SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

help with some tint removal!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 05:42 AM
platano47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with some tint removal!!

guys i have this gay purple tint that i been wanting to take off from the previous owner, i need advice on how to take it off from the rear glass since it has the defrost on it.....i was thinking of breaking the glass and just getting it replaced thats how much i hate the tint being there. but im not working now so i cant do that....any advice would be gladly appreciated....i took all the other ones off with a razor super easy but the hardest is the back glass. if it helps the tint has bubbles everywhere so that helps out alot i guess since its not sticking to the glass in alot of areas.
Old 03-23-10, 05:54 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

spray the inside of the window with windex or they sell this stuff that is made to take off tints at any autoparts. spray a lot on there and get a black garbage bag and tape it onto but not touching the window inside the car and let it sit in the sun for about 2 hours. it should come off like butter after that.
Old 03-23-10, 05:59 AM
JZCHAOS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a stream mist gun to apply.... Just pealing off without heat will bad news for the defrost
Old 03-23-10, 06:13 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZCHAOS
You need a stream mist gun to apply.... Just pealing off without heat will bad news for the defrost
agreed! steam will work wonders! i seen it done! any tint shop will have this machine
Old 03-23-10, 06:36 AM
platano47
Driver

ima try the windex version first....so you spray it, cover the glass with a garbage bag but dont let it touch the rear window?
Old 03-23-10, 06:44 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

yea pretty much u want the inside of your window to absorb as much heat as possible from the sun, the black plastic bag will act like a green house and all of the heat and humidity will stay in between the windown and the bag. make sure u spray all of the window and bag too. if it bag touches the glass i dont think it should matter. but keep at as close as possible to the glass.

the more heat and humidy the easier it comes off.
Old 03-23-10, 07:19 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So you get the garbage bag and tape it ON the tint not the window correct? I have Pretty bad tint also. And my local shop charges 50 to remove while the tint I'd only 100
Old 03-23-10, 07:45 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300jz
So you get the garbage bag and tape it ON the tint not the window correct? I have Pretty bad tint also. And my local shop charges 50 to remove while the tint I'd only 100
correct u will be taping it on the tint side which is Inside.

here is a link on how to do it step by step and everything u will need for this process.

http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_removal.html
Old 03-23-10, 07:56 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Honestly, depending on the weight of the garbage bag, it may stick to the windex/tint just fine without tape. I know mine did. Leave her in the sun, and it should all come off just fine!

I was told (and I'm not sure if it's true), that it doesn't matter what you use, as long as it has ammonia in it.
Old 03-23-10, 07:59 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

so one bag on the outside and one bag on the inside. Could we replace winddex with autoshop tint removal spray bottle or something. not exactly sure where to located amonia thanks this is gonna save me a good chunk of money
Old 03-23-10, 07:59 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most tint shops will remove this for around $20.00 per window. Even if you scrape or peel it off, there is tons of glue left behind. Then you have to get goo gone or a similar product. Then after that, you have to use alcohol to kill the chemical in the goo gone. It can get pretty messy if you don't have experience. I've never tried the garbage bag method but the steam gun typically works well. It takes a little while but if it's heated pretty good, it should peel right off. Best of luck.
Old 03-23-10, 08:08 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO let the tint shop take it off.

if the tint is purple then you know when you're trying to pull the film off it's going to come off in very small pieces.

instead of windex, ammonia is more effective.

steam works best...just really need to take your time on it.
Old 03-23-10, 08:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mktbully

if the tint is purple then you know when you're trying to pull the film off it's going to come off in very small pieces.

im with u, let the shop take it off but if u must do it, replace the garbage bag with aluminum foil on the inside as it will reflect the heat/light back onto the window tint better than the garbage bag and making it easier to remove

ammonia does work but think of the smell for weeks in the car if u spill it
Old 03-23-10, 08:15 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mktbully

agreed. if u have free time and have nothing better to do. i say tackle it yourself, but if you have no patients i would let a professional do the job.
Old 03-23-10, 09:06 AM
platano47
Driver

yea ima call a couple of tint shops and see how much they charge, i look like a 80's drug dealer driving around with the purple tint and a 92 lexo, thanks for the advice guys

Quick Reply: help with some tint removal!!