SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

S to JZ Chassis: Who? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 12:02 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S to JZ Chassis: Who? Why?

In the short time I have been on CL I've found alot of people who have switched from a S-Chassis to a JZ chassis. Im interested in seeing who exactly and the reasons for the switch. Even if you own both or did in the past.

Pictures of both would be especially cool to see the styling/taste.

I will post later after the ball has started to roll.
Old 04-21-10, 12:22 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll play.

after my 3rd honda, i decided to finally go nissan and get some slideways action. i started with a coupe which i built pretty nicely on a budget. it started as a two tone red/black car, missing corner lights, lop ride height, and fenders and body in terrible condition. i fixed her as best i could and stanced her properly and daily drifted the car like this for almost a year

then i got bored with the standard gold/polished lip and did something i liked a lot.

I then, for no other reason than lack of funds and tough times in life, had to switch to the most lop-*** car I've ever owned, the black s13 hatch. all in all, the KAde was pretty strong, and I had some fun in it with absolutely nothing but a set of sportmaxes i got for cheap, and a welded diff.

next I got my 5 speed swapped sc300, and drove it from Seattle, down here to San Diego to stay with my pops. and last week, I was forced to sell her as well. hopefully I'll still be around once i get another though. no doubt it will have to be an auto though..

so much potential... i miss her so much already.

it all depends on what deal comes my way. I've always wanted to build an NB miata, and theres one on my radar. if that doesnt work out, I'm sure i'll be right back into the lexus game. once you go Lux, it's hard to go back to the cheaper tuner chassis' (integras, s13s), even though they were my roots.
Old 04-21-10, 12:23 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Well to get it rolling:

The day I saw a 95 240sx I wanted one. I was 11 years old. I had always loved the SC but it was so expensive I didn't forsee getting one for a LOOONG time.

The cars were so similar in appearance. The 240 was like a lightweight model of the SC and the SC was more of a luxo comfy version.

When I finally started building my 240 the way I wanted it I realized I was building an SC. Leather seats, turbo inline 6 etc.

My daily driver 96 240sx was stolen so I decided it was time to buy my SC. I was really blessed to find a low mileage 5-speed which was one of my "realistic" dream cars.

I still own both and it is too early to say which I prefer since I have not started modifying my SC really (at least power wise).

But so far (my opinion of course):

Power:
Stock: SC
Comfort: SC
Handling: 240
Style: SC
Practicality: 240
Reliability: 240
Ease of repair: 240
Aftermarket: 240
Power options: 240
Unwanted attention: SC
Carrying Capacity: 240
Fuel Economy: Meh toss up?
Safety: SC
Old 04-21-10, 12:31 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I too was a two time honda, one time s13, and now a sC300 man.

since the end of my honda run in 03 I wanted and SC with a supra swap but in those days I had less mechanical knowledge and experience and the prices were way out of range. An increase in salary and decrease in prices for swaps and parts and the abundance of how to information led me to finally get one in summer of 07.

this car gives me no regrets unlike the last tuner cars Ive had, however now that im a full time student its a bit tough owning one of these and not having the money to push beyond my crappy 5 speed and the 500whp envelope.

Eventually this car will be driving like new with new paint and interior.
Old 04-21-10, 12:38 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

here is a couple pics not pretty but ok
Attached Thumbnails S to JZ Chassis: Who? Why?-dsc00437.jpg   S to JZ Chassis: Who? Why?-dsc00440.jpg  
Old 04-21-10, 02:51 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wish I had some pics of my old s13's...but can say that I am planning on building another soon once my SC is where I want it.
Old 04-21-10, 03:14 PM
Flick2JZ
Driver

between me and my girlfriend we have been in the 240 scene for 8-10 years now. my girlfriend was building a 240sx coupe and was driving a s13 hatch as a daily. well she got tired of the hatch (never like hatchs much) and she got a 96 SC300. she loves the car, but has been highly thinking of getting a s13 coupe or a S14 as a daily, but i think she knows it won't compare to a SC. So i'm sure with due time the sc will have a little done to it.

heres some pics.

the 240sx

The SC300

Old 04-21-10, 04:50 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice swap in there if i may add
Old 04-21-10, 05:24 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my old drifter right after i sold it. It used to look sick with 18 c-5's

I wish i had a pic of it when it was in its glory.

this was whats left of it after i sold it. It had one piece front end that opened up backwards, with fenders and bumper.

Old 04-21-10, 05:30 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

My first car was a 5speed 91 240sx hatch. It was bone stock, primered, and missing most of it's interior. My brother got it in a trade of some aftermarket Subaru wrx internals. I saved up and bought it from him. I was 17.

The KA eventually blew after 9 months of beating on it. So I saved up and installed plenty of suspension, LSD, and swapped an sr20det. I did all the work myself in my garage by just SEARCHING on forums.

After 1 1/2 years I spun a bearing and parked it up for a while. I then bought my 1st SC. This was a car I've always hoped to own since I was like 11 or 12. I used to see it in the car and driver or motortrend new car guide. It was a 97 SC300 auto.

I bought it as a daily so I can build an sr20 on the side. Eventually my parents didn't want me to have 2 cars and I started liking the SC more and more. So I sold it with the blown SR.

Then I crashed the 97 and the insurance totalled it. I wasn't at fault though. I was looking for a 5speed SC. A friend of mine told me about a RHD 93 SC300 that has a 5spd, stock 1jz, and had all the 97+ body parts. He gave a crazy deal so I jumped on it right away.

It's funny how it almost has the same color scheme as my first car lol.
Overall the S chassis is much cheaper and easier to mod. I loved doing suspension work on it. So easy. The SC is pretty easy when doing suspension as well but the 240sx is much cheaper. The SC has been more reliable and much more comfortable while the 240sx is more light and sporty.

Once I'm financially stable I'll get an s13 coupe and go with a 1jz or 2jz.

Last edited by SH_JZZ30; 04-21-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 05:45 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

I'm Still a Nissan Fan 100% and still own 1 of the 3 1/2 I've had.
SC was always for me a pretty Cool car and Something below the radar.When You own a Supra i swear to god...to some,..you Are GOD.
Go to the beach with it and try to get Girls,...you'll wind up with a Whole ****load of Guys around You!Its the damn Truth.Its a little ridiculous.
So I had my fund w/ the Supra and wouldn't mind getting another one day...but The Dream has been and gone.

the S chassis is Easy as hell to work (know like the back of my Hand now) on and parts GALORE and are Super Cheap.
Decided to try something new and put a little build on my Current SC400.
My 1st Nissan Build:
After a few months:

same car but,Went to:

Stable mate:

A semi Build I gave up on:

to the 2yrs build:

To what Mine will prob Look like (minus the Bumper) w/ Ganador's (I'm a Ganador ***** now):

180sx is by far my Fav car and don't ask me why.It in its Kouki Stage is perfect, if the Suspension is there and some power as well.
Old 04-21-10, 06:36 PM
Rookie

At 17 I bought my first car which was a 1991 Nissan Silvia/sileighty K's. I really liked this car because you can go sideways as you want and the aftermarket parts are more aff
ordable than the toyota/lexus one. But I sold it before winter 08-09 and went to a Toyota Soarer 1992 on spring 09. The soarer is way more comfortable and I will keep it as long as I can but maybe when the cash will be there I'll buy another silvia..

Some pictures...

My friend's 240sx at the right

and now my Soarer

Last edited by 405; 04-21-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 07:13 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i never owned, but would love to have a 95-96 with an SR20DET to beat the tar out of...
Old 04-21-10, 07:42 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I cant say too much to add to this thread, but I have always liked the 240, regardless of years. The early 90 IMO were the best looking, but after that.. dont know a thing about them. Thanks for sharing the pictures.. GL with your build.. I am subscribed.
Old 04-21-10, 08:06 PM
saru
Driver

Had a S14 b, no photos of that for some reason. Moved on to my 89 Hatch, still own and love. I got the SC to build another drift car but when I was no longer able to drive the sileighty (no more smog hookups and cops are nuts) I decided to sell the SC but just couldn't bring my self to do it. Now I'm building it VIP inspired since I can't have two worthless cars. Need something to drive. But don't like rolling stock!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: S to JZ Chassis: Who? Why?