SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need veteran swap opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 09:33 AM
Sciller
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need veteran swap opinions!

Im thinking about doing the obvious 2jz swap on my 92 300 auto...I am a noob and want to see if anyone that has already done the swap and whether to get an aristo front clip and take the motor from that OR get just the motor w/ecu and harness OORR take my ge motor out of the lexus and strip and rebuild it with a turbo kit add on to avoid having to rewire the JDM motor.....any help with anything would help but I need some direction guys!

Last edited by Sciller; 04-20-10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-20-10, 09:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What are your power goals and budget should be the first question.
Old 04-20-10, 09:53 AM
xx69xx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
What are your power goals and budget should be the first question.
what he said.
Old 04-20-10, 11:20 AM
Sciller
Driver

I'm going to be working with around $10000 when all is said and done...as for power goals I'm not to sure with what I can create with the funds available...this project can take as long as I want as I'm getting a truck and will have the time to let it sit disassembled
Old 04-20-10, 01:33 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

with $10k id say if you can do the work yourself go for a 6speed gte swap.
Old 04-20-10, 02:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by pminimi
Im thinking about doing the obvious 2jz swap on my 92 300 auto...I am a noob and want to see if anyone that has already done the swap and whether to get an aristo front clip and take the motor from that OR get just the motor w/ecu and harness OORR take my ge motor out of the lexus and strip and rebuild it with a turbo kit add on to avoid having to rewire the JDM motor.....any help with anything would help but I need some direction guys!
you have listed every possible combination of things you can do.
you can pretty much do them all with a 6speed for 10K. front clip is not necessary really.
at the end of the day they all make great power.
I don't think anyone can tell you which one you want, get a 12 pack and drink until one of them sounds better than the rest and proceed.. the next day of course.
Old 04-20-10, 02:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I say you go na-t with aem and v160, are you doing your own labor?
Old 04-20-10, 02:24 PM
Sciller
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you have listed every possible combination of things you can do.
you can pretty much do them all with a 6speed for 10K. front clip is not necessary really.
at the end of the day they all make great power.
I don't think anyone can tell you which one you want, get a 12 pack and drink until one of them sounds better than the rest and proceed.. the next day of course.
Yea I like that idea! and my friend and I am going to be doing the work in the garage....but I guess what Im asking is it an easier route to turbo the ge so I dont have to worry about wiring the JDM to the harness......I feel like thats the route I am going to end up going but I wanted to see what you guys thought....either way Im deff going to do the 6....should I do that right out the gate or can I wait for more money!?

Last edited by Sciller; 04-20-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 02:51 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

send me your car and 10k and ill return you your sc with a 6spd 2jzgte with a single at 700-800 hp. pm me if you need help too and if you got some questions.

Last edited by Cleanshots; 04-20-10 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by pminimi
Yea I like that idea! and my friend and I am going to be doing the work in the garage....but I guess what Im asking is it an easier route to turbo the ge so I dont have to worry about wiring the JDM to the harness......I feel like thats the route I am going to end up going but I wanted to see what you guys thought....either way Im deff going to do the 6....should I do that right out the gate or can I wait for more money!?
like cherp suggested, the na-t route is very fun and powerful. just start out with good engine management or else its a constant battle with your tune.

all of them require some degree of wiring.
if you go na-t with a ge harness, you have to wire a map sensor and an Iat (no biggie).
lets say later on you want to go distributorless (not necessary but awesome!), so you wire up new cam and crank sensors, and run wires for your new ignitor and a coil on plug setup.

guess what? you just did all the same wiring for running a GTE on a ge harness. in the end, its all the same, but na-t you can do it in steps (while ugly the distributor actually works quite well and actually fires sequentially with an aem instead of wasted spark).

If you want to go single and standalone, there is no point in buying a gte, having to replace every seal and maintanence part on it, remove the twin turbos, and have to do all the wiring up front. might as well slap a headgasket on your na-t and spend the extra money on a front facing intake manifold if you want the "gte" look.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-20-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:50 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

GTE, V160, RPS 6 puck, fuel lab pump or an extra in-tank denso, id 1000's, AEM v2, pin a new harness- if anything, for cleanliness sake (won't cost you that much, really) although the Jspec one isn't difficult to make fit. If you're going for a drag setup- go auto through SP...or try out one of the new Titan Auto trannies

Last edited by hyjaxx; 04-20-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 06:39 PM
Sciller
Driver

See thats how much of a noob I am to this! I will be back with more questions in ten....im going to start ripping out my motor! cherplex: im doing my own labor...cleanshots: you might end up regretting the whole "pm me with questions" part! Thanks for the input guys...thats basically what I needed....going single with my ge sounds the way to go! how hard is the auto to 6 speed going to be?? never done that before...or read about it yet :/

Last edited by Sciller; 04-20-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 08:05 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto to 6spd is a project and to do with with NEW OEM parts at cost...is about $11k

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/aut...wap/index.html

You need to figure out if you actually need the V160.
Old 04-20-10, 08:07 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Auto to 6 will be easy for the most part. The NA-T builds are great- I have one but realize that if you want to make serious HP it's going to cost you boatloads more than just doing a GTE. And the GTE's are much cleaner looking in the end.
As far as tranny options go- here's a rundown:
Here're your choices from lowest price to highest price
~~~W58- first time you miss a shift in a 500hp car you're gonna need a new tranny.
~~~R154- $1200=1200hp marlin crawler tranny. People have gotten lucky but I say no stock 154 on over 600hp.
~~~Built Auto- Do your research and have a local tranny shop build an auto to your specs. It's pretty cheap and very effective.
~~~Th350- th400's weaker, malnourished little brother. LOL
~~~Boostlogic's built auto- NA holds like 600-700. TT holds more- lots of the better track boys are running the tt. Some people have had a bunch of great seasons with these- other people had issues. BL has since put out a how-to sheet so that the driver won't do things improperly and break it. Both require a core.
~~~TH400- Automatic 3sp...up to 1700hp depending on who's building it. I have this- it kicks like a mule and chirps 2nd all the time. Go with Sound Performance over the other companies so you won't have fitment issues and it won't cost you a fortune.
~~~V160- it'll hold more than you can throw at it. Needs a $5k Tilton clutch. If you think you aren't going to push enough HP to need a Tilton then save your $ and buy a 154 because you don't NEED a v160. It's only above the TH400 if you include the Tilton.
~~~4L80e- Auto w/overdrive...holds 1600hp depending on who's building it.
~~~Titan just tossed a built auto on the market to compete with BL's and it's supposedly much better...and mucho backordered

Last edited by hyjaxx; 04-20-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 08:32 PM
Sciller
Driver

so i guess its the r154 tranny ftw!....how hard is the set up to achieve in an na-t set up?

Last edited by Sciller; 04-20-10 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Need veteran swap opinions!