SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power folding mirrors on the Lexus SC 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 02:42 AM
Vadim
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CrazySC300-Hi.
Connection USDM and JDM mirrors - bear a good child. This child - will be folding mirror at the SC 300/400.
Old 09-05-10, 03:21 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know...The real tricky part will be trying to retain the mirror's memory position,power adjustment and heated mirror feature by keeping the original USDM mirror ECU and certain USDM mirror parts intact, all the while, splicing in a 2nd JDM Mirror control ECU for the power folding feature alone and mixing in the servo motors that fold the mirrors and parts into the USDM mirrors...I already know that pin 4 (brown wire) in the panel switch and pin 10 (brown wire) in the Mirror ECU are responsible for the power folding part...I just gotta figure out a way to keep that part separate while it's hooked into the JDM Mirror ECU and at the same time, wiring the mirror adjustment and L/R buttons on the same switch assembly (since they're part of one assembly piece) to the USDM ECU...The problem will now be to see if it's possible to power 2 different mirror ECU's at the same time.

Last edited by CrazySC300; 09-05-10 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 07:03 AM
Vadim
Driver

CrazySC300 - Hi.
Check the folder Private Messages.
Thank you.
Old 09-09-10, 02:53 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

I've decided to try a different route, I'm going to splice the power folding option into the factory alarm so that the mirrors fold when the alarm is armed and fold out when the alarm is dis-armed...The newer LS has that feature.
Old 09-09-10, 12:25 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, the base of the JDM and USDM is kinda different the way they fold. The JDM mirrors fold in alot more than the USDM.. I brought a JDM mirror but one of the base broke, so I used USDM base and one is folded more in than the other one. With my route, I try doing that, fold in when it locked and fold out when it unlock, both mirrors never ended the same position as the original. Maybe it cause I'm using a different base. The way I solve this is to make my own switch control, so I have full control to fold in or out. Since my car is 98 which I have more options like tinted mirrors at night, I didn't wired that yet. If you know what each wire does or have a diagram to explain, it would help me as well.
Old 09-09-10, 02:27 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horent135
One thing to keep in mind, the base of the JDM and USDM is kinda different the way they fold. The JDM mirrors fold in alot more than the USDM.. I brought a JDM mirror but one of the base broke, so I used USDM base and one is folded more in than the other one. With my route, I try doing that, fold in when it locked and fold out when it unlock, both mirrors never ended the same position as the original. Maybe it cause I'm using a different base. The way I solve this is to make my own switch control, so I have full control to fold in or out. Since my car is 98 which I have more options like tinted mirrors at night, I didn't wired that yet. If you know what each wire does or have a diagram to explain, it would help me as well.
Yeah, After studying Vadim's pics, I saw that he used the USDM base on the JDM mirrors as well, He emailed me a pic of his car, In that pic, it showed both mirrors folded in, I noticed that the driver's side (Passenger side for USDM models) mirror was more folded in than the Passenger's side (Driver's side for USDM models)...I'd like both mirrors to look the same when folded, so luckily for me, I still have both JDM mirror bases.

The reason why both mirrors probably over folded, Is because you need the mirror control ECU, The ECU tells the mirrors how far to fold out when they receive the signal to fold...If you don't have the mirror control ECU, a substitute window modulator (Theoretically) should work...That's what my friend is gonna use when he starts to wire up my mirrors. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress on how this is going.
Old 09-09-10, 09:06 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Sub mod will work because I'm using it now. The JDM mirror fold in is alot nicer and cleaner than the USDM. I really wish I had both JDM base. Good luck on yours, and show a video or something. What year is your car, I really want to know what each wires does on the 97+ mirrors.
Old 09-10-10, 08:36 AM
Vadim
Driver

horent135 + CrazySC300 - Hi.
My project is to realize all this.
The inclusion of flashing lights mirrors - wiring mirrors with turn signal wires dipped headlights.
The same wiring provides a flashing light mirror when you turn on the alarm.
Mirrors rotate at different angles at Soarer and SC 300/400.
The reason - the angle of rotation near the right mirror and the left mirror is different.
This makes for a Soarer SC 300/400 and Toyota.
Old 09-14-10, 01:35 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

A bit of progress tonight...(Sorry about the crappy cellphone pics)

I completed the trickiest part of the JDM Mirrors conversion by transferring the SC's heated mirrors,Memory position,Left,Right,Up and Down onto the Soarer's Anchor base and also retrofitted the Soarer's wires onto the SC's wiring harness...As you can see from the 2 pics, The power folding option (Now isolated and still wired onto the Soarer's original wiring harness) can now be wired independently and separately onto some aftermarket window modulators...I still haven't decided if I want to wire this to the factory alarm (Mirrors will fold when alarm is turned on and will fold out when alarm is dis-armed) or wire it to the JDM switch box that it came with (Drilling a hole on the USDM switch box will be required though)...I may consider posting a DIY thread in the future.
Old 09-14-10, 08:29 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Don't consider, please do make a DIY
Old 09-14-10, 11:02 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

You know, I've always wondered why there's no real DIY thread on this forum and that this has never been a widely discussed topic on the SC forums, granted that this little option is nothing more than a novelty mod and that there are maybe like 3 other useless threads about this on here...I've also noticed that not too many known members are known to have this mod onto their SC's...In fact, should I complete this mod, I'll probably be like the 3rd known CL member/SC owner to have ever done this.

I mean, Are the JDM folding mirrors that difficult to install for some people?
Old 09-17-10, 05:59 AM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

CrazySC,

Any new progress? I'm eagerly anticipating you posting your finished product
with some pics. @ Vadim: You are definately a pioneer here
in this subject! Awesome, my friend, awesome!!
A DIY thread would be great. And how the heck can a guy
get a JDM? I own a 98' SC300. This option is one that catches
my eyes.

-Texas
Old 09-25-10, 03:02 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Update: The route I wanted to go with these mirrors was a complete FAILURE!!!

$225 down the crapper.

Unless you have an aftermarket alarm, I personally would not recommend undergoing this project. ( I don't have an aftermarket alarm system, So asking for my input is out is out of the question)

AutocoutureSC was right along, This IS a complete waste of money.

What went wrong you ask?

1) Heated mirror function got compromised.

2) Memory mirror position got compromised (No matter how many times I played with the memory position buttons, it wouldn't budge to the position I set it to)

3) Since the base of the JDM mirrors are angled differently, I had a really crappy view of the rear, Adjusting the mirror didn't help much since there was a limit on how far the glass could move out.

4) Because the USDM and JDM mirrors are wired differently from each other, functions such as "Left" or "Right" work perfectly fine, But "Up" and "Down" became reversed where Up is down and Down is up...wtf?

And all this for what? The "novelty" of folding mirrors in a region, I'll never need it in...So not worth the effort!

Last edited by CrazySC300; 09-25-10 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 12:04 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Update: The route I wanted to go with these mirrors was a complete FAILURE!!!

$225 down the crapper.

Unless you have an aftermarket alarm, I personally would not recommend undergoing this project. ( I don't have an aftermarket alarm system, So asking for my input is out is out of the question)

AutocoutureSC was right along, This IS a complete waste of money.

What went wrong you ask?

1) Heated mirror function got compromised.

2) Memory mirror position got compromised (No matter how many times I played with the memory position buttons, it wouldn't budge to the position I set it to)

3) Since the base of the JDM mirrors are angled differently, I had a really crappy view of the rear, Adjusting the mirror didn't help much since there was a limit on how far the glass could move out.

4) Because the USDM and JDM mirrors are wired differently from each other, functions such as "Left" or "Right" work perfectly fine, But "Up" and "Down" became reversed where Up is down and Down is up...wtf?

And all this for what? The "novelty" of folding mirrors in a region, I'll never need it in...So not worth the effort!
Seems to me you didn't wire it properly and still have a few bugs to work out. Would you want to sell your set and recoup some of your losses? w
Old 10-24-10, 06:27 AM
Vadim
Driver

Originally Posted by tavarish
Seems to me you didn't wire it properly and still have a few bugs to work out. Would you want to sell your set and recoup some of your losses? w

tavarish - Hi!.
Lexus SC 300/400 - product engineers the highest level!
CrazySC300 get results: 1) 2) 3) 4)!!!
CrazySC300 has no knowledge of Electrical SC. CrazySC300 mixed up all the wires!
Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iEOPksyzU
PS. Maybe - CrazySC300 already burned all the motors in his mirrors.

Last edited by Vadim; 10-24-10 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Power folding mirrors on the Lexus SC 300