SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

serious problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 07:07 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did u unplug the MAF sensor ? i don't get it..

check the maf sucket if there's a corrode.

Last edited by ZPEED; 04-03-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-03-10, 08:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
late update: i want to Autozone and i was out of luck because..
1. i didn't have a check engine light
2. my car is a OBDI (they only do OBDII) 1996^
3. i ran in to a mechanic that told me how to really reboot the computer. (didn't work)

so after doing serious homework i need to check if my SIC sensor is working because it may cause stalling on idle which is whats going on. and if needed to be replace do that and also have my ASC certified mechanic run a check on it.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What is an SIC sensor? And do you mean ASE certified?

Jonny
Old 04-03-10, 09:00 PM
DKSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, while i'd love to let the car punish you for playing around with it, lemme help you out a bit.
There is no such thing as an "SIC" sensor, the ones you should check are: IAC -Idle Air Control, IAT - Intake Air Temp, MAF - Mass Air Flow, and while unlikely it's the problem, ECT -Engine Coolant Temp.
As the above gentleman said, there is no such thing as ASC, so def go for the ASE tech, however ASE's are just papers, what you really need is an experienced tech who knows cars, not books which is all an ASE proves.

Lastly, someone said earlier that the car needs to go through a recalibration and he was correct, it only would have needed slight recalibration if you had not reset the ECU by letting it sit without power, but now the ECU has lost all its long term fuel trim mapping data, and lost calibration for all of its non-continuous monitors, so what you'll need to do is look up the manufacturer's required drive cycle to run all the monitors and do everything it says on the list, see if that solves your problem.

Hope any of these basic starting points help you.
Old 04-03-10, 09:36 PM
nyycebro
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the problems you are having, but someone needs to say this.....don't f..k with a perfectly good running car. Enjoy your car and let well enough alone.
Old 04-03-10, 11:59 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what no one mentioned is this, try and unplug the maf sensor and look inside the connector maybe when you plugged it back in one of the prongs in the connector got bent. always try the simplest things first
Old 04-04-10, 12:28 AM
Ethix
Driver

Sounds like the computer still thinks the sensor is unplugged and it's running extra rich to compensate. It would certainly explain your misfire issue as well as the bad idle and gas smell.

The steps listed above definitely sound like the next steps to take. (find out drive cycle and follow steps, check plug terminals, etc)
Old 04-05-10, 09:25 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ethix
Sounds like the computer still thinks the sensor is unplugged and it's running extra rich to compensate. It would certainly explain your misfire issue as well as the bad idle and gas smell.

The steps listed above definitely sound like the next steps to take. (find out drive cycle and follow steps, check plug terminals, etc)
I already checked to see if there was any thing that got stuck in there which was throwing the sensor off but it was clean!

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
what no one mentioned is this, try and unplug the maf sensor and look inside the connector maybe when you plugged it back in one of the prongs in the connector got bent. always try the simplest things first
nothing is bent.. and your right about over thinking things and missing the problem and end up fixing unnecessary stuff!

Originally Posted by nyycebro
Sorry for the problems you are having, but someone needs to say this.....don't f..k with a perfectly good running car. Enjoy your car and let well enough alone.
lol... somethings in life you just have to learn the hard way unfortunately this crap had to happen to me..

Originally Posted by Dx3
What is an SIC sensor? And do you mean ASE certified?

Jonny
speed idle sensor it's also know as the IAC but i just went off exactly what the sensor said... and yea i wasn't paying attention... my fault

Originally Posted by DKSc
Lol, while i'd love to let the car punish you for playing around with it, lemme help you out a bit.
There is no such thing as an "SIC" sensor, the ones you should check are: IAC -Idle Air Control, IAT - Intake Air Temp, MAF - Mass Air Flow, and while unlikely it's the problem, ECT -Engine Coolant Temp.
As the above gentleman said, there is no such thing as ASC, so def go for the ASE tech, however ASE's are just papers, what you really need is an experienced tech who knows cars, not books which is all an ASE proves.

Lastly, someone said earlier that the car needs to go through a recalibration and he was correct, it only would have needed slight recalibration if you had not reset the ECU by letting it sit without power, but now the ECU has lost all its long term fuel trim mapping data, and lost calibration for all of its non-continuous monitors, so what you'll need to do is look up the manufacturer's required drive cycle to run all the monitors and do everything it says on the list, see if that solves your problem.

Hope any of these basic starting points help you.
thanks for pointing me in the right direction now the real question is where do i get the drive cycle so i can recalibrate the computer and get her back on the road.. "running normal"...

thank,
Kernst
Old 04-06-10, 07:20 PM
DKSc
Driver School Candidate

I didn't even bother searching around google for a drive cycle because half the crap you'll find on the internet about your car is a lie, so instead I put in a request at a local lexus dealership to have them send me the exact manufacturer required drive cycle to run the monitors, and if they send it to me i'll post it up here for you to print out.
Old 04-06-10, 10:39 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DKSc
I didn't even bother searching around google for a drive cycle because half the crap you'll find on the internet about your car is a lie, so instead I put in a request at a local lexus dealership to have them send me the exact manufacturer required drive cycle to run the monitors, and if they send it to me i'll post it up here for you to print out.
YO... NO HOMO, i really appreciate your help i was thinking about calling Lexus today and see what they say but i got side tracked by the mattress mambo, and home work, if anything just keep me posted...
Old 04-06-10, 11:02 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

If you happened to clean the Air Flow sensor and mess around with the inside of the sensor. You might have killed the sensor if you did. These sensor are about 700+ a piece. Just something to share about. GL
Old 04-07-10, 09:35 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If you happened to clean the Air Flow sensor and mess around with the inside of the sensor. You might have killed the sensor if you did. These sensor are about 700+ a piece. Just something to share about. GL

Two words:

Correct ... eBay.
Old 04-07-10, 09:02 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

I didn't touch the sensor it's self all i did was unplug it... but thanks for the heads up
Old 04-07-10, 09:26 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to basic but... checked ur spark plugs?
Old 04-16-10, 05:37 AM
IndySC
Driver School Candidate

After cleaning/killing my MAF with CRC my 95 sc4 wouldnt idle or run for **** so i also disconnected my MAF. Now, I get about 8mpg and tons of power, it died occasionally during idle for the first 2 weeks but now it runs alright. not perfect .....BTW I really need a MAF
Old 04-20-10, 05:50 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

problem solved my idle air control sensor was bad and was causeing my car to run like crap!! thanks for the assistants anyways