SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fixable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 04:54 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fixable??

Is this fixable? I wanna know so I can decide whether to get a new bumper, or if it's cheaper to get a body shop to fix the one I have now. And I'd rather ask on here first, instead of going to a body shop. (Don't have much free time in day to go).
Attached Thumbnails Fixable??-bumper-close-up-60702.jpg  
Old 06-07-02, 05:44 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the bumper cracked or just scratched? I can't tell. What about the paint? Cracked or scratched?
Old 06-07-02, 06:35 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Looks bad. Sorry to say that I wouldn't even bother having someone strip down and try to repair that gash. I would just get a new bumper. It may be time to get a body kit

Last edited by Hermosa; 06-07-02 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 06:44 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

It's cracked and buckled somewhat. Believe it or not, that's my '97 bumper I put on my '92. I got in the wreck before I got to get it painted. So it's just the urathane bumper. That's why I wanted to know if it'd be cheaper to just get a new bumper and put it on myself again, or to try to get someone else to fix this one. Yeah, I was thinking about the body kit Herosa, possibly the bomex, I like how it has the big openness in the center. Good place for mesh I just don't like the fiberglass aspect of the kits. Here is another pic of the crack.
Attached Thumbnails Fixable??-bumper-high-beam-gap.jpg  
Old 06-07-02, 08:25 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

damn john... it seems we both have own fair share of bad luck w/ our cars. my poor baby jus can't seem to catch a break. so what's your plan now? I was thinking how cool it would be to have a kit on an sc cuz no one around here does but i guess that might all change pretty soon. I was suppose to be getting my kit in today but due to some bizzare supernatural force acting on the delievery service it didn't come in damn all these delays!!! now i have to call up this shipping company and ***** at them. oh well.
Old 06-07-02, 10:08 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Replace it, at least it wasn't painted, body shops hate to take the paint off the stock bumpers and for that reason new covers are usually cheaper. In your case you probably could fix it, but I would'nt want to screw with it, just get a new one.
Old 06-08-02, 12:09 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Your kit probably looks SO cool Khang, that they wanted to look at it just one more day before they gave it to you.
I was thinking how cool it would be to have a kit on an sc cuz no one around here does but i guess that might all change pretty soon.
What's that mean, you think I'm gonna get one too? That would be pretty bad a$$ though ,both of us strolling around beating down all of those hondas on campus. It's just the fiberglass that's making me think twice. And not a big fan of the big tubes for the ground effects and on the back-sides. Maybe if I saw it in person, I might change my mind.

But back to the topic at hand, is my bumper sellable, even though it's all jacked up??
Old 06-08-02, 07:11 AM
praetorian180
Driver

Wow how crazy. The same type of damage happened to me on Thursday. My bumper is pushed in just like that picture. The only difference is that I have black paint/rubber all over my bumper. I'm going to get mine replaced too, if you buy a 97+ bumper can you tell me how much your estimate is?
Old 06-08-02, 12:37 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

well john to be honest w/ u, if i were in your position, i'd try to get a new one or a body kit. it seems like a lot of trouble trying to fix it. I know it's hard to hear cuz u jus got the new bumper but you know what they say. all good things end. In your case end quicky or even before they've begun. but when i get my kit u'll see what it looks like in person. I plan on putting it on at the end of july so around that time i'll let u know what's up. If u dont like the side skirts then i guess u really wouldn't have to get them. the blue sc in the gallery that was at nopi only had the front bumper of the kit and it didnt look to bad. i talked to the owner when i was there and he paid 800 jus for the front but i think he included the installation and paint. it would be pretty tight have both our sc kitted out rolling through lsu. we could show all those honda freaks they dont run the show. As for selling your bumper, who do u think would buy it???
Old 06-08-02, 12:49 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Originally posted by praetorian180
Wow how crazy. The same type of damage happened to me on Thursday. My bumper is pushed in just like that picture. The only difference is that I have black paint/rubber all over my bumper. I'm going to get mine replaced too, if you buy a 97+ bumper can you tell me how much your estimate is?
This bumper cost me like $310, and the body shop told me it would be about $500 to paint it (before it got messed up), but that's including my left fender, and shaving my back emblems. I can't remember if that was with or without them taking my car apart and doing it. But I'm just going to bring my new bumper up there, and my fender, and let them paint that, then bring it back to my house and put it on.

i talked to the owner when i was there and he paid 800 jus for the front but i think he included the installation and paint.
I saw on the bomex website, it was $500 for the front, so only about $200 more than a '97 bumper. But I don't know how much shipping would bump it up to. Oh, and Khang, did you get the '97 bomex, or the '92 bomex?? And could you post the link for that blue sc, I can't find it in the gallery.

Thanks, John
Old 06-08-02, 01:19 PM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/ph....pl?photo=1812

its funny u couldn't find it cuz it's the same sc that u posted the mess grill thread on I guess u cant tell from that angle but that sc only has the front bumper piece off the bomex kit.

As for the year, i got the first '92 model cuz i didn't want to go through all the hassle of getting the '97 fogs and what not, plus i dont like how the newer model looks. I prefer the older style. As for the prices off bomexaero.com dont rely on them. I paid a little less than what they priced the kit for from gtautosports. If u want to get an exact number than call them up and ask david. I'm sure u'll get a better price than 500.
Old 06-08-02, 09:00 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Default get new bumper

Yeah...i would say get a new bumper as well...I had an accident on my 92 bumper back in Dec and good thing i had the full bra cover on so my cover is gone but it saved my bumper from cracking and dent and even series scratching...i was so glad....bad luck for the guy that i hit....i dent his fender, doors and broke his wheel axle( where i first hit). I was doing 15 in the snow when things went out of control btw. I am looking to get the new bumper as well....just short in $
Old 06-09-02, 08:46 AM
lextsy
Driver School Candidate

Your bumper definitely needs to be replaced. You may check around in your area and find a remanufactured bumper cover. I work for a major ins co as an estimator here in GA, we use a place called Bumpers Internatational. You may need to check with some of your local body shops, I am sure they can point you toward a remanufactured supplier. Cost should be a considerable amount cheaper and quality will be like new if this is a reputable co. Make sure this co. remans oem bumper covers and not aftermarket.
Old 06-09-02, 09:42 PM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Lextsy, do you think I could probably sell my messed up bumper to a company like this?

Lexgendboi, that's good that at least your bumper didn't get messed up.

Khang, yeah I forgot all about that one. When you said "blue" I automatically thought my color blue, not that bright one. What are you going to put (if anything) in the "indent" on the front of the kit, where the front license plate goes. (since we only have back license plates)

Since fiberglass isn't as sturdy as urathane, would one of those bumper covers that are clear film, protect it from chips, and help it retain it's integrity?