SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 04:44 PM
snowfox444
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?

I been looking on this forum, google, up and down my 95 sc400 and i cant find anywhere where I can squeeze my 8 gauge wire thru??? please help. Its greatly appreciated!! Also, in the future if I were to run 2000 watts rms and street glow lighting would I need to run a 0 gauge wire and could I put it through the same spot? TRYING TO GET THE AMP WIRE INTO THE ENGINE BAY!

PS: I dont have access to a drill that can go thru metal, maybe a dremmel but not a drill...

I apologize in advance if the answer is in the forums somewhere but I couldn't find it and I been looking all day now.. Thanks

Last edited by snowfox444; 04-07-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 04:48 PM
iduntnoega
Driver

are you trying to wire it to the trunk?
if so, you can remove the rear seats, and on the top corner on the passenger side of the rear seats, theres a rubber seal that you can actually rip through to run wires through to the trunk. check this link if it was a lil confusing, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexu...b-working.html,
Old 04-07-10, 04:53 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i think he's trying to get the wire from the engine bay into the car.. i did something.. but i think its bad.. so i rather not share my idea with you.. haha
Old 04-07-10, 04:55 PM
snowfox444
Driver

yeah the amp and subs are in the trunk... im just trying to get the red power wire through the firewall so i can hook it to my positive terminal.. thats all thats stopping me from bumping!! I managed to get the wire temporary thru the sub hole in the back where the stock speakers and subs were originally to go around having to take out the back seat back rest . by the way that link is dead.
Old 04-07-10, 04:55 PM
snowfox444
Driver

he? you mean me? because im a she

lol share anyway. and yes i am trying to get it into the engine bay. I tried running it alongside the door but the door crimps it when shut ..
Old 04-07-10, 05:02 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is routed through the large rubber grommet where the wiring harness is located on the firewall. It goes down under the dash and routed under the carpet. I'm running a 4gauge for my amp.

Just push it through from the engine bay and stick your hand under the dash to pull it through. You can make a small hole in the rubber or leave it slightly open to go around it.
Old 04-07-10, 05:05 PM
snowfox444
Driver

it has a yellow bendy straw looking like wire in there right? drivers side under where the steering column is? i was gonna use that spot.. how did you get it through there though? without messing up the other wires there?
Old 04-07-10, 05:15 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran my wire through the factory clutch opening (I have an automatic). I decided to drill through, as it allowed me to make sure I could properly seal the opening. You may be able to use a dremel but I'm sure it'd be difficult.

You could also use a razor to cut into a factory grommet to run the wire through, just be careful.

Here's a thread with some pics posted of my power wire location.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...pass-thru.html

Last edited by Scotty; 04-07-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 05:40 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
Mine is routed through the large rubber grommet where the wiring harness is located on the firewall. It goes down under the dash and routed under the carpet. I'm running a 4gauge for my amp.

Just push it through from the engine bay and stick your hand under the dash to pull it through. You can make a small hole in the rubber or leave it slightly open to go around it.
This was the easiest way that i found as well.

Also, don't run street glow
Old 04-07-10, 05:58 PM
snowfox444
Driver

whats wrong with the led underglow?

Last edited by snowfox444; 04-07-10 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 06:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by snowfox444
it has a yellow bendy straw looking like wire in there right? drivers side under where the steering column is? i was gonna use that spot.. how did you get it through there though? without messing up the other wires there?
yup, theres a large rubber grommet there with something going through it already. its like right next to the clutch.
The grommet is Huge though so I made a slit in it and pushed the wire through.
it comes out in the hole in the engine bay that goes to the drivers fender area, right next to the brake booster. make a small hook out of a hanger and you can grab the wire easy. I like this cause its a striaght shot to the battery and keeps everything away from the elements. these pics are from my automatic.
Attached Thumbnails How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?-imgp1802.jpg   How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?-imgp1801.jpg  

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-07-10 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 04-07-10, 06:46 PM
jcastaneda
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an 0 gauge wire through I took the glove box out and removed the amp that was sitting behind it. I went to the hardware store and got a 13/16 bit with a center tap and drilled just to the outboard side of the battery. Then went to Autozone and picked up a rubber grommet to line the hole to keep from chaffing.
Attached Thumbnails How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?-sdc10148.jpg   How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?-sdc10151.jpg  
Old 04-07-10, 06:49 PM
snowfox444
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yup, theres a large rubber grommet there with something going through it already. its like right next to the clutch.
The grommet is Huge though so I made a slit in it and pushed the wire through.
it comes out in the hole in the engine bay that goes to the drivers fender area, right next to the brake booster. make a small hook out of a hanger and you can grab the wire easy. I like this cause its a striaght shot to the battery and keeps everything away from the elements. these pics are from my automatic.

PERFECTION!!! MUCHOS GRACIAS!!!!
Old 04-07-10, 06:49 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I'm looking forward to doing this soon..
Old 04-07-10, 06:57 PM
snowfox444
Driver

this is going to suck.. good thing im not afraid to break a nail and get a little dirty :P

I dont have any razors, can I use a knife to cut through the grommet instead?
Are the 0 gauge wires for systems running a huge wattage amount? Is there a chance for the amp to backfeed? That happened in my 93' Camry and melted the fuse box and destroyed my positive terminal and harness.. Im scared of this happening again.. :/

what purpose does a capacitor serve? and last but not least, has anyone upgraded thier alternator yet? I'm planning on upgrading to 175w.

sorry for asking questions like a little kid with all the "whats this? why?"

Quick Reply: How do you run the amp wire thru the firewall?