SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Problems (and New work: RAM Air)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 12:53 PM
Connor651
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problems (and New work: RAM Air)

Good Day Gents,

Yesterday after making a slightly accelerated U-turn, I herd a hissing noise coming from the drivers side. "great, something else broke on this car...lol" I think to my self, after no panic i come to a stoplight and attempt to press the brakes. The pedal would not budge!!! using the hand break i get to the nearest Advance auto, open the hood and find that some vaccum line that i did not replace with the silicon hoses blew off. I plug it in and the brakes work. After pulling it off for inspection the damn thing shattered. replaced with new hoses and found the 92 sc400's came stock with a brake booster. Quite the scare, especially with my pregnant wife in the car!

After searching around a bit, and staring at my engine bay, I think i might throw a custom RAM air system in. Any ideas on moisture control? I am thinking about cutting the old box as well as the passenger high beam and putting a flange where the high beam housing was with a slight dip after the entrance with dripholes on the underside running to the MAF. or
Attached Thumbnails New Problems (and New work: RAM Air)-vacuum.jpg  
Old 04-16-10, 01:15 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Glad to hear you and the wife didn't get into an accident. Anyways, read up on the BFI intake mod, a lot of people swear by it and supposedly it's the best all around intake mod for the 400's. Just search for it and you'll get a thousand different DIY's. Good luck.
Old 04-19-10, 06:39 AM
Connor651
Driver School Candidate

I am almost done with it, once done ill take pics and post, although i couldnt delete the passenger highbeam and put induction into that (due to core and radiator in way) I dropped the intake toward the air dam, which gave me the lower air induction for the drop pipe.

Does anyone know anybody that sells a turbo manifold for the 1uzfe? Cant find one still!
Old 04-19-10, 08:16 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same hose pop off on me before.

I was leaving my then-girlfriends house all pissed off and hauling *** from through the neighborhood. By the time I got to my first stoplight, I was convinced that I had done something to kill my brakes.

Scary stuff.
Old 04-19-10, 08:24 AM
Connor651
Driver School Candidate

mongooseGA, your in VA? North or south? are you near DC? I have been looking every where to start a group, not so much a car club, just a group to hang with, help each other out with fixes.

What is causing the hose to blow off? i dont want this to happen again.
Old 04-19-10, 08:31 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally replaced mine after the 3rd time it popped off lol...

Everything forced induction is custom on the 1uzfe... closest thing to bolt on is getting the "fish" supercharger bracket for the vortech or procharger.
Old 04-19-10, 08:38 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Virginia Beach, so, pretty far south.

However, we do have a house in D.C. I've never been to it though, haha. I'll probably be in NoVA once or twice this summer for a few weekend trips.
Old 04-19-10, 10:27 AM
Connor651
Driver School Candidate

MongooseGA, hit me up if your ever in town.

RedPhoenix- I have seen quite a bit bolt up products for superchargers such as a bolt up supercharger manifold that works with some of the stock ford superchargers... i forgot the website, unfortunately. If I find it again i will post it for others. But I had a Vortec on my 427RR. The damn thing is tooooo needy. Superchargers cause excessive heat (unless watercooled) even with the heat extraction. they also cause strain on your engine due to it being belt driven. Turbocharging is the way i want to go. I have talked to 100's of "performance shops" or websites to find if anything comes near the turbo manifold for this car... Everything else with a turbo is fairly interchangeable with other cars... I just need the manifold. I have people offering to machine a turbo manifold or retrofit one for me.... for a price... not a low one. With that being said, i am specifically looking for a turbocharging system for the 1uz-fe. It will most likely be handmade by me, but if anyone can find a turbo manifold post it on this site and please tell me!

But thanks alot for the info!

Last edited by Connor651; 04-19-10 at 10:29 AM. Reason: forgot to be kind...