SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

most cost effective way to get 375rwhp out of 92 SC300 w/ 4 speed A430E?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 09:30 PM
derekhale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default most cost effective way to get 375rwhp out of 92 SC300 w/ 4 speed A430E?

So I have a 92 SC300 with 125k miles on it and wanted to go NA-T with a hp goal around 350-380. Car needs work but the engine and tranny are tip top. Looking at a kit from xspower since it is inexpensive and I have heard good reviews. Also want to keep the stock tranny but do the Raybestos IPT tranny build kit and Precision of N.H. torque converter performance upgrade as well as a L.S.D. of some kind.
I am very new to all this and I am doing a LOT of research before I start as I will be doing the work myself.
My question is what is the most cost effective way to get 375 hp reliably out of my SC300? this will be a d.d. and will not be abused on a regular basis. Top end power is not important and neither is 1/4 mile time.
Old 03-29-10, 03:53 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

low 300's with a trans cooler is all thats recommended on the stock trans, but who knows....

a cheap option to having a slightly better trans is getting a used 1jz trans, you need to take a few things from your a430e to plug it up, but the 1jz trans has more clutch packs.. so should hold a little more power, maybe 350-400ish?
Old 03-29-10, 09:06 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

XSpower is a good option. Scrap the oil feed and return lines that come with the kit and just run copper solid lines. As for the auto, you can make it hold your HP goal by shimming the accumulators and increasing line pressure which is almost free - just fluid, RTV, and some 1/2" pipe to cut for shims.
Old 03-29-10, 11:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
XSpower is a good option. Scrap the oil feed and return lines that come with the kit and just run copper solid lines. As for the auto, you can make it hold your HP goal by shimming the accumulators and increasing line pressure which is almost free - just fluid, RTV, and some 1/2" pipe to cut for shims.
..shim the accumulators, and run a GOOD trans cooler and you should be-able to push a bit more through it. Then again if you take Paco's advice and do the same thing with the 1j transmission, you should be-able to have a bit more holding power.
Old 03-29-10, 12:13 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
..shim the accumulators, and run a GOOD trans cooler and you should be-able to push a bit more through it. Then again if you take Paco's advice and do the same thing with the 1j transmission, you should be-able to have a bit more holding power.
Right... sorry, trans cooler is a must!
Old 03-29-10, 01:01 PM
derekhale
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok thanks I appreciate the info

You mentioned swapping in a tranny off a 1JZ because it has more clutch packs
and I was wondering if the raybestos blue plate rebuild kit would suffice since it is around $600 and I am guessing a tranny swap off a 1J would be a bit more. The raybestos kit comes with clutch packs that are supposed to be really good. Anyways thanks for the info and looking forward to posting my project later on down the road.
Old 03-29-10, 01:05 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I really don't think you need that for your power goals. Why don't you do the cheap stuff, and IF you smoke your tranny, then install new clutch packs?
Old 03-30-10, 05:12 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
I really don't think you need that for your power goals. Why don't you do the cheap stuff, and IF you smoke your tranny, then install new clutch packs?
What do you mean "cheap stuff"?
Old 03-30-10, 05:34 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djrazr
What do you mean "cheap stuff"?
I think he is talking about shimming and adding the cooler..if done right it shouldn't cost much
Old 03-30-10, 05:45 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

By cheap, I mean shimming the accumulators and increasing line pressure. Search for "how to make a a340 last" on supraforums.
Old 03-30-10, 05:46 PM
djrazr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I think he is talking about shimming and adding the cooler..if done right it shouldn't cost much
I'm in the same exact boat as the OP. What would be a good cooler?
Old 03-31-10, 06:33 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djrazr
I'm in the same exact boat as the OP. What would be a good cooler?
Anything is better than the factory one in the radiator.

Here you go... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-4120/
Old 03-31-10, 09:45 AM
ogre
Driver

intake, exhaust, piggyback, shim accumulators, wideband, tune, and some nitrous
Old 04-01-10, 11:57 PM
derekhale
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok so I will be ok with a big f#$king tranny cooler shimmed accumulators and increase

and thank you but no thank you on the nitrous this is my d.d. and that is not the direction I am going.

So the raybestos clutch packs are not necessary then?
Also, should I leave my stock t.c. alone or move up the stall and have it welded, brazed and balanced? My hp goal is up to 390 max now 390 whp that is.
Old 04-02-10, 06:51 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by derekhale
and thank you but no thank you on the nitrous this is my d.d. and that is not the direction I am going.

So the raybestos clutch packs are not necessary then?
Also, should I leave my stock t.c. alone or move up the stall and have it welded, brazed and balanced? My hp goal is up to 390 max now 390 whp that is.
Raising the stall speed on your converter is only going to shorten the life of your transmission, so I'd say leave it alone. At 390 horses, you'll definitely be pushing the limits of a lightly modded auto, but like I said, do the accumulators, increase line pressure, add a cooler, and beat on it. If it smokes, THEN sink the money into it to hold the power - you haven't lost anything.

My shimmed auto was holding fine at 11 PSI on stock fuel, so that should be around 330 ponies. I still have it if you wanna buy it.

Quick Reply: most cost effective way to get 375rwhp out of 92 SC300 w/ 4 speed A430E?