SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

new to sc community, introducing myself :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 05:00 PM
sonnymfp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to sc community, introducing myself :)

Hello, my name is Sonny. I'm 21 and I live in California. This is how I came to be a fellow sc owner...

After doing hours and hours of research as to which used cars are the best in my price range, I came across the sc400/300. Although I had always liked these cars, I didn't think to look for that in my price range. I had been looking at 240s, 95+ 5 spd maximas, prelude sh, pontiac grand prix gtp, es300s, and a couple others. After a few more hours of sc research, I was decided. I wouldnt rule out other cars for good deals, but my heart was set on a sc400 or 5spd sc300...

I was just waiting for my truck to finally sell...
when it sold, the hunt was on.

Each day I would have my list of cars and info (at least 6 per day) damn craigslist flakes! over 1000 miles in 3 days driven and I never even got to look at the cars I had primarily wanted to see in that area! Nevertheless I saw some good and bad cars...
While on the hunt, my dad spotted a white 1992 sc400 in a parking lot. He suggested I go into the store and ask the owner if he wanted to sell it. So I did and he hasn't tried to sell it, but would since he needs a 4 door for his growing family. He immediately gave me the keys for a test drive. The body had maybe 2 small dings you had to search for, the paint was in great condition, the interior, aside from stained carpets, 1 rip on driving seat, and being absolutely filthy, was in great condition. Drove great and most things worked. (aside from trunk struts, some gauge lights, climate control light, and clouded + condensation in headlights) He also had just put in a new battery and radiator. oh and it had 2 10's and an amp in the trunk

So we told him we would think about it and looked at a few other sc's over the next couple days. All of them were newer and had less miles, but had worse interior, paint, and dings. A couple drove a little worse as well. Finally went back and got the white sc400 we had spotted...
My dad and I have already changed the spark plugs, serpentine belt, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, sanded the headlights and they look brand new! except the driver side has condensation, but we'll deal with that later..
I'm about to get new tires within a month... it still needs the tranny fluid flushed, timing belt, and the engine fan has a small leak.

Now I can't stop thinking and reading more about the car... I'm addicted. I drive it just to drive. When I'm home, I look out the window at it at least once an hour. Its been about a month and I think I have a problem...
Attached Thumbnails new to sc community, introducing myself :)-img_0371.jpg   new to sc community, introducing myself :)-img_0373.jpg   new to sc community, introducing myself :)-photo-5-.jpg  

Last edited by sonnymfp; 04-28-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 05:06 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

Hey I think I just saw you today, I was in my black SC400 Belmont shores, Long beach area right?
Old 04-28-10, 05:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

glad you were able to find a car after such a long search
Old 04-28-10, 05:09 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

Nice SC by the way, very clean for a 92.
Old 04-28-10, 05:10 PM
sonnymfp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheBosSC4
Hey I think I just saw you today, I was in my black SC400 Belmont shores, Long beach area right?
na that wasnt me lol I live in SF bay area and havent left the house yet today
Old 04-28-10, 05:22 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on the buy looks clean
Old 04-28-10, 05:34 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonnymfp
Now I can't stop thinking and reading more about the car... I'm addicted. I drive it just to drive. When I'm home, I look out the window at it at least once an hour. Its been about a month and I think I have a problem...
This is how we know you are a true SC enthusiast. Keep treating her well and she will return the favor for many years to come. Welcome to the club and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-28-10, 06:14 PM
sonnymfp
Driver School Candidate

thank you all for the comments, i plan on keepin her for a while
Old 04-28-10, 06:21 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
This is how we know you are a true SC enthusiast. Keep treating her well and she will return the favor for many years to come. Welcome to the club and enjoy the ride.
lol hes right everyone else is just wierd....we are the normal ones lol....im gonna go look at my car now....
Old 04-28-10, 07:00 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on the pickup.. Looks so much like mine.. I am so glad you have decided to some maintenance on it, before modding. Most people on here are the other way around. Welcome to the club, and let the modding begin.

How much did you end up paying for it, if you dont mind me asking?

Lets see some pictures on the inside.
Old 04-28-10, 08:06 PM
sonnymfp
Driver School Candidate

i paid 3700... not an amazing deal or anything, but it was 500-1000 cheaper than all the other sc's within driving distance that i went and looked at. Also it needed less work and $$, but has higher mileage

interior pics will have to come when its not cloudy and rainy, probably a couple days.
i've cleaned up a lot of the leather, but the carpets are stained horribly lol
damn kids... there were stickers on the windows and stuff it was bad... hours and hours spent in there and a couple more to go!
then again its never ending...
Old 04-28-10, 08:23 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome to the club.

Good find. Paint looks great and the headlamps polished up nicely

One word of advice, when you flush the transmission fluid, use the Toyota Type T-IV and only the T-IV, NOT Dexron:http://www.planetsoarer.com/autotrans/autotrans.htm
Old 04-28-10, 08:30 PM
the3rd
Driver

Super clean for a 92
Old 04-28-10, 08:46 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Beautiful SC! I like that you searched around for a while, I bought the first sc400 I came across for $4,500 1993. I can relate to looking out the window every time you pass by. Treat her right and the miles become negligible.

Welcome to the family. Remember to use the search function before posting questions man!
Old 04-28-10, 09:21 PM
sonnymfp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
One word of advice, when you flush the transmission fluid, use the Toyota Type T-IV and only the T-IV, NOT Dexron:http://www.planetsoarer.com/autotrans/autotrans.htm
Hey thanks for the advice! Will do. Already took down the info so I can order the fluid from toyota!

Quick Reply: new to sc community, introducing myself :)