SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 03:19 PM
jschru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the correct o2 to plug into is the one on the front of the stock exhaust manifold. i believe it is a whiteish or tan color.

anyways ive been chasing a misfire issue. i have used is300 coils, new is300 plug wires, ngk bkr6e plus, toyota ds-62 ingnitor. the car idles fine, cruises great all afrs are spot on. but when i go wot i get a misfire. my afr is 10.0 at wot as well. heres a ****ty video of whats going on. my bov spring is too stiff so i have a lot of flutter dump.

skip to 1:00 and 1:16 to hear it and turn your volume up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9494257...in/photostream
Old 04-14-13, 03:52 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschru
the correct o2 to plug into is the one on the front of the stock exhaust manifold. i believe it is a whiteish or tan color.

anyways ive been chasing a misfire issue. i have used is300 coils, new is300 plug wires, ngk bkr6e plus, toyota ds-62 ingnitor. the car idles fine, cruises great all afrs are spot on. but when i go wot i get a misfire. my afr is 10.0 at wot as well. heres a ****ty video of whats going on. my bov spring is too stiff so i have a lot of flutter dump.

skip to 1:00 and 1:16 to hear it and turn your volume up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9494257...in/photostream
What plugs and what gap you running? i was getting similar issue at wot and gapped my plugs down to .028 now no misfire
Old 04-14-13, 04:14 PM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by sj408
What plugs and what gap you running? i was getting similar issue at wot and gapped my plugs down to .028 now no misfire
ngk bkr6e gapped at .030
Old 04-14-13, 04:38 PM
sj408
Instructor

weird, wonder where your issue lies. Brand new coils?

How much boost you running? I figure youd be on a 7 heat range, thats what im running at least
Old 04-14-13, 05:58 PM
jschru
Driver

Originally Posted by sj408
weird, wonder where your issue lies. Brand new coils?

How much boost you running? I figure youd be on a 7 heat range, thats what im running at least
theyre used coils but i'm almost positive they are not the issue as i have extras and tried swapping them to no avail. i'm running off wastegate pressure so about 8psi. i have a set of bkr7es i could gap down and try. i went with 6's because i read somewhere that the 6's are preferable for low boost applications on an na-t.
Old 04-15-13, 08:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Not even sure I am hearing any misfiring going on, you are talking towards the end where you do a couple pulls.
it sounds like maybe it cuts out for a split second in boost and then resumes, if thats the case it is caused by washing out the spark you may be too rich at that boost level, like when the wideband maxes out at 10 you can be even richer than that since it doesn't display it on some of them.

you could try increasing the boost or gap down your plugs but you will loose power.
Not sure it would solve it but I would personally try getting some iridiums they are more resistant to fouling and spark better, but cost more. bkr6eIx or bkr7eix. I am running the ones gapped at .032, and you should even be able to run the ones with the -11 at the end which are gapped at .042 for lower boost levels, but since you have issues grab the .032 ones. you shouldn't have to gap down your plugs past .028 with coilpacks if at all try .032

the heat range does not matter for this problem, but yes for under 1 bar use the 6 range (stock tt plug) or over 1 bar go to a 7 and closer to 18-20 go for an 8. If you go too high of a number and run low boost, the tip of the plug will never heat up enough to clean itself and will foul out sooner.
Old 04-23-13, 11:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thought you guys might find this interesting, I installed a safc yesterday and I couldn't figure out why my throttle always read 1.5v or 27% throttle. rechecked all my wiring 10 times was about to loose it when I realized that when was using the FFIM and q45 throttle body I took my n/a tps off my stock throttle body and apparently put a spare one on the stock throttle body.
apparently this spare tps was bad, cause unplugging the tps connector it still reads 1.5v or 27%, and did not change with the throttle.

well since I swapped back to the stock intake I forgot to swap out the tps's so I have been driving it and boosting with my throttle set to 27% permanently... and It drove perfect couldn't even tell no cel's because its registering a real tps number I guess. I put on the working tps and all is good now, but it runs very similar couldn't even tell the difference on the wideband but I did notice tip in was a bit rich, so Im hoping that is gone now, will take it for a test drive when I get some more time.

Once again I am impressed with this ecu though, tps locked at 27% I was boosting at 14 psi pretty safely with enough to kick the tires.
This mod is the mod that keeps on giving, also the safc is nice to check the map sensor voltage and tps voltage I have learned, would have probably never noticed that my tps was bad since there was no cel.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-23-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-23-13, 11:35 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
thought you guys might find this interesting, I installed a safc yesterday and I couldn't figure out why my throttle always read 1.5v or 27% throttle. rechecked all my wiring 10 times was about to loose it when I realized that when was using the FFIM and q45 throttle body I took my n/a tps off my stock throttle body and apparently put a spare one on the stock throttle body.
apparently this spare tps was bad, cause unplugging the tps connector it still reads 1.5v or 27%, and did not change with the throttle.

well since I swapped back to the stock intake I forgot to swap out the tps's so I have been driving it and boosting with my throttle set to 27% permanently... and It drove perfect couldn't even tell no cel's because its registering a real tps number I guess. I put on the working tps and all is good now, but it runs very similar couldn't even tell the difference on the wideband but I did notice tip in was a bit rich, so Im hoping that is gone now, will take it for a test drive when I get some more time.

Once again I am impressed with this ecu though, tps locked at 27% I was boosting at 14 psi pretty safely with enough to kick the tires.
This mod is the mod that keeps on giving, also the safc is nice to check the map sensor voltage and tps voltage I have learned, would have probably never noticed that my tps was bad since there was no cel.
hahah i remember i didnt drive my sc for a whole year back when it was n/a. Had a brand new tps on there from toyota but when you would drive if you turned it off then turned it back on (like going into a store or something) It would kick and buck and jerk until you let it fully cool down. Never threw a cl never nothing. Spent TONS of money with local lexus techs blah blah blah.
Bout a year later i decided to give it another crack and got a datalogger hooked up and bam, no tps signal. Brand new oem tps.

crazy 2jz ****, I usedta drive it on 800 mile trips without turning it off haha
Old 04-23-13, 12:27 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lol, 800 mile trips sounds tough with that sort of symptom unless you never stop.
I really never noticed any symptoms is the weird thing but I only drove it a handful of times.
It's crazy how these ecu's don't throw cel's until something goes catastrophically wrong, but still impressed it can work without a tps, but yeah data logger or safc that can display the paramaters, or even a multimeter on the tps pin can tell you if its working or not.

I can tell you unplugged completely it reads 1.5v and does not change with throttle and is the same when plugged in with a bad tps.
Plugged in with a good tps reads about 0.5v and goes up to 4 something when pressing the throttle, sounds alot more like what its supposed to do.
Old 04-24-13, 10:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

#$^!#$^ now I got the tps working fine, and the o2 sensor stopped heating up/working.
I think I messed with my wires too much gotta recheck the o2 sensor wires now.
Old 04-26-13, 06:25 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to update on my previous post about the 550cc injectors I purchased from Osidetiger.

They do infact plug into the stock injector clips, and they fit on the stock GE fuel rail as well! Now the question is how they perform and it may be a little while before I get to installing them as I'm going to be running the stock ecu and fuel to work the bugs out from the HG swap and then install my JDM Supra 6spd ecu, COP, and Apexi NEO to pull some fuel out for these injectors.

Just wanted to share what I found if anyone is hesitant on fitment as it is a plug and play option.

Name:  null_zps082eec41.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  188.8 KB
Name:  null_zpsabadab8e.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  196.5 KB
Name:  null_zpsf8b29e20.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  183.9 KB
Name:  null_zps3634fb14.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  147.2 KB
Name:  null_zpsabd30328.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  228.0 KB
Old 04-26-13, 09:13 AM
sj408
Instructor

^^^^ wow good find! too badi already hacked up my harness for the other style injector lol
Old 04-26-13, 10:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

looks good those are the ones I was thinking about getting as well. let us know how they go.

I finally got the o2 working, the tps working, and the safc working and have been playing with the fuel some.
the ecu seems to react just fine with the changes on the safc so the 550's shouldn't be a problem.
on my aftermarket 440's I can pull 8-10% fuel and then it sits perfect on my wideband the ecu hardly has to do any correction but Im going to leave it a little rich just to be safe probably 5 or 6%.
Old 05-05-13, 04:57 PM
eblick99
Driver

heh i got the exact same set of 550s from the same seller. i have not installed them yet as im waiting for my new GTE style intake mani..should have that done in a week or two. not sure if im going to use GTE ecu conversion, e manage blue or SAFCII as i have all three. the e manage is already wired in so i might give that a go again but the last time i had it on a dyno it wouldn't work correctly. ide rather not drive around with a laptop plugged in so i like the idea of the safc2 but its so dinky and the GTE ecu would be factory reliability, not to mention the distributor delete would be really nice. anyways cant wait to hear how those 550s work out, ill definitely post when i get mine in.
Old 05-05-13, 07:28 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eblick99
heh i got the exact same set of 550s from the same seller. i have not installed them yet as im waiting for my new GTE style intake mani..should have that done in a week or two. not sure if im going to use GTE ecu conversion, e manage blue or SAFCII as i have all three. the e manage is already wired in so i might give that a go again but the last time i had it on a dyno it wouldn't work correctly. ide rather not drive around with a laptop plugged in so i like the idea of the safc2 but its so dinky and the GTE ecu would be factory reliability, not to mention the distributor delete would be really nice. anyways cant wait to hear how those 550s work out, ill definitely post when i get mine in.
I have a apexi NEO as well to pull or add fuel. Other than having to run the stock maf in draw through and recirculating the blow off valve, can the stock OBD 1 ecu be tuned using a simple piggy back? Are there any known downsides to that method for a simple NA-T 8-10psi? I've heard that the OBD 2 is a nightmare to try to tuned with just an safc.

I currently have all the parts for the TT conversion I actually picked up a JDM 6spd ecu. Just seeing how people feel about a simple piggy back on OBD 1 ecu.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod