SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cost to make is run like new

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 11:50 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the help and suggestions.

I'm tossing all ideas around right now and thats why I'm looking to gather more info before I decided which direction to go.

The main purpose of this car is going to be a DD more than anything else and MAYBE in the future I will end up turboing, but as for right now if I feel the need for speed I have a few other toys that will quench my thirst .

I bought the SC with the intention of fixing it up and over time bringing it back to its glory. I really like the styling of the 97 SC series more than most other cars on the road right now and thats part of the reason I dont want to sell it. I know from a financial stand point rebuilding this car is not such a great idea but rebuilding any car is a terrible idea for the most part, all cars are just money pits in the end. I'm not really concerned about the financial aspect of rebuilding the SC, its just something I have been wanting to do since I bought it almost 2 years ago. I dont wanna spend $10k to rebuild it but $4-$6000 is fine.

I'm going to use MOSTLY OEM toyota parts.

Right now I'm having small issues such as leaking exhaust, cam seals leaking, FMS leaking, possible diff issue and somewhat low compression numbers so instead of just replacing parts as they go I'm thinking about over hauling the entire engine once and for all. Then once I get the engine, transmission and front suspension done I was then going to move onto the rear.

The interior is mint, not a single tear on anything, the carpet has no stains and when cleaned looks brand new, no wear on the doors.......nothing, the interior is not an issue. The paint is good, the biggest issue is the front bumper......the underside of it is scratched up from high parking blocks, other than that the paint is in very good shape. When I do a full detailing and buffing it looks fantastic.

Again thanks for the help and keep the suggestions coming
Old 03-31-10, 02:58 PM
sc400vip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to turbo built your own like that your sure of what you have 2jzge handle a lot when their built plus when you buy an egine like 2jzgte you dont know where it's been and if it isnt a usdm one is from japan they'll tell you it has like 60,000 miles because by law in japan you have to swap you engine every 60,000 miles but the ones they sell here they really all have about 100,000 miles to do that i would really built a 2jzge and turbo it dont get me wrong 2jzgte are real good but not 4,500 more like 7500-8000 and its all a risk when talking about swaps thats why i would built my own all day...
Old 03-31-10, 03:02 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc400vip
if you are going to turbo built your own like that your sure of what you have 2jzge handle a lot when their built plus when you buy an egine like 2jzgte you dont know where it's been and if it isnt a usdm one is from japan they'll tell you it has like 60,000 miles because by law in japan you have to swap you engine every 60,000 miles but the ones they sell here they really all have about 100,000 miles to do that i would really built a 2jzge and turbo it dont get me wrong 2jzgte are real good but not 4,500 more like 7500-8000 and its all a risk when talking about swaps thats why i would built my own all day...
Yeah i read that somewhere else about the engines in Japan, if I were to go that route I agree I would build my own but right now I highly doubt I will do that to the SC.