Picked up a 92 SC400 and car has no power HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 06:53 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Picked up a 92 SC400 and car has no power HELP

Hello yall,

My sc400 has been sitting for on and off a year, Engine is rebuilt a year ago.

The car runs idles ok but the smog check guy says its missfiring in one cylinder , when i accelerate from stop the car has no power and will not even rev past 2ooo rpm when i am on the freeway. It sounds weak and it stutters when i get it to 2000 rpm i can barely go 60 mph on it ,

1)i have check the intake hose with hole in it , replaced,
2)I have just purchased the sparkplugs ngk platinum pregapped . Going to replace it tonight

What else do i need to check for step by step please let me know asap as i need to fix it to get around tomorrow.

Any advice or links will be appreciated. please help.

thank you in advanced!
Old 04-07-10, 07:10 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Forgot to mention the power gets lower by day it seems cause yesterday I can get it running up to 80 mph but still go the hesitation cause the guy said one is misfiring. thank you
Old 04-07-10, 07:16 PM
PauseBreak
Driver School Candidate

swap a 1j, your motor sounds like its on its last leg. misfire can be anything from a burnt valve to a bad injector. not worth dumping money into it if it has over 150k
Old 04-07-10, 10:01 PM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

could it be something simple as spark plug , wires distributor cap and rotors
i remember he was saying it was just not sparking maybe not misfiring. any one ?

thank you
Old 04-07-10, 10:01 PM
1995Lexusc
Pole Position

There could be a few things. Bad coils, Open wires pinched between the cam covers, bad MAF, Timing off by a tooth etc. Keep checking it thoroughly.
Old 04-08-10, 04:04 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool just changed spark plugs did not fix problem

I just changed to new spark plugs , nothing has improved. car idle kinda smoothly Car still stutters , vibrate a bit at idle , as i accelerate it has no power , engine sounds quiet and did not have the plow to it like before ,and will not go past 2000 rpm if i hit the throttle further it will go plah plah plah sound and will not have power to accelerate fast nor go fast at all .

Here is what i discovered!

1)The timing belt or the belt on both sides, that connects and turns the cam gears has cracks all over it!!!=0

2) 7 of the spark plugs look normal with a redish brownish color to it except one . the spark plug closest to the driver position is black instead of brownish red like the rest of them.

***Keep in mind the car was sitting for a year on and off and when i started it up a few days ago and ran it it had power and was pulling even tho not the most powerful pull as the power was flattening out at way less then red line.Then now 3 days later it came to this as mentioned above with no power , weak engine sound, stuttering , will not go past 2000 rpm.

What do you guys recommend me to do now . Please give as much details as possible. Thank you
Old 04-08-10, 04:26 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1995Lexusc
There could be a few things. Bad coils, Open wires pinched between the cam covers, bad MAF, Timing off by a tooth etc. Keep checking it thoroughly.
I agree...check the cats if they get really red its the ignition coils. The one on the driver side of the car. (side of the block)
Old 04-08-10, 08:21 AM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

Check your fuel pressure. It should be at least 40 psi.

Also you could check the resistance of your coils using a multi meter. I can get you the specs when I go to work tonight.
Old 04-08-10, 10:56 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats what I was thinking was your fuel pressure and also a bad coil. Maybe even a Fuel ECU, going bad. Just a thought. Keep us informed.
Old 04-08-10, 08:41 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

timing thats what mine is on the ls
Old 04-09-10, 12:22 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by LS400JDM2
I just changed to new spark plugs , nothing has improved. car idle kinda smoothly Car still stutters , vibrate a bit at idle , as i accelerate it has no power , engine sounds quiet and did not have the plow to it like before ,and will not go past 2000 rpm if i hit the throttle further it will go plah plah plah sound and will not have power to accelerate fast nor go fast at all .

Here is what i discovered!

1)The timing belt or the belt on both sides, that connects and turns the cam gears has cracks all over it!!!=0

2) 7 of the spark plugs look normal with a redish brownish color to it except one . the spark plug closest to the driver position is black instead of brownish red like the rest of them.

***Keep in mind the car was sitting for a year on and off and when i started it up a few days ago and ran it it had power and was pulling even tho not the most powerful pull as the power was flattening out at way less then red line.Then now 3 days later it came to this as mentioned above with no power , weak engine sound, stuttering , will not go past 2000 rpm.

What do you guys recommend me to do now . Please give as much details as possible. Thank you
I just completed my tune up with new plugs last night and tonight new Sparkplugs wires, What a difference they make the car started up idling high , very steady idle, no more jerking or vibrating engine it felt super smooth at idle, then when i gas it up it was super smooth powerful acceleration, took off like a rocket! However when i gets to around 2000-2500 rpm the car kinda flat lines ! It kinda feels like something is stuck to prevent it from further pulling. Also when i stop the car after the short drive I hear locks of tick tack ticking sound coming from the exaust system. Can it be a clogged catalytic converter? Please advice. thank you
Old 04-09-10, 12:36 AM
roadkill5o
Driver

that ticking sound from the exhaust is completely normal, all cars do it...that period around 2-2500rpms that u say flatlines i cant really figure out...all i can say is dont stop ur tune up just because u fixed one problem, id strongly reccomend u change the timing belts and clean your MAF...be careful cleaning it though, many people damage it completely when cleaning it, just be gentle and get some MAF cleaner
Old 04-09-10, 04:11 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

yeah man...ignition coils. They are not that expensive. You fan get aftermarket and they run just as good as OEM.
Old 04-09-10, 07:28 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Cool

Originally Posted by roadkill5o
that ticking sound from the exhaust is completely normal, all cars do it...that period around 2-2500rpms that u say flatlines i cant really figure out...all i can say is dont stop ur tune up just because u fixed one problem, id strongly reccomend u change the timing belts and clean your MAF...be careful cleaning it though, many people damage it completely when cleaning it, just be gentle and get some MAF cleaner
Hey there the MAF sensor was cleaned already using maf cleaner yesterday . That is why i am thiking is the exaust overheating causing unusual amount of ticking sound after i run the car. Can the cat be clogged caues it was running on 4 cylinder before the tune up. ? thank you
Old 04-10-10, 02:55 AM
LS400JDM2
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
yeah man...ignition coils. They are not that expensive. You fan get aftermarket and they run just as good as OEM.
I have check the ignition coils seems like both sides are firing correctly now that I changed the spark plugs and sp wires the car idles perfectly and pulls hard until 2000 rpm in gear , out of gear i can get it to rev up to redline but after 2k it goes up slowly and quietly like it has no power. thank you

Quick Reply: Picked up a 92 SC400 and car has no power HELP