SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Out to Drop Tranny Pan and Shift Solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 03:34 PM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out to Drop Tranny Pan and Shift Solenoids

Wish me luck!!! Get back to you hopefully with good results, and pictures for a step by step instruction..
Old 04-12-10, 03:40 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck... Yup, come back with step by step pix that we may include this thread on the DIY thread
Old 04-12-10, 05:26 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

I need this DIY like yesterday! Those darn solenoids driving me crazy, i dont move my hand from the shifter anymore
Old 04-12-10, 07:56 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

I need em too haha hurry up!
Old 04-12-10, 10:09 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

What exactly is the problem you guys are having? My car threw a code for the lockup solenoid. I dropped my pan and change the solenoid only to have the light come back on. It turned out adjusting my TPS per the service manual resolved the issue. The solenoid I took out was fine.
Old 04-12-10, 10:24 PM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Alright Guys, Im back! Finished also. So here are some steps to replace the solenoids.

Could get kinda messy, so do what i did spread a couple old bed sheets under the car!!

1. Drain the tranny fluid from the transmission.(14mm)

2. After most if not all fluid is out plug the drain hold back up. Drain plug(14mm)

3. Start loosening up all the bolts around the transmission pan, there is 19 total.(10mm)

4. After all 19 bolt are off slowly try prying the pan off the transmission.(BE CAREFUL THERE WILL BE MORE FLUID IN PAN)

5. Doing so, you will notice that there is a fill/dipstick pipe going into the driverside of the pan dont worry, when you break the pan loose, that will break from the interlocking pipe which the dipstick goes thru..

6. Then you will see a flat object with an oval mouth looking thing that has a metal screen on the inside, that is your transmission filter. I bought mine from pepboys for 30 bucks included was a filter and the transmission pan gasket. Filter is held on by 3 (10mm bolts).

7. After breaking loose i cleaned both surfaces with a razor blade, and sprayed both with break cleaner to clean all the gunk left behind.

8. Now comes the solenoids.. The number 1 and 2 solenoid are held on by a metal clip which is held in by an 8mm bolt labeled #5. Be careful with the plastic clips where the plug is as they may be brittle. After un plugging 1 and 2 you can just slowly twist and play a little for it to come out.

9. Solenoids 3 and 4 are both held on by a 10mm bolt in between them, Remove bolt. Unplug, twist and remove.

10. If you have made it this far, you can surely put it back together..

11. Make sure all the solenoids have o-rings and they sit properly, plug back in, bolt up, some new fluid and filter and voila!!..

I unplugged batt just in case..

p.s. if the gasket is not sitting right add little dabs of sealant to make it stick as you bolt up.

Any questions feel free to pm me.. Hope this helps..
Old 04-13-10, 02:05 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

So did it fix your problem?

mine doesnt kick down to first gear.Shifts are all over the place,it starts in 3rd sometimes, untill i put it in first manualy but then when i get in second the tranny goes from first to third .Come on w58
Old 04-13-10, 06:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have any tranny problems - but still wanted to subscribe to this DIY in case I ever need it. Good work man

Jonny
Old 04-13-10, 08:35 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, tell us how differently the car behaved with a test drive.

Was your fluid really that dark brown, or is it just the way the camera took the picture?

Thanks for the descriptive info!

-=Photon=-
Old 04-13-10, 10:45 AM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
So did it fix your problem?

mine doesnt kick down to first gear.Shifts are all over the place,it starts in 3rd sometimes, untill i put it in first manualy but then when i get in second the tranny goes from first to third .Come on w58
So Far yes, no shifting issues, no o/d light flashing smooth driving so far.

Originally Posted by Dx3
I don't have any tranny problems - but still wanted to subscribe to this DIY in case I ever need it. Good work man

Jonny
Thanks, seems pretty easy but doing it with all hand tools, and racing against daylight made it pretty tough.

Originally Posted by Photon440
Yes, tell us how differently the car behaved with a test drive.

Was your fluid really that dark brown, or is it just the way the camera took the picture?

Thanks for the descriptive info!

-=Photon=-
Hope it helped, lets just say my tranny fluid looked more like used oil, and felt a little rough, im real happy i did it before tranny went out. i took a pic of the tranny fluid and will add it in.
Old 04-13-10, 10:48 AM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Old 04-13-10, 10:53 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats pretty nasty fluid you got there brother. Thanks for the write up..
Old 04-13-10, 11:53 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

You might need a couple more flushes... 3/4ths of the fluid is inside the torque converter. 8.8 total quarts. It only drains about 2 quarts from the transmission pan.

Good writeup. I'm sure this will help a lot of members.... Hope you don't ever delete those pictures from your photobucket. A lot of old DIY's have missing pictures as the link to the pictures are gone
Old 04-13-10, 12:16 PM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

not planning on deleting anytime soon.. and yes, i bought 8 quarts and i guess 2 more would be good.. Im plannning on doing it in 1000 mile increments.
Old 04-13-10, 01:46 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

dang i flushed my tranny hoping to get rid of this and changed the filter and added some seafoam and it works intermittently and then the light starts flashing again... could you actually see the see the filth on the solenoid?

Quick Reply: Out to Drop Tranny Pan and Shift Solenoids