SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 08:26 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i relocated my battery to the trunk, i ran the wire from the engine bay to under the driver seat. there is a rubber grommet i popped out and ran the wire up and through the interior through the back seats.
Old 04-07-10, 08:28 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

How did you relocate your battery? I'm looking to do the same thing..
Old 04-07-10, 08:38 PM
barry g
Driver School Candidate

A capacitor is for really deep bass drops. when you have it cranked and the bass hits it "sucks" power out of the amp and the rest of the car. a "cap" is just a quick discharge battery. Keeps your lights from dimming or flickering. Only really necessary on high power systems. Be careful not to cut any wires in the grommet. Had a friend that did that, was an expensive fix for him.
Old 04-07-10, 11:58 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow this thread for location:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elocation.html

About 4-5 pics down you'll see a similar power red wire routed through a hole.

Remove fender liner on drivers front fender, run wire from amp, beside drivers seat, next to junction/fuse box, through rubber grommet, up into engine bay, over wheel well, directly to battery. cake.
Old 04-08-10, 07:14 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about the surge going from the amp up to the fuse box. I never hardwire into the fusebox. The best way is to tap into the wiring for the stereo it's self. I put a second battery into the trunk. I have an 0 gauge going from a battery isolator to the trunk to recharge the battery. The function of a battery isolator allows you to play the stereo with out running your engine. The2nd battery runs the system. Then when it is time to turn your car on the battery under the hood is untouched and able to start the car.

I upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp. Cost my about $350 to have a brand new one beefed up. It is a stock one orginally and is sent off to have extra coils installed. It took about 3 weeks for mine to come in. I went to www.motorcityreman.com to have mine made. You may be able to find someone local to take your old one and rebuild it. More than likely it may take less time....hind sight for me.
Old 04-08-10, 12:44 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

I ran the wire through the huge rubber grommet in the driver side wheel well behind the splash guard. The 4 gauge cable was run over the wheel well and through the hole right next to the battery. No unsightly wires in the engine bay and a large grommet that can handle a large wire.
Old 04-08-10, 02:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled

Remove fender liner on drivers front fender, run wire from amp, beside drivers seat, next to junction/fuse box, through rubber grommet, up into engine bay, over wheel well, directly to battery. cake.
cool, didnt know what the other side looked like and that it was right behind the fender liner .

oh and to the OP, you dont need a capactior or anything special to run an ordinary amp. Make sure you put an inline fuse as close to tha battery as possible. This is a must or if the wire breaks you can start a fire. this will help against any electrical mishaps like you mentioned.

select the gauge of wire appropriate for the total wattage you are running through the line.
here is a basic chart for reference and at the bottom of the page, look under Circuit Watts 12V and estimate how many feet you need.
http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm
Old 04-08-10, 05:26 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Yes. Install all wires under the carpet. Dont route that crap where it can be seen easily.
Old 04-08-10, 06:49 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

If you have enough amp/subs to require 0 gauge youll need at least 1 extra battery and a cap, the bigger the amp the more youll need etc.... Most amps wont take 0 gauge ive only seen a couple insane competition amps that do, most taker 4 ga or 8ga so youll need a distribution block also..... really if your getting that into car stereo you should join a stereo forum. I was an installer for a few years so i could go on all day..... The biggest thing to remeber is USE A FUSE!!!!
Old 04-10-10, 05:45 AM
snowfox444
Driver

The fuse that comes on the amp power wire.. should it be located closest to the battery or the amp? because its connected to the power wire and as if its not hard enough to feed through the firewall.. :/ I cant seem to get it through that hole in the drivers side floor near the wheel well. This awesome guy from best buy gave me some awesome advice that could get him fired because its against "policy" to tell the customer anything >.> - He told me my amp wasnt working because I didn't hook up the remote wire to the stereo which he said was this long thin black cord with a cap on the end of it? he also told me that the easiest route through my firewall would be alongside the steering column into the engine bay where there was a lonely rubber piece I could punch through. Now how the hell do you run a wire along the steering column?? do you have to take the whole bottom paneling out???
Old 04-10-10, 09:08 AM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The remote should run from the back of your stereo to your amp. I ran mine down the center console and under the back seat to the trunk. The remote turns your amp on when you turn on your HU. Look at your HU owners manual...find the remote wire and then connect to a line long enough to run to your trunk. Then "T" off to the 2 amps or run it in series between the 2.
Old 04-05-21, 07:26 PM
Coleman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snowfox444
I been looking on this forum, google, up and down my 95 sc400 and i cant find anywhere where I can squeeze my 8 gauge wire thru??? please help. Its greatly appreciated!! Also, in the future if I were to run 2000 watts rms and street glow lighting would I need to run a 0 gauge wire and could I put it through the same spot? TRYING TO GET THE AMP WIRE INTO THE ENGINE BAY!

PS: I dont have access to a drill that can go thru metal, maybe a dremmel but not a drill...

I apologize in advance if the answer is in the forums somewhere but I couldn't find it and I been looking all day now.. Thanks

*pov upsidedown in car on driver side above pedal*

took my 96 sc in today to get my amp installed and the guy working told me he couldn’t figure out how to run it for a couple hours and there was nothing on forums and said i’d make a few peoples days if i posted how he ran it so here ya guys go
Old 04-06-21, 08:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't think that is making anyones day, they literally ran it through the clutch bracket, right against the clutch rod, and right over the clutch neutral switch.
It looks like it will get pinched by the neutral switch bracket or crushed by the clutch pedal over time. When it does it will short out and could be very dangerous.
It could also keep you from clutching in all the way if it hangs up just right which is also dangerous.
Basically that is completely wrong, I have literally never even seen a wire routed so wrong before.

There is a proper way to run it that is linked in the thread, on this forum, through the fender area where it is completely safe from things crushing it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...elocation.html
So the guy working on it was wrong... twice. I would recommend redoing that as soon as possible.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-06-21 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-07-21)
Old 04-11-21, 08:48 AM
Accord-R
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

They ran my battery cable through the fill tank next to the stock battery location through the fender and into the cabin. No cutting of anything required. Doesn't interfere with anything either.
Old 04-13-21, 10:17 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Spooled

This is what I did when I relocated my battery. I put the main power wire directly off the original positive lead in the fuse box, then routed it into the fender well. Put a junction box to the starter on the frame rail behind the fender hidden by the fender liner. Then fed the 1 gauge wire thru the OEM wiring harness grommet into the cabin. There are 2 nubs that can be cut to feed large gauge wire thru.
*****PRO TIP: Feed the wire thru the gommet from inside the car to the fenderwell. The nubs jut outward into the fender well.
Once you're in the cabin you just feed under the carpeting until you get to the back seats. I mounted a Braille battery behind the passenger seat. But if you are putting a battery in the trunk, or an amp, there are grommets to feed wiring thru the rear firewall on the upper part of either side of it. They are right below the rear decklid. If I remember right they are almost hidden by the rear C pillar trim so you will need to pull the rear seat