SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 03:11 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny you mention that, I think the AEM FIC is the best "Piggy back" there is. It's probably what I will go with, combined with the GTE ECU.
Old 09-11-12, 09:10 PM
TOYJOETA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the FIC also, and since it has a built in MAP, was wondering if you could run strictly off that? It looks like it would be easy to use larger injectors and don't have to mess with the stock base map too.

Last edited by TOYJOETA; 09-11-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 07:35 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IAT I made from an old Karman MAF works great. I'm still too rich, but I'm using an old single wire o2, so I hope that's it. After installing the IAT, it doesn't break up anymore, but it's a slug - even at higher boost than I was running on the stock fuel system. So... something still needs to be worked out. Maybe its still those Ford coils...

Here, watch this useless vid:

Old 09-12-12, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Funny you mention that, I think the AEM FIC is the best "Piggy back" there is. It's probably what I will go with, combined with the GTE ECU.
Originally Posted by TOYJOETA
I was looking at the FIC also, and since it has a built in MAP, was wondering if you could run strictly off that? It looks like it would be easy to use larger injectors and don't have to mess with the stock base map too.
You still need the stock ecu and the stock map doing its thing. all the injectors are wired through the FIC, so it sees what the stock pulsewidth is in vacuum, and it will alter the pulsewidth according to how you want it for injectors and tune, and then send that pulse to the injectors. In boost, you can set it up to completely ignore what the stock ecu is saying, and put in your own fuel map. So I think it would work pretty well with the aristo ecu and you could run large injectors even better than with a map ecu.

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
The IAT I made from an old Karman MAF works great. I'm still too rich, but I'm using an old single wire o2, so I hope that's it. After installing the IAT, it doesn't break up anymore, but it's a slug - even at higher boost than I was running on the stock fuel system. So... something still needs to be worked out. Maybe its still those Ford coils...

Here, watch this useless vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5Q-...5dnFDIwAKEBkvA
It sounds smooth but yeah you are pretty rich still. did you take it for a drive or 2? the ecu will take a few cycles to adjust, as I said mine idles at 12 afr when I first start the ecu, yours looks like its right around there so its not that far off. at the beginning of the video you see the AFR creeping towards lean, the ecu will keep doing that and let it do its thing without revving it out and it should get better everytime you drive it.
after its had a bit to learn it will learn where 14.7 is, and if it doesn't you probably have another problem like those coils or a weak o2.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-12-12 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-12-12, 10:10 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3

It sounds smooth but yeah you are pretty rich still. did you take it for a drive or 2? the ecu will take a few cycles to adjust, as I said mine idles at 12 afr when I first start the ecu, yours looks like its right around there so its not that far off. at the beginning of the video you see the AFR creeping towards lean, the ecu will keep doing that and it should get better everytime you drive it. after its had a bit to learn it will learn where 14.7 is.
Yeah, this is my second day driving it. I have taken it about 30 miles now. The video was taken at my office in the parking lot. It is extremely smooth though...

Yeah, Toyota coils will be in my future. I was hoping to sell off my Neo, 5 speed ECU, 1UZ MAF and stuff to finance it.
Old 09-12-12, 11:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I bet your fuel mileage is pretty horrible, when mine is running rich I can smell it but it almost always goes away after 2 drives, and my drives are only like 5-10 minutes at a time these days. when its leaning itself out at idle try not to rev it, if you don't see it trying to lean itself out when you sit at idle (its very noticeable on my wideband when its learning), you may need a fresh o2 sensor. the car i think also has to be up to temperature before it adjusts. when everything is working I promise its not very complicated, it literally will take care of all the small stuff for you. after its learnt, the AFR will be dead on even when you start it, and then it continues to make small adjustments.
I think your coils are probably fine, but then again its a custom setup so you never know. I sent you a pm.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-12-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-12-12, 06:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I know its a little late but I finally got a vid of some quick revving.
The response is very crisp and the idle is so smooth.
not the best quality but best I could do with my phone camera.

Old 09-13-12, 07:24 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I think your coils are probably fine, .
I don't like having Ford parts on the car... VVT-i coils are on the way!
Old 09-13-12, 09:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

+1 for vvti coils. Single best mod I ever did besides my 3 spoke GS steering wheel.
Old 09-13-12, 11:16 AM
SixSense
Driver

+1 for vvti coils. Single best mod I ever did besides my 3 spoke GS steering wheel.
I'm putting on a oak grant wheel to match the wood grain haha (don't judge) ill post pics after this week I'm waiting on my hub
Old 09-13-12, 11:18 AM
SixSense
Driver

Anybody know how much race gas helps with boost detonation etc when racing? Stock compression!
Old 09-13-12, 11:27 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it eliminates it! VP c16 has always been a favorite.

I'm from Maine. We used to have 93 octane, but now we must use California practices with timing since we can only get 91now.

It's ALL about the gas!
Old 09-13-12, 02:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I only get 91, but I am a Mile up in the air, so it sort of makes it like 93 again.

yeah a little race gas in the tank will always help as will methanol injection or running purely E85.
at the end of the day if you are looking for more than 14 psi or 400hp on pump gas alone, you better be installing that TT headgasket with some arp fasteners and then your motor will be good for close to double that.
It is much easier to work on a 2jz that hasn't blown yet, rather than pushing stock compression to the edge on pump and dealing with the carnage after.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-13-12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 04:13 PM
SixSense
Driver

@ali hey this is my play 2jz lol my other is in the garage begging for a freshen up its nopi nationals next weekend so why not if anywhere let it blow there even tho i wont be going past any psi i havnt hit i was just asking about the race gas because i know drag racing is a little more intense than just a highway pull i was asking for safety more so than how much more boost and what whp range does 14psi put you at?
Old 09-13-12, 04:47 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

I only get 91, but I am a Mile up in the air, so it sort of makes it like 93 again.

yeah a little race gas in the tank will always help as will methanol injection or running purely E85.
at the end of the day if you are looking for more than 14 psi or 400hp on pump gas alone, you better be installing that TT headgasket with some arp fasteners and then your motor will be good for close to double that.
It is much easier to work on a 2jz that hasn't blown yet, rather than pushing stock compression to the edge on pump and dealing with the carnage after.
Well in that case, that's pretty much what I have to begin with!

With the FIC, you can pull timing as well as with the distributor, so makin that up with more boost then 14psi shouldn't be a problem.

It's not boost, or timing, or static compression, or AFR that makes or breaks an engine, it's all of these things together!

Last edited by spoolxexo; 09-13-12 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod