, maybe because the bumper is a little different or whatever, but what I did was unscrew the key lock hole because that seemed to be in my way the most, and after messing with the bastards for a good 35 minutes, they fell into place. It looks great and is my fav. upgrade yet. Now here is the prob, the failure light! I have tried EVERYTHING, I have tried the new relay... it does nothing and is a waste of your money, I have tried a resistor, and it too does nothing. The problem is, there are 2 less bulbs on each light (4 total) so here's the solution i used. I opened my repair manual to find out at which points of the harness control the blinker bulbs. At these points, I then attached wires, and attached two light bulbs from the old 1992 style lights. I then rapped them in the fire proof cloth (used for soldiering dunno the name) and placed them near the spare tire under the floor matt. No one can't see them, and the heat will not damage anything as they are secured. From the inside it looks perfect unless you pick up the floor, then you can see the wiring. 2 years so far, no problems, the blinker is no longer RICE and blinks regularly HOWEVER the warning light IS STILL ON. The plugs look exactly the same and fit exactly the same way so I am lost as to why the warning light still comes on. If I can find an explanation I will find this thread and post it, but till then, that's my story, pics are available for anyone wanting to do this, but I do love the look and am super picky with the way my car looks, none of this opertation was hasty or half-as$ed, but it worked for me!!
Old 04-13-04, 07:47 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

any garnet (red) pre 97 Sc's out there with a 97+ tail light conversion? i wanna c some pics cause im thinkin of doin the mod and my cars garnet. thanks
Old 06-09-09, 03:17 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nysupraman
any garnet (red) pre 97 Sc's out there with a 97+ tail light conversion? i wanna c some pics cause im thinkin of doin the mod and my cars garnet. thanks
ggggggrrrrrraaaaavveedig!

anyone got this picture? i have a picture of a 95 tail light on a garnet red, but i wanna see 97+

thanks
Old 06-19-09, 12:44 AM
WhiteGsr
Driver

If someone wants to trade their 95-96 tail lights for my 97's please let me know. Straight swap
Old 06-19-09, 02:25 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Hey whiteGsr i will swap you LMK
Old 06-19-09, 08:24 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if SxyLxy has those pics he said he dah in his last post ???
Old 07-01-09, 03:44 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to do this swap, does anyone have the fix for the warning light?
Old 07-01-09, 04:45 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amini9
ggggggrrrrrraaaaavveedig!

anyone got this picture? i have a picture of a 95 tail light on a garnet red, but i wanna see 97+

thanks
Yes it is a gravedig Over 5 years, but now we all know the search button works!

Originally Posted by TroySC300
I'm about to do this swap, does anyone have the fix for the warning light?
I got the 97+ lamp failure module and it helped me to not have the lamp failure light during the day. Once my headlights come on the light comes on, I think it may be because I do not have fog lights though and the resistance is less (don't quote me on it though). So try it with fogs, or if you are very patient wait a few months for me to do it, unless you want to buy me some fogs to try it out As for the hyperblink, you can buy an aftermarket turn signal relay or what I am going to try once I get sideskirts. I am going to try to find mirror turn signals and run puddle lights as turn signals to increase the resistance and slow down the turn signal.

Quick Reply: 97-2000 Taillight Conversion