SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 04:49 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ONE MORE QUESTION-

Has anyone actually passed OBDII emissions using an ecu from a different make and model car? I cant seem to find any solid info on this. I read somewhere that if the test station detects that the ecu is from a different car than what it is in, you can fail?
Old 12-04-13, 05:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Haven't heard of them detecting that ever, but I guess it could happen. Something you may need to figure out locally but its pretty common to use ecu's from different car's especially on other brands. The SC is so close to a supra though you could say your ecu went bad and you had to replace it, it probably interchanges with the n/a one at least. You are technically even allowed in most places to have a usdm supra swap of a newer year in your car, which is basically what you will end up with and throw a toyota spark plug cover on to finish it off, but I would think if all the emissions equipment is on the car and its not throwing codes its prob not a emissions hazard.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-04-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 06:12 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Okay that gives me some relief. Thanks.

Do you know of a member on here that has passed with this setup? Maybe they can give some insite as to how they did it, or if it was even an issue.
Old 12-04-13, 07:52 PM
jbell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BuffNStuff

Do you know of a member on here that has passed with this setup? Maybe they can give some insite as to how they did it, or if it was even an issue.
Depends on state.
In NJ a swap is legit if you have a motor that is equal or newer than your chassis year.
I.e. you can't have a 99 motor in an 02 shell.
So, with that said- completely ignore that law. It makes no sense.

In all actuality, your ECU has to be from a newer or equal year, because that is what reports the model year to the scanner.
So, as long as you can get an ecu from that year that will run your motor, you should be fine.
Oh, and you have to pass emissions and throw no codes.
Old 12-05-13, 10:26 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking for the same info, one guy a couple pages back was having some code problems and I was hoping he would post back with results.
Old 12-05-13, 11:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I am not sure if Drift101 has finished it or not, probably will check back in here at some point.
Old 12-05-13, 11:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F4A22
Ali how did you fix the sub throttle tps and downstream o2 cels?
missed this question a few pages back. i think you can jump the 5v wire to the sub throttle signal wire and it will read WOT and that keeps the system from kicking on and showing a light.
Old 12-05-13, 12:01 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm obdii and will be going for an emissions test soon. Gotta do it by February, but i need to sort out the issues with the codes that its throwing first.
Old 12-05-13, 01:26 PM
BuffNStuff
Pole Position

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
I'm obdii and will be going for an emissions test soon. Gotta do it by February, but i need to sort out the issues with the codes that its throwing first.
My tags were up last month I gotta try an breeze through these issues. haha I guess Ill let you guys know what happens.

What issues/codes are you getting?
Old 12-05-13, 01:46 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My tags were up last month I gotta try an breeze through these issues. haha I guess Ill let you guys know what happens.

What issues/codes are you getting?
Yeah keep me posted. the codes are sub TPS, EGR, and idle air control valve. Car doesnt boost right, and shuts off after i press the clutch right after pressing the gas
Old 12-05-13, 02:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

do you have the egr plugged in? if not there is the resistor for that and for the sub tps it just needs 5v on the signal wire. Idle air control valve is a weird one is it not plugged in or something it should be working?
do you have a picture of how you routed everything. it could even be related to the IACV code if it is not idling high enough to begin with it will be easier to stall from venting the bov. Even stock supra TT's will tend to stall out if you do not recirculate.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-05-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 04:19 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ONE MORE QUESTION-

Has anyone actually passed OBDII emissions using an ecu from a different make and model car? I cant seem to find any solid info on this. I read somewhere that if the test station detects that the ecu is from a different car than what it is in, you can fail?
Yes, I have in AZ. I have a 1999 F150 which has a V10 from a 2001 Super Duty. The F150 never came with a V10. When I ran the truck through they asked why the VIN's didn't match and I told them I had to change the ECU - which is true but omitted the part about adding a couple of cylinders. The manager had to do some sort of override, then I passed.
Old 12-06-13, 09:27 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

That is good to know, I figured you could say you had to replace the ecu its pretty common for ecu's to go bad.
just noticed your DIY boost cut eliminator in your sig and found the thread, I gotta make one of these I could use 20 psi myself. what injectors are you on Ishootstuff and how is the boost cut device working?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...liminator.html
Old 12-06-13, 09:52 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
That is good to know, I figured you could say you had to replace the ecu its pretty common for ecu's to go bad.
just noticed your DIY boost cut eliminator in your sig and found the thread, I gotta make one of these I could use 20 psi myself. what injectors are you on Ishootstuff and how is the boost cut device working?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...liminator.html
It took a lot of tinkering to get it just right and I'm only on 440's so 20 PSI is too much really. I just wanted to see if I could do it

Once it was set up, I have never touched it again.
Old 12-06-13, 09:57 AM
Drift101
Rookie

ya sorry guys been busy haven't had a chance to look into this 96 vrs 97 wiring i'll try an get to it this weeken and keep an update

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod