SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 10:05 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 440s sitting here, but i need a resistor box to install them. Im going to put them in this weekend and see if that helps with the issue
Old 10-02-12, 06:50 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Maybe you are not getting good spark and/or fuel from that setup, i would just use a proper 3 channel one like the ds62 ignitor, and a normal resistor pack.
Did you install a BCC to hit 18 psi? it should feel better than 10 psi even with more advance if you are hitting 18, unless the timing is way off. when you take the jumper out does it jump to around 14-16 degrees at idle?
Sorry for the delayed response. It's been busy. Bought a 67 Jeepster Commando, all 3 of my street bikes broke AND the starter went out in the V10 F150.

I am going to get a 3 channel igniter just to make sure. I did find that the plug wires that came with my coils were junk, so I modified my old wires to work with the VVT-i coils. It's better, but still not right.

I didn't check to see if the timing jumped around w/o the jumper, but I was throwing a code for misfire. It's too early to see if the wires eliminate that because when I put the wires in, I guess I tweaked the turbo oil feed line because this happened and I'm still cleaning it up:

Old 10-02-12, 07:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by duhafnusa4
oh i meant i have both a jdm ecu and a usdm tt ecu

im running the supra TT maf, and its got the stock 330s in it.
i have 440s sitting here, but i need a resistor box to install them. Im going to put them in this weekend and see if that helps with the issue
Im not sure I understand but it sounds like if you keep trying to use smaller injectors you may end up hurting your motor. for JDM you need 440cc. for USDM you need 550cc. If you are going to use the usdm ecu do not bother installing the 440's you will need 550's. it will not run correct with smaller injectors, it will get lean and from too much driving bad things will happen.
Old 10-02-12, 07:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
Sorry for the delayed response. It's been busy. Bought a 67 Jeepster Commando, all 3 of my street bikes broke AND the starter went out in the V10 F150.

I am going to get a 3 channel igniter just to make sure. I did find that the plug wires that came with my coils were junk, so I modified my old wires to work with the VVT-i coils. It's better, but still not right.

I didn't check to see if the timing jumped around w/o the jumper, but I was throwing a code for misfire. It's too early to see if the wires eliminate that because when I put the wires in, I guess I tweaked the turbo oil feed line because this happened and I'm still cleaning it up:

sounds like a rough week, when it rains... as soon as I saw the picture I knew exactly what you did, don't worry man I have been there before. I rested my elbow (accidentally) on my feed line once when taking out the o2 sensor, I heard this little click, and I was like oh no did I break it... so I started the engine and about half my oil came out in like 5 seconds before I could shut it off, definitely broke it although it still looked fine. Huge mess so I completely understand. also sucks it hit the Z, why oh why not the Ford instead

sounds like something is still up I am sure you will get it with a bit of troubleshooting, as I said I settled on the combo on page 1 because it all seems to work together harmoniously, although I would never rule out a wiring problem with this mod because it is a common mishap.
3 channel ignitor should get the communications with the ecu happy. once you get rid of the misfire code all should be good, Toyota ecu's are a bit picky when it comes to talking to the ignitor and the tps. all the other stuff is more universal.
Old 10-02-12, 12:40 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

haa ok well then i suppose I have some perfectly good 440s for sale.
Old 10-02-12, 12:57 PM
briggs33
Driver School Candidate

Quadruple checked all my wiring and ecu pin connections and all are good. Map is getting all correct wires in the right spots but still getting wierd readings. Could be this crappy analog multimeter but power wire is showing over 5v signal is showing just under 5v
Old 10-02-12, 02:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

haa ok well then i suppose I have some perfectly good 440s for sale.
was there an issue with the JDM ecu or you want to run the usdm one with a maf?
either way will work get 550's and use USDM ecu, or use the 440's with the jdm ecu.

Originally Posted by briggs33
Quadruple checked all my wiring and ecu pin connections and all are good. Map is getting all correct wires in the right spots but still getting wierd readings. Could be this crappy analog multimeter but power wire is showing over 5v signal is showing just under 5v
Ok, I am 99% sure you have the power and ground wire reversed on the map sensor connector.
The other possibility is the signal pin isn't seated in all the way at the ecu, but because you are getting the same voltage when touching ground to signal, and ground to power, I think the power and ground wire are swapped, and also because I have personally made that mistake along with a few other members.
I would get 5v across power and ground, and 4.8 on the signal when it was wired incorrectly on mine.
the signal needs to be around 2.3V give or take, and the 5V across the power and ground.

try swapping the outer 2 wires on the map sensor (power and ground) and let us know how it goes.
you are lucky if you were using a different sensor you may have fried it, but the TT ones seem to hold up when conencted in reverse. motorolla 2.5 bar map sensor pops instantly when plugged in backwards.. good thing they are < $20 though

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-02-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 04:31 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

i think my JDM ECU is bad,

on another note, i have no tach in the car, I ran the wire from the TT ecu to the stock tach output at the old igniter, but do i need to jump a resistor? if so which one in the cluster do i jump?

thanks
Old 10-02-12, 04:33 PM
briggs33
Driver School Candidate

Switched them and am getting 5v power and nothing to signal. It is possible i started it like this before which i know is backwards now but before i can't remember how it was wired. I did have the wrong ground wire connected for a majority of our starts and test drives
Old 10-02-12, 04:50 PM
briggs33
Driver School Candidate

sooo anyone have a map sensor they dont need?

and ali did you ever get the motorola 2.5 bar to work and how do you wire that thing it has like 6 connections?

Last edited by briggs33; 10-02-12 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-12, 05:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

i think my JDM ECU is bad,

on another note, i have no tach in the car, I ran the wire from the TT ecu to the stock tach output at the old igniter, but do i need to jump a resistor? if so which one in the cluster do i jump?

thanks
you take out the cluster and jump a resistor on the back of the tach board.
pre-95 jump r109 resistor. 95-97 jump r73 resistor.
98+ VVTI years already have coilpacks so you are good to go.

Switched them and am getting 5v power and nothing to signal. It is possible i started it like this before which i know is backwards now but before i can't remember how it was wired. I did have the wrong ground wire connected for a majority of our starts and test drives
its possible the map sensor is bad, you wouldn't be the first person with a bad one. but do make sure that pin 62 is well seated in the clip, it needs to make a click noise or it can back out when its tightened down.
the 2.5 bar wouldn't start my car with the 440's installed, and you only use the first 3 pins, which is why its easy to plug it in on the wrong set of 3 and bam its toast. the signal voltage was like 1.8v on the motorolla, so larger injectors would be needed to make it work well and the how well it would work/drive is also a big guess, no ones done it yet.
Another member did verify that the 550cc and afc combo does work well on the gte ecu, and the map ecu seems like it works even better.
Old 10-02-12, 05:59 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

heres a pic of my tacho board, i saw no resistor labelled r109,

my sc is a 93 also

the resistors on the board with color rings are labeled R6 and R8, and R9

Old 10-02-12, 06:04 PM
briggs33
Driver School Candidate

I might just grab the motorolla since its so cheap andim using 550s so i should be good there. Will need to make sure on wiribg for those points though if it fries that fast
Old 10-02-12, 06:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

heres a pic of my tacho board, i saw no resistor labelled r109,

my sc is a 93 also

the resistors on the board with color rings are labeled R6 and R8, and R9

its a big resistor on the front side of the board, that pic is of the back side.

I might just grab the motorolla since its so cheap andim using 550s so i should be good there. Will need to make sure on wiribg for those points though if it fries that fast
yeah if you have 550's and the jdm ecu it may be close, I would recommend checking with a wideband if possible, I had fried my first 2.5 bar without knowing it so I only have my 440's now.
Old 10-02-12, 06:34 PM
duhafnusa4
Driver

i know, i couldnt get a good picture of the front side, but there are 3 larger resistors.

what is the resistance on the resistor i need to jump?

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod