SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 03:09 PM
turboeverything
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...

OK, I have a 92 SC300 5-speed and I cannot keep the car running.

Two months ago I was at the gas station and filled the car with gas. Next I tried starting the car and the car turned over and idled at 5,000 rpms and then the car died. I let the car sit and after a while the car would turn over and it would not idle. It felt like the car was out of fuel.

I towed the car home and tried starting it, after a new fuel pump and the car would idle high and then come down to 1,000 and stumble and die.

I tried to pull a code but when I jump the wires the ABS, Air bag, and cruise light blink.

If anyone can help me or give me advice let me know.

Mitch
Old 06-05-02, 05:23 PM
turboeverything
Rookie

Anyone have any ideas at all???
Old 06-05-02, 05:32 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

It hasn't run in two months?

It could be several things....

Take it to a mechanic for an estimate.. he will tell ya whats broken for $60 or so
Old 06-05-02, 06:26 PM
turboeverything
Rookie

The reason it has not run is because I have not had a chance to fix it until now.
Old 06-05-02, 06:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Interesting. I feel for ya. I trust the fuel filter has been replaced? Simple things to look at could be the air filter, and intake duct work. There may be a vacuum line that came off or broke. Check around the intake manifold and throttle body visually. Have some one work the accelerator with the car off while you look at the the throttle linkage to the throttle body. There could be a sensor problem - or a spark plug problem. Do you have a manual?

It could also be an idle control problem. Did this happen when the weather warmed up?

What kind of gas did you put in it?

Last edited by awj; 06-05-02 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 08:13 PM
p-rock79
Driver School Candidate

DUDE I AM HAVING A SIMULAR PROBLEM WITH MY SC 300 95 AUTOMATIC: you need to get your car started befor the old gas starts to gum-up. its a 4 stroke engine so dount press the gas , while turning the key, next simply press the gas a few times w/o turning the key. then try it , then it should start, i think the other dude was right check the fuel filter, my bud from American honda told me the same thing and he's a car freeekkkkkk.
latter :
Old 06-05-02, 08:16 PM
p-rock79
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I want to replace the air intake for my car anyone know who makes a cold air intake for it ,. and i am finding it very dificult to find aftermarkette parts for my SC300,
where could i go?
thanks

Old 06-06-02, 10:12 AM
turboeverything
Rookie

Default fuel filter

I bought a fuel filter and where does it go?? Is it under the car?? With a discount it was $40, kind of high for a filter!!!
Old 06-06-02, 10:33 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by p-rock79
its a 4 stroke engine so dount press the gas , while turning the key, next simply press the gas a few times w/o turning the key. then try it , then it should start, i think the other dude was right check the fuel filter, my bud from American honda told me the same thing and he's a car freeekkkkkk.
latter :
NEVER press the gas before you start the engine on a fuel-injected motor. All you need to do to prime the fuel system is turn it to ON (on IGNITE) for 3 seconds or so. You don't want to mess up your fuel injectors or flood your engine.
Old 06-06-02, 11:22 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I almost don't want to touch this one, but here we go. awj, t's not a dirty air filter and probably not a vacuum line, the car would more than likely start, but might run crappy. Probably not any kind of linkage either. If the plugs were mega fouled or actually broken (i.e. shattered insulators from detonation) then that could do it, but that's probaly not it either, but yank a plug or two and see how it looks, that's always a good idea anyway. Stomp on the gas all you want, it's not carbureted where there's a direct linkage and fuel will dump in, the injector won't lift the pintle off the seat unless the computer tells it to do so, and the car has to be running for that, or you have to at least turn the key forward to get the fuel pump to prime/pressurize the rail. $40 is high for the fuel filter, list is around $34 or so if I remember. It goes underneath the car, driver side, a little ahead of the rear wheel. These cars are known to have a propensity for stripping those fittings, so take your time, i'm probably one of very few people here who's actually run all new factory fuel lines in an SC from the tank to the rail, and since these lines are installed at the factory before the drivetrain goes in, it's a ****** to change them, not to mention that Lexus ships these lines un-boxed, and by the time they get to you, they'll probably be bent enough that they don't line up at all, and you'll have to tweak them a bit. You'll want to use spanner wrenches, if memory serves it's a 14mm and a 19mm I think, soak the fittings with liquid wrench for awhile before you even touch them, some come undone easily, but don't take chances, and make sure there's not too much gas in the tank, and that the car has sat long enough to bleed off any pressure in the lines/rail. That being said, IMO it's not the filter, that thing would have to be so mega-clogged for the car not to start, I can think of ten things it would more likely be. Two month old gas likely wouldn't be the culprit either, that's not too old. If you really are pretty sure the problem relates to the gas you got, the tanks that the station pumps from have socks to filter the fuel as it gets to the pump, i've heard stories of it breaking and dumping a bunch of sand in with your fuel. I used to know a guy that swore he had lost two motors in his Cyclone from this, whether or not I believe him is another story, but it is possible, so as long as you bought the filter anyway, throw it in, but back-flush the old one after it's out and see if any crap dumps out. Getting gas was probably a coincidence with the car dying, so if the problem persists, we'll take it to step two of diagnosis.
- Jon
Old 06-06-02, 11:26 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just re-read your post, you changed the fuel pump already? Did you check the wiring, pump relay, ECU, etc. first, or did you just throw in a pump and pray? If the car is starting then dying, the pump ain't bad, it would have to be working somewhat to get the car started in the first place, if it was dead you wouldn't get it started at all. When you jump the diagnostic, do you get any codes, anything for idle air or related? Have you tried unplugging the mass air sensor and seeing if that affects anything?
Old 06-06-02, 06:42 PM
turboeverything
Rookie

Ok I changed the fuel filter and the car started up and run bad for 10 seconds and then died. Now I can start the car and it will fire and try to idle but eventually die. I tried pulling codes again and the same lights flashed. Air bag, abs, and cruise.....I tried stepping on the gas as the car fired up and the car ran ruff and tried to idle but couldn't. It sounds to me like the belt skipped and the timimg is off. The belt was replaced at 60 and the car does have 127,000 on it now.........I did take out the air filter and run the car...nothing different happened...........

Any other ideas......it is getting better, if only it would stay running
Old 06-08-02, 12:10 PM
turboeverything
Rookie

Anyone have any more ideas!!!