SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Automatic tranny guys..... your input is requested.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 07:52 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lammy2012
man, this is such a tough decision....i just found a red auto 99 with 112k for just under $3G's in immaculate condition!!! wondering if its a typo, but the price is listed twice. the owner is'nt contacting me back though!!!! GRRRRR
If it's on Craigslist, this is probably a scam.

EDIT - yep, just found the one youre are talking about. Tell Susanewans@hotmail.com to go sucks deep fried goatnutz. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is....
Old 04-07-10, 08:03 AM
lammy2012
Rookie

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
If it's on Craigslist, this is probably a scam.

EDIT - yep, just found the one youre are talking about. Tell Susanewans@hotmail.com to go sucks deep fried goatnutz. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is....

lol... thats the one. 2 e-mails and no response.
Old 04-07-10, 08:29 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

lol... thats the one. 2 e-mails and no response.
I sent one too, just for giggles. I cant wait to hear how shes out of the country, and the price will include shipping, and she'll want to complete it through eBay or Western Union because its "safe...."
Old 04-07-10, 05:27 PM
lammy2012
Rookie

I sent one too, just for giggles. I cant wait to hear how shes out of the country, and the price will include shipping, and she'll want to complete it through eBay or Western Union because its "safe...."

did you hear anything back yet?? she responded finally and told me it was her son's car who passed away over seas(i'm assuming the war) and that money is'nt an issue. she's selling it as a gift to someone who she feels will take care of it the way her son did. don't know whether to believe her or not yet. we'll see what happens in the next couple days.
Old 04-07-10, 05:40 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

I say just find yourself a nice condition auto. Especially if you are planning on swapping the motor. Complete 1jz front clip is about 2200. That includes everything you need for the 5spd swap as well. So there ya go. That is pretty much how I looked at it.

I bought mine as an auto. And It was fun for time i've had it. I decided it was time to do the swap, and am putting in the 5spd tranny that comes with the front clip. total, about 3800.

So get the auto, enjoy it, then grab yourself a good 1jz front clip and either keep the components and keep it auto, or, throw the 5spd in right then and there =)
Old 04-07-10, 05:58 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

did you hear anything back yet?? she responded finally and told me it was her son's car who passed away over seas(i'm assuming the war) and that money is'nt an issue. she's selling it as a gift to someone who she feels will take care of it the way her son did. don't know whether to believe her or not yet. we'll see what happens in the next couple days.
Here is the response I got:

Hello,
I want to thank you for your interest to buy this 1999 Lexus SC300 Sport Coupe has only 119191 actual miles. It is very clean, garaged all the time.I hope I will not bother you with this story. Because of my handicap (I am deaf-mute) internet is the only place where I can try to sell the car. I hope I will be able to answer all the questions you might have by email as any other type of communication will be impossible. Unfortunately my son passed away in Kandahar last year. This Lexus was his car. Now as I have no family left, the car will be my gift, my gift in the memory of my son...Money is not a problem! All I want is to find the right person who will love and take care of this car. The price I am after is $2,800. You may wonder why I ask this small amount for this car. Well, the truth is that I decided to do this only as form of protest. This is exactly what I have received as compensation after my son died serving his country.Nothing more, nothing less!! If you are interested, email me back.

Some words about the car:
To see the pics, click on the link: http://s832.photobucket.com/home/Red...300SportCoupe/
This is a smoke-free automobile. This is a garage kept vehicle.The mileage represented on this vehicle is accurate.This vehicle has a smooth shifting transmission.The electronic components on this vehicle are in working order.The exterior of this vehicle is extra clean.Extra clean interior. Absolutely no rips, odors or abuse.There is approximately 75% of the tire tread remaining.

Regards,
Susan Evans

She's a lying wh@re, don't believe the hype.
Old 04-07-10, 06:04 PM
lammy2012
Rookie

Originally Posted by SOARhighER
I say just find yourself a nice condition auto. Especially if you are planning on swapping the motor. Complete 1jz front clip is about 2200. That includes everything you need for the 5spd swap as well. So there ya go. That is pretty much how I looked at it.

I bought mine as an auto. And It was fun for time i've had it. I decided it was time to do the swap, and am putting in the 5spd tranny that comes with the front clip. total, about 3800.

So get the auto, enjoy it, then grab yourself a good 1jz front clip and either keep the components and keep it auto, or, throw the 5spd in right then and there =)
where did you get the clip from?

Here is the response I got:

Hello,
I want to thank you for your interest to buy this 1999 Lexus SC300 Sport Coupe has only 119191 actual miles. It is very clean, garaged all the time.I hope I will not bother you with this story. Because of my handicap (I am deaf-mute) internet is the only place where I can try to sell the car. I hope I will be able to answer all the questions you might have by email as any other type of communication will be impossible. Unfortunately my son passed away in Kandahar last year. This Lexus was his car. Now as I have no family left, the car will be my gift, my gift in the memory of my son...Money is not a problem! All I want is to find the right person who will love and take care of this car. The price I am after is $2,800. You may wonder why I ask this small amount for this car. Well, the truth is that I decided to do this only as form of protest. This is exactly what I have received as compensation after my son died serving his country.Nothing more, nothing less!! If you are interested, email me back.

Some words about the car:
To see the pics, click on the link: http://s832.photobucket.com/home/Red...300SportCoupe/
This is a smoke-free automobile. This is a garage kept vehicle.The mileage represented on this vehicle is accurate.This vehicle has a smooth shifting transmission.The electronic components on this vehicle are in working order.The exterior of this vehicle is extra clean.Extra clean interior. Absolutely no rips, odors or abuse.There is approximately 75% of the tire tread remaining.

Regards,
Susan Evans

She's a lying wh@re, don't believe the hype.

exact same response i got.
Old 04-07-10, 06:07 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

where did you get the clip from?

A good friend of mine who owns a shop imports them. 1jz, 2jz, sr20det, rb25/26dett, etc. pretty much anything.
Old 04-07-10, 06:41 PM
lammy2012
Rookie

Originally Posted by SOARhighER
A good friend of mine who owns a shop imports them. 1jz, 2jz, sr20det, rb25/26dett, etc. pretty much anything.
i'll be keeping in contact then. is that the price shipped to me?
Old 04-07-10, 06:49 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

i'll be keeping in contact then. is that the price shipped to me?
I'd have to ask him... maybe he could just have his importer ship directly to you, otherwise no that would not include shipping.
Old 04-07-10, 07:19 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

so i'm currently in search of my future SC300. i'm finding a ton of automatics and very few manuals. i'd REALLY like a manual for obvious reasons but the ones i'm finding are either beat up or out of my price range. i'd eventually like to swap the motor to either a 1j or 2j gte. what are your overall feelings on your automatics? for the guys who are running a swap with AT, i really would like to hear what you have to say. thanks in advance.
I cant speak for anyone else but from my experiance, I friggin H-A-T-E the a340 automatic tranny and before anyones give me **** about maintenance let me just say that i DO NOT beat up on my cars and have been a certified Toyota tech for 4 years and always take care of my cars...I bought my 97 sc300 auto a few years back, DD'd for a while then that sucker started slipping and losing tranny fluid ever few days. I said **** it and went ahead and swapped to an Aristo 2jz-gte motor with the Aristo GTE auto tranny thinking it was tougher...few months passed, and i finished the swap, took the car out for my first drive as a turbo sc and the turbo auto tranny started slipping within 10 minutes . I was pretty pissed but again i stuck with the turbo auto tranny and swapped in another turbo auto tranny from a USDM Supra TT...lol this tranny was so jacked up that it wouldnt even shift into second gear. Come to find out, that the 2nd gear sprang magically got all fracked up ...Mind you that i went through 2 turbo auto trannys in 2 weeks, 3 auto trannys in total over a course of 6 months. This time i was contemplating whether to push my SC off a cliff or throw in yet another tranny BUT this time i went with a w58 5 speed swap. Cars been running like a champ ever since at around 400 rwhp and 380 rwtq...and now im going Soarer R154 which has 32k miles on it and im throwing all the Marlin Crawler goodies on it as i plan to make somewhere in the 800 rwhp range

Sorry for the rant but my point is...GET A MANUAL!!!

Zeeshaun

Last edited by jdmJZA70; 04-07-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 08:28 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

^^ That all sucked candy coated goatnutz, but I'm pretty sure you just has feces luck. I think I can type with a fair amount of certainty that your situation was the extreme exception rather than the rule.
Old 04-08-10, 01:20 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Get a nice clean auto. Manual ones are more expensive. When you plan on swapping, just get a clip with a manual tranny. Imo if you are planning to make good power, it shouldnt be in a w58 anyways.
Old 04-08-10, 01:35 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

shift kit the auto with a big trans cooler in series with the radiator.

and then watch you manual mates go backwards at the lights

w58 - dont even bother unless you are a 1uz
r154 - yes good for around 600 - 700hp depends on how its treated
v160 - yes if you have won the lotto
Old 04-08-10, 10:54 AM
rdubious23
Rookie

The 11th Commandment is "Thou shalt have more than one car to suit thine purposes." I LOVE manual transmission cars, but didnt really want one in the SC. I currently have a 6 speed Legend Sedan (talk about RARE!) but will be selling that for another 6 speed sedan, probably a Maxima. Something about grabbing gears in a quick 4 door is pretty cool IMO.

I'd get the cleanest best priced example (within your budget) out there and roll with that, no matter what tranny is in it.
Man, I was all about a Legend Coupe or Sedan manual! I drove 4 hours out of state to pick up a clean Legend coupe, and that b!#$% sold it before I got there. But, days later I find my clean SC for under $4k on Ebay. I think I turned out better.
I've had two G35 coupes (miss it, but kept having kids) and that stick kind of wore me out so I'm cool with the auto SC for now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I start looking for the switch to manual since it's not my daily.

Quick Reply: Automatic tranny guys..... your input is requested.