SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Picked up a 92 SC400 and car has no power HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 02:56 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can it be the distributor cap and rotor causing this. ? I have not changed it yet!
Old 04-10-10, 03:46 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Originally Posted by ProjectSC3
Check your fuel pressure. It should be at least 40 psi.

Also you could check the resistance of your coils using a multi meter. I can get you the specs when I go to work tonight.
thanks
please give me the specs
Old 04-11-10, 09:35 AM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS400JDM2
can it be the distributor cap and rotor causing this. ? I have not changed it yet!
Go buy new distributor rotors and make sure they are put on properly!!! My car was having the same issue after a timing belt and water pump change, the idiot (me) who put the rotors back one put one on wrong but i figured it out just about a week after! it's definitely NOT your catalytic converters! I hollowed mine out and that didnt help at all lol GL
Old 04-11-10, 06:33 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

I will get those specs tomorrow.

Have you checked your fuel pressure yet??

Last edited by ProjectSC3; 04-11-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-11-10, 10:13 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by drft_n_VIP
Go buy new distributor rotors and make sure they are put on properly!!! My car was having the same issue after a timing belt and water pump change, the idiot (me) who put the rotors back one put one on wrong but i figured it out just about a week after! it's definitely NOT your catalytic converters! I hollowed mine out and that didnt help at all lol GL
hey there i did the plugs, then wires , n ow the car runs smooth no misfiring sounds like on all 8 cylinder but then still get the limited power then car stutters around 2 ,ooo rpm maybe a little bit over then i open the throttle more the car will stutter and has no power but still accelerate a little up to 75 mph then it won't go no where, If i put it in neutral and rev it up it will go pretty high in the rpm but the RPM .

I have just done one side of the distributor caps and rotor (driver side) and have not put in the passenger side as I see that i need to take out radiator hoses and maybe a few more parts. Please advice on how to take out distributor cap cover on the passenger side. i will change that and see what is going on . thank you
Old 04-11-10, 10:14 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

not yet I will get my friend to h elp on that or take it to the mechanic for that do you think its the fuel ?
Old 04-12-10, 07:01 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

Disconnect ignition coil No. 1 electrical connector.
Measure resistance across primary terminals.

Should be 0.40 - 0.50 ohms

You can test that but I don't really think it's a coil. It sounds like a fuel issue. Check the pressure and look for any leaks. They may be really small. And it wouldn't hurt to try a fuel system cleaning.
Old 04-12-10, 11:38 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool

Disconnect ignition coil No. 1 electrical connector.
Measure resistance across primary terminals.

Should be 0.40 - 0.50 ohms

You can test that but I don't really think it's a coil. It sounds like a fuel issue. Check the pressure and look for any leaks. They may be really small. And it wouldn't hurt to try a fuel system cleaning.
If the coils are bad wouldn't the engine run rough?
It runs like new the power sound until it hits around 2.0-2.5 k rpm in gear . that is when it stutters and will not go any further i have trouble keeping it at 65-70 mph . I will check the fuel pressure and then change fuel filter .

The mechanic say it can be the TPS throttle position sensor , can a bad TPS cause the car not to go?
thanks
Old 04-13-10, 06:52 AM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

Yeah if your coils are bad it would run really rough all the time.

I don't think it's the TPS because you only have this problem when your in gear and the engine is under load right? If you can bring the rpms up when your in neutral just fine then the tps sensor sounds like it's working. Now if this problem occurs both in gear and in neutral than yes I might be a tps sensor. If you have some sort of scan tool that shows data it is really easy to check the sensor.

And if you want to be sure that it is not spark related just go pick up a cheap spark tester from a auto parts store and just check it at every wire before the plug. I think there like $5 and there very easy to use.
Old 04-14-10, 08:54 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

i got one engine code 71 check out and also a friend of mine said it is the TPS throttle body sensor? Can the TPS cause such a problem with no acceleration or power in gear pass 2,000 rpm?
Old 04-19-10, 11:28 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Nope, but I have changed dist cap rotor, wires plugs, ignition fires correctly car runs perfect except when it gets to about 2500 rpm then it stutters and has no power kinda flat lines and goes up slowly now since i did the fuel filter today!!!
One mechanic said it maybe a bad TPS throttle body sensor?
any one got any idea now?
Old 04-19-10, 11:35 PM
sagikun
Driver

disconnect the tps with the engine running. its a connector pluged directly in to your throttle body somewhere. tell me what happens.
Old 04-19-10, 11:44 PM
sagikun
Driver

oh and your car is running like that becuase it knows someting is wrong. its in fail safe mode. if a vital sensor is sending wacky reading back to the pcm it will ignore it and substitute the value based on all the other sensors in order for the car to still run. but it prevents you from going over a certain rpm or speed limit in fail safe to prevent more damage. and also sets a engine light
Old 04-21-10, 03:09 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by sagikun
oh and your car is running like that becuase it knows someting is wrong. its in fail safe mode. if a vital sensor is sending wacky reading back to the pcm it will ignore it and substitute the value based on all the other sensors in order for the car to still run. but it prevents you from going over a certain rpm or speed limit in fail safe to prevent more damage. and also sets a engine light
it still drives past 2500 or more but just stutters around that rpm range in gear on freeway and if i floor it and down shift it down shift smoothly but no power will accelerate slowly on down shift. What can it be?

thank you
Old 04-21-10, 03:11 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS400JDM2
it still drives past 2500 or more but just stutters around that rpm range in gear on freeway and if i floor it and down shift it down shift smoothly but no power will accelerate slowly on down shift. What can it be?

thank you
also got a code 71 egr.

Nope, but I have changed dist cap rotor, wires plugs, ignition fires correctly car runs perfect except when it gets to about 2500 rpm then it stutters and has no power kinda flat lines and goes up slowly now since i did the fuel filter today!!!
One mechanic said it maybe a bad TPS throttle body sensor?
any one got any idea now?

Quick Reply: Picked up a 92 SC400 and car has no power HELP