SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 11:32 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Radio Installation

I recently bought a new radio cause mine died. The JVC KD-HDR50 a single din.

I went to install it the other day and had bought the brackets and pockets from Sonic Electronix http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...B+-Black-.html but the radio won't fit. I found the same model on bestbuy and other sites but im assuming their just all the same. Could you all direct you to a bracket system with a pocket I can used to install this radio.

Last edited by nfordhk; 03-28-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 11:34 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the Metra bracket kit. They make one now for the SC. Also look in the Audio section. I bought mine at the local audio store for about 18 bucks. Good luck.
Old 03-28-10, 11:42 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on the radio, that metra kit may need to be modified. I had to cut mine in half at the sides to compensate for a wider head unit than the kit allowed. It leaves no gaps and looks factory though with the metra kit.
Old 03-28-10, 02:05 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metra FTW

http://www.partsguysusa.com/m5_view_...Metra-99-8157B
Old 03-28-10, 06:42 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Thats what I bought (my link) But my radio won't fit in that I cant even trim it enough to make it fit.
Old 03-28-10, 07:34 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure? They are usually pretty standards. If you notice, the aftermarket kits usually have lots of different holes there where you can mount the radio for it to sit right. Try again.
Old 03-28-10, 08:08 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I had the same problem using a single din in my car. The radio itself is about 7" across which is the exact width of the opening for our stock radios. I ended up cutting 1 side of the metra trim off completely, and just putting everything in like that since it is such a tight fit.
Old 03-28-10, 09:47 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is double din kit too. I bought both just in case:
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-8157B.../dp/B001TJG7SA
Old 03-29-10, 12:39 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I used the Metra bracket kit. They make one now for the SC. Also look in the Audio section. I bought mine at the local audio store for about 18 bucks. Good luck.
Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
thats what he bought people, for 12 dollars click the link before talking. its a metra single din kit.
Old 03-31-10, 01:09 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I had the same problem using a single din in my car. The radio itself is about 7" across which is the exact width of the opening for our stock radios. I ended up cutting 1 side of the metra trim off completely, and just putting everything in like that since it is such a tight fit.
I might have to try that just going to be mad if it doesnt work cause I would have returned it haha

But see this is my fitment

Very Sung and If I do cut 1 opening still might be good with the brackets... Bestbuy did recommend me a double din but is it not the same dimensions in width just most opening space to accommodate for a bigger radio or screen.

Edit: Cut it still wont fit around the sleeve of the radio going to get a new one im done trying to modd.

Last edited by nfordhk; 03-31-10 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 07:05 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nfordhk
I might have to try that just going to be mad if it doesnt work cause I would have returned it haha

But see this is my fitment

Very Sung and If I do cut 1 opening still might be good with the brackets... Bestbuy did recommend me a double din but is it not the same dimensions in width just most opening space to accommodate for a bigger radio or screen.

Edit: Cut it still wont fit around the sleeve of the radio going to get a new one im done trying to modd.
Umm, I removed the trim and placed the radio in the brackets behind it. I had the same radio with no problem installing it. Then purchased a Pioneer w/ BT and Ipod. But from the picture it looks like you are trying to install it in front of the center stack trim piece. Correct me if I am wrong, just looking at the picture.
Old 03-31-10, 07:59 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Well this is what im doing I did cut one of the trim on the metra kit. It just I cant fit it in the slot in the metra kit with the sleeve so im going to isntall without sleeve and it fits fine. But you say im trying to install it in the center... Well yes why is that wrong? Shouldn't the it be Climate, Radio, Pocket (Got the metra kit with pocket)
Old 03-31-10, 09:10 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nfordhk
Well this is what im doing I did cut one of the trim on the metra kit. It just I cant fit it in the slot in the metra kit with the sleeve so im going to isntall without sleeve and it fits fine. But you say im trying to install it in the center... Well yes why is that wrong? Shouldn't the it be Climate, Radio, Pocket (Got the metra kit with pocket)
No you are correct in the order, I think it doesn't matter. But the picture looks as if you are sliding the radio in with the center trim in place. The metra kit goes behind the trim and the radio behind the bracket. So basically, the way I did it was.

Remove the trim:
1. pPace the radio in the stock bracket or metra braket with or w/o the radio sleep, whichever fits best.
2. Place the Metra trim over the radio
3. Replace the center stack over the the Metra Kit

Here's pic:

The metra provided brackets were ment to replace the metal SC OE brackets. That's why it's not installing correctly, I just put a filler to hold up the pocket. Or install the whole by removing the metal brackets.
Sorry the pricture shows gabs but I recently had a wire run through bottom and hadn't had time to adjust it for apperance sake.

It's not going to be perfect but good enough for my 20 year 18 YO Car.
Old 04-01-10, 12:36 AM
Mavs36
Driver School Candidate

yeah i had trouble as well but i had a costume one made and
it was perfect i would show a pic don't got one now but tomorrow i will
the other thing that i had done was turning the volume *** into the bass control
Old 04-01-10, 03:34 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Oh I know ^^^ but my biggest problem is I couldn't fit the radio in the slot of the metra kit as you notice its so tight. Basically edge to edge and I couldnt account for that .7inc on each side of the metra kit.

Or am I still misunderstanding ?

Quick Reply: SC400 Radio Installation