SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 03:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

tps is like one of those things that can affect lots of stuff. its possible, but i would think there would be other symptoms like hesitation and whatnot.
Old 09-04-12, 03:10 PM
SixSense
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I have a wideband but I should really get a digital so I know the exact numbers the one I have now is programmed to work with my lc1... Well I'm gonna grab some o2's and check it out I just put in a new one but doesn't mean I can't go bad. If the tps is out of wack could that cause this also?
Old 09-04-12, 03:47 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you should be able to use the stock o2 sensor if that helps. you only need 1 on the JDM ecu.
see if it does it all the time or if its just sometimes.
Old 09-05-12, 03:32 PM
SixSense
Driver

It seems to do it sometimes like when im doing city driving mostly like a lot of stop and go traffic the car has been running so rich i have sut floating out of my tailpipe never even heard of that lol it also also has a low idle and surges somtimes a quarter tank only gets me to my destination by the time im back home im on E (yes i do fill up lol)
Old 09-06-12, 07:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys realize that for $1300, you could fix all of your issues in one fell swoop...

AEM EMS, MVP Motorsports... $1330 is what I paid, I know its a lot of money, but it will seriously cure all of your issues - no more worries about what cam/crank sensor you want to run, factory ecu retuning by itself, etc...
Old 09-06-12, 07:30 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You guys realize that for $1300, you could fix all of your issues in one fell swoop...

AEM EMS, MVP Motorsports... $1330 is what I paid, I know its a lot of money, but it will seriously cure all of your issues - no more worries about what cam/crank sensor you want to run, factory ecu retuning by itself, etc...
Welcome to the Boosted SC World haha, guys don't wanna hear that Everyone wants to boost as cheap as possible lol .

Sometimes it's alot of headache trying to make stuff work with the stock ecu, where on EMS you just turn the key ON.
The only sensors i have on my car is coolant temp, and TPS and my car start on the first try every morning.

The TT box doesn't even cost that much you can puck them up for 850 -900, You can get the V2 TT box for 1350-1450 .

AEM V1 is not an option for auto guys because they will be going through alot of trans.

I love Standalone ECUs!
Old 09-06-12, 08:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

**edit I removed a bunch of stuff, sorry sometimes I just tend to ramble on about the same thing.

Originally Posted by SixSense
It seems to do it sometimes like when im doing city driving mostly like a lot of stop and go traffic the car has been running so rich i have sut floating out of my tailpipe never even heard of that lol it also also has a low idle and surges somtimes a quarter tank only gets me to my destination by the time im back home im on E (yes i do fill up lol)
yeah sounds like the o2 is not doing its job, but it could be other stuff. sometimes mine will idle rich, but it usually goes away pretty fast. I think its because of using the stock o2 sensor vs a heated one, but I don't get any smoke or anything like that.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

Lol I had an AEM EMS, and it was the source of all my problems. It has lots of features, but its far from plug and play.

My car runs perfect on the TT ecu, literally perfect. I invite anyone to come and take a look.
I am trying to help others achieve the same thing.
the aem uses the same cam/crank sensors and the TT ecu does not do any learning that is bad, it learns in a good way for a turbo car.
Its the stock GE ecu that sucks the big one when it tries to fight the boost it sees.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Welcome to the Boosted SC World haha, guys don't wanna hear that Everyone wants to boost as cheap as possible lol .

Sometimes it's alot of headache trying to make stuff work with the stock ecu, where on EMS you just turn the key ON.
The only sensors i have on my car is coolant temp, and TPS and my car start on the first try every morning.

The TT box doesn't even cost that much you can puck them up for 850 -900, You can get the V2 TT box for 1350-1450 .

AEM V1 is not an option for auto guys because they will be going through alot of trans.

I love Standalone ECUs!
For me it wasn't about money, I had one and I still help Omar out with setting his up whenever he changes setups. You know bro it is not just turning the key on, its like turning the key on after you have spent alot of money on tuning, and then when the season changes usually going back for a retune. sometimes it will just randomly drop the tune, other times the decel function won't work properly and the car will be revving itself out when you start it. There is some timing drift, and no parameters to tune that out except in the main timing map.
I like standalones, I just got frustrated with the aem ems.

Toyota made a turbo ecu literally for the turbo version of our exact engine, and it makes sense for me to go that route.
people have been doing it for a long time.
22-ret ecu on a 22re, 7mgte ecu on a 7mge, 3sgte ecu on a 3sge motor.
It was really just a matter of time.

If you have a setup that needs a standalone, I can understand dealing with all of that, but for a simple 400-500hp setup using an AEM over a TT ecu sounds like torture to my ears.
2 years I ran an aem ems and I hated it. The past 3 months on the aristo ecu has been fantastic.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-06-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 10:42 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Ali , it wasn't directed towards you sorry you felt that way!

Here is what , it's either a faulty box, in the tune, or something is missing in your setup.

Ali my car started on E85 on map that i had for 3 years , it's a pump gas base map but i drove my car for 1week without 1 hickup.

There is always something we don't know , why are you having all those issues with your car ? my guess will be either the tune maybe something is missing, faulty box, or something in your setup.

I had all type of stupid issues with my cars , you know it lol !

There is nothing wrong with TT box if you can make it work on your car, But soemtimes it really not worth all the BS you have to go through. I went through alot of BS with my AEM.

Yes aem V1 is not the best ecu out there but if you have a competent tuner that knows what they are doing you shouldn't run into alot of issues. their are alot other options out there MS, Proefi 48 etc... shoot i would run proefi48 before i put another in my car.

And you know it everyone on here wanna boost for cheap, their is nothing wrong with that to a point .

Again Ali there is something wrong with your setup i don't know what it is but there is always a reason behind it.

last couple weeks , i went through all kinds of BS, before i replaced my coils my car ran like ***** , i then bought new coils from toyota , still didn't fix the problem.
I then ordered the LQ9 coils, new map sensor, and had my Injectors cleaned. So i drop the injectors in, intall the map sensor , install the new coils and my car fired right up. Never ever ran that great , then a week later out of nowhere it started to misfire and do all kinds of tricks. So for 2weeks i tried everything come for find out my TPS was bad , so replaced the Tps but the car still ran like crap , I then had the injectors cleaned again BaM!!! she is alive again. So come to find out the guy sold me the wrong fuel filter, wrong screen i ordered a 40 micron and he sent me a 100 micron.
I even ordered a new set of injectors before i can find the issue.
At that point I was in love with the aem ems because i learned how to monitor and tell if something is wrong with my sensors.
ALI u don't have to pay 3k for a standalone lol , I am thinking about the new AEM Infinity 10 Box, AEM didn't build the box themselves so that was a BIG YES for me or Proefi but will see.
I know people that had their V1 boxes for 7 years with no issues .This is not my first aem v1 box i had about 6 of them and this will be my last one .

So yes i am not mad at you for going with the TT ecu! For my setup it's not worth it..we had different goals for our cars.

And when i said SC guys like to boost for cheap , i was talk in general not just about the Tt ecu mod .

I didn't mean to offend anyone, we all know it's the true we are always trying to save a $1.50.

I don't spend the money if it's not needed , my car has stock fuel rail because i know it will make 700hp.
For ex: couple guys running stock compression on tt ecu I will never ever do that and i would tell anyone to do that because anything can happen, wg can fail on you, boost control can fail i mean anything can happen.
First thing i will do is replace the Hg before i even install the ECU and coils. i used to think *if it breaks i will just throw another block on there and keep moving* that mentality is long gone , now i think about my time .
I could be doing something with my family,etc...it's basically my time that i will never get back so that's why i like to do things Once .

Last edited by 99SC42; 09-06-12 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 11:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah i hear you man, its a constant struggle with these cars.
I know it wasn't directed at me personally but I just want others to know I chose it because of simplicity and reliability.
I would never take anything you say as offense, I have learned so much from watching your work its amazing.

I keep thinking my car must have had some other issue, but the issue is not there anymore with the aristo ecu.
maybe i had a bad ems or something, I guess we will never know, but I really like the turbo ecu route.
When I first started my na-t I looked into it and people said it was not possible so I bought the AEM.

Lol people ask me why use the TT ecu. I ask them why they are using the GE ecu with so many piggybacks.
Standalone is really in a different category of its own.

I completely understand about the time thing, we are getting older and our time means much more now.
Thats why I am so happy I can just sit in my car, and it starts and drives well all the time, and I never have to worry about a tune again. I am glad for those having good aem experiences, but for me it was too much.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-06-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 11:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Oh on another note, I found out the stock TT ecu has a built in barometric map sensor inside the ecu itself.
So that means if you change elevation, the factory ecu will account for it, which is nice for cruising in the mountains. if I decide to hit Pikes peak raceway I won't even have any issues.
The Aem can do it too, but you need a second map sensor.
Old 09-06-12, 07:49 PM
briggs33
Driver School Candidate

ok guys i have done all the wiring on the first page and added new injectors/fuel pump and a full turbo kit with oil lines JDM gte ecu ,jdm map sensor and IAT sensor. Now my current problem is that i am not getting any ignition. At first i was thinking it was a code 14 but i noticed no fuel is actually going through the lines. Then we started to check the fuel pump but it works fine outside of the tank. tried cranking again and still no fuel. After that we plugged the stock JDM ecu back into the car and cranked it. It then fired up instantly so now we are getting fuel and it starts up no problem. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Hopefully the JDM ECU i have is not bad but that is kind of what i am thinking right now. Is there anyway to test that? My diagnostic on the OBD1 wouldnt work either since my CEL would never turn off, so could that be a sign that it isn't working properly, like is dead?

and by the i don't have the coils yet just stock ignitor if that could be affecting the fuel pump in anyway but i wouldn't think so

Thanks for any replies
Old 09-06-12, 08:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It is very likely the fuel issue is related to not running coilpacks, or not jumping the cam and crank grounds yet.
If the ecu doesnt get proper cam crank or there is no injector pulse, it may not turn on the fuel.
So far no one has had any luck with the stock ignition and the TT ecu. many people tried to simulate IGF but not very many actually have.
So you basically used to be stuck with TT ignition and a FFIM, but now with vvti coilpacks you can keep the stock intake manifold, and run more boost!

About the not being able to pull the cel code, I think you need to add that ground wire I was telling you about to pin 4 on ecu connector B.
the TT ecu needs it and not all SC's have it stock apparently. so you need to add it.

I do remember a point where i was having difficulty pulling codes. I think fixing that ground is what made me able to pull the codes, but I think I did the cam and crank grounds at the same time. basically I made it match the TT pinout exactly.
I need to add pin 4 to the main page.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-06-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-07-12, 03:38 AM
SixSense
Driver

Ok I will check it out today I'm off finally lol I've been using the universal bosch wich may be my problem lol but I don't know where to find the oem screw in type (does anybody know what car has them???) Man its so rich I burn about a quarter tank every 30 miles wow I could just get a hummer lol and good luck to you briggs 33 I promise outside the minor things its well worth it bro
Old 09-07-12, 03:52 AM
SixSense
Driver

O yea and to mistuguy I'm a security guard 1300 on a ecu is not even a option I think I would rather have food in the fridge lol then not to mention the extra 500-700 for a tune pshhh no thanks my car would much rather have a nice set of coilovers instead and I'm not gonna even cange my HG I'm pretty confident this ecu can handle it I've hit 16psi (my wastegate isn't even working properly) on several occasions and heard nothing shady I have nothing against EMS but I'm pretty sure I can get a good 400whp tune from the TT ECU and a Map Ecu but hey I will come back to this very thread and post my failure if it happens and that's my word!!! (Don't worry bro I DID NOT take offense)
Old 09-07-12, 04:57 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SixSense
Ok I will check it out today I'm off finally lol I've been using the universal bosch wich may be my problem lol but I don't know where to find the oem screw in type (does anybody know what car has them???) Man its so rich I burn about a quarter tank every 30 miles wow I could just get a hummer lol and good luck to you briggs 33 I promise outside the minor things its well worth it bro
I have the oEM screw on with 4 wires just pay for shipping USPS flat rate box. Hopefully that's your Issue.

did you replace the boot on the bottom of the coils? if you didn't please do, and then try a 7 psi spring to see if you get any break up.
Turn the boost down till you get everything worked out.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod