SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why is my steering lock reversed??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 10:48 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

In your first image the wheel lock is in that shaft that joins the key switch and steering column. It would require you to drill out the bolts joining the two parts to gain access to the pin.

I suppose there is a possibility the cylinder could be inserted incorrectly causing the wheel lock to act opposite of how it should.

Unfortunately neither solution is super easy, but I will say if you can loosen the column up enough to gain access to the key cylinder release I might try that first.
Old 04-01-10, 06:35 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty
In your first image the wheel lock is in that shaft that joins the key switch and steering column. It would require you to drill out the bolts joining the two parts to gain access to the pin.

I suppose there is a possibility the cylinder could be inserted incorrectly causing the wheel lock to act opposite of how it should.

Unfortunately neither solution is super easy, but I will say if you can loosen the column up enough to gain access to the key cylinder release I might try that first.
Scott,

I appreciate you staying in touch with me on this thread - I'd be lost without your help

I guess I am going to try and use an alan key to see if I can release the cylinder lock without having to pull the column back out... Or if anyone has any other ideas I am certainly open to hearing them. Right now, the cylinder being in upside down seems most likely to me, so I am going to tackle that first... Will let you know how it goes...

Jonny
Old 04-01-10, 09:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I have removed everything several times and put it all back together. The final time, it seemed to work and I had the car running and could turn the steering wheel. However, when I cranked it all the way to one side it locked so I was back to square 1... This I don't understand because once the key is turned to the on position, the steering lock shouldn't be moving... So why would it jump into a locked position if there is nothing inside the steering lock mechanism that would be turning when the wheel is turning? Or am I missing something?

Not really sure what the problem could be. I have tried it both ways it can go on with no luck. So either I have a key cylinder that isn't correct, and is thus letting it turn to far and lock (which doesn't look to be the case), or else something I am missing...

Anyone?
Jonny
Old 04-02-10, 12:32 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem. its part number 17 that actually turns the ignition switch. all you gota do is take the key cylinder out.

*mine broke

turn the little shaft that you see thats inside of the hole thats pointed at you (the exact part im holding in the picture).. see if you can pull it out. once you get it to the point where it comes out, put it back in and turn it 180 degrees to the right. so that the shaft your looking at is vertical again. youll see what im talking about. then align it with your key cylinder, and put your key cylinder back in and start your car.

the reason why try to take it out is so that your at the starting point. the starting point makes the little shaft point vertically (it has a little cut out in the back so it can only come out one way). then once its out you put it back in and and turn it so it locks in place *it wont keep spinning around and around*

essentially the shaft unlocks your steering wheel. right now the shaft isnt installed properly and wont unlock the wheel.

let me know if its confusing. once you take the key cylinder out (just the part with the button on top that you PUSH DOWN ON, use a small bolt or screw to put in the hole and push down on and you pull out with the key) you'll see the shaft im talking about.

Last edited by bryan767; 04-02-10 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 05:56 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bryan767
i had the same problem. its part number 17 that actually turns the ignition switch. all you gota do is take the key cylinder out.

*mine broke

turn the little shaft that you see thats inside of the hole thats pointed at you (the exact part im holding in the picture).. see if you can pull it out. once you get it to the point where it comes out, put it back in and turn it 180 degrees to the right. so that the shaft your looking at is vertical again. youll see what im talking about. then align it with your key cylinder, and put your key cylinder back in and start your car.

the reason why try to take it out is so that your at the starting point. the starting point makes the little shaft point vertically (it has a little cut out in the back so it can only come out one way). then once its out you put it back in and and turn it so it locks in place *it wont keep spinning around and around*

essentially the shaft unlocks your steering wheel. right now the shaft isnt installed properly and wont unlock the wheel.

let me know if its confusing. once you take the key cylinder out (just the part with the button on top that you PUSH DOWN ON, use a small bolt or screw to put in the hole and push down on and you pull out with the key) you'll see the shaft im talking about.
Bryan,

Yeah I figured that was my problem and had it out several times last night... putting it in a different way each time. Do you see the gold part of the part you are holding? Do you remember which way it should face when you are putting it back in? Up, down, left, right? I tried it a combination of different ways, and really felt like I had figured it out the last time I put it back in. I turned the steering wheel back and forth with the car started, and was happier than a pig in ***** , then all of a sudden it locked

I am trying to work out how turn the steering wheel will lock it? Obviously the 2 can't be independent of one another, just don't understand how they come together? Usually if you didn't have the key in the ignition and turned the wheel, after a while it would lock. What makes it lock then when the car is off, but if you had the car on it wouldn't lock?

This is a terrible job and I hate steering columns! I drilled out my broken one last night so I could better understand how they work... Still not much further along unfortunately...

Let me know if you remember where that gold part would face when installing. Thanks man,

Jonny
Old 04-02-10, 10:47 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

when you INITIALLY install it, the gold piece should be vertical |. now turn it 180 degrees to the right, or one HALF turn (dont confuse with one quarter). then youll have to turn it back to the left a tad to align with the key cylinder like this \

this little shaft is the ONLY thing that unlocks your steering wheel. it is a possibility that that your shaft is broken, (the tip of mine broke, its made of crappy pot steel).

Last edited by bryan767; 04-02-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 03:38 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

updates?

10char
Old 04-04-10, 06:07 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

updates?

10char
Thanks for checking in man... Unfortunately I decided to take the easy way out and drilled the steering lock out. I spent too long trying to make it work that it was easier just to do it this way. I'll be sure to tell whoever I sell the car to, but unfortunately the steering lock made me its biznitch on this one

Thank you everyone for all of your help.

Jonny
Old 04-04-10, 07:27 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

haha. well thats good to hear you managed to get it unlocked.. i know when this happened to me i flipped ****.. mostly because i got all clean and ready to go out.. and the steering was locked after i replaced that shaft.

cheers
Old 04-04-10, 07:37 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

haha. well thats good to hear you managed to get it unlocked.. i know when this happened to me i flipped ****.. mostly because i got all clean and ready to go out.. and the steering was locked after i replaced that shaft.

cheers
LOL - it is one of the more annoying tasks without a doubt. Hope I never have to deal with another one

Thanks again,
Jonny