$$$$ are 97-00 sc4 are hard to pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 03:40 PM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$$$ are 97-00 sc4 are hard to pass smog

Hello everyone

Before on my other thread that I started, a person said that 97-00 sc4 are hard to pass smong in Cali, so I wanted to know if this was true?..

P.S I'm trying to pick up a 98-00 SC4 and I want to slap some mods just.. exhaust, headers and intake..nothing too crazy what do you guys think?? in and ideas alway....

"Originally Posted by *********
IF you are indeed in California DO NOT BUY A 97+ SC400. You can't do anything to the car performance wise without it throwing a CEL and making you fail smog"

what is a CEL???
Old 04-30-10, 03:51 PM
cino21
Pole Position

cel is a check engine light.. you can do a catback system.. but BASICALLY CALIFORNIA IS VERY STRICT ON EMISSIONS.. so you cannot mess with the cats, the most you can prob get away with performance wise..

cat back exhaust system
rear end swap
maybe headers with hiflow cats... would be custom work
intake
BASICALLY BASIC BOLT ONS...
you might be able to supercharge it too.. b/c you're not really messing with exhaust gases like a turbo would, its all belt driven soooo THERE YOU GO lol
Old 04-30-10, 03:54 PM
cino21
Pole Position

if they do not do visual testing you could install catless headers and you would have to trick the 02's and ecu into thinking it's still doing its job cleaning the exhaust for the blah blah environment
Old 04-30-10, 06:03 PM
Blurr
Driver

That wont work in Cali. Superchargers? I doubt they will pass either unless they are carb certified/exempt. Visual testing is always done. We are just basically screwed.
Old 04-30-10, 06:23 PM
cino21
Pole Position

lol.. well yes i meant carb approved...like a vortech blower... i would assume their products are carb approved
Old 04-30-10, 06:30 PM
bosshognit
Driver School Candidate

ok but what about BASICALLY BASIC BOLT ON's that my question...not superchargers or anything like that etc.. just BASICALLY BASIC BOLT ON's.. will i have a problem with that?
Old 04-30-10, 06:39 PM
cino21
Pole Position

no as long as everything is carb approved... the company will advertise its carb approved and i believe it'll have a little "carb approved" sticker...

i know for sure you can find a carb approved cat back exhaust system and intake
Old 04-30-10, 08:08 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

as long as you have the carb sticker, the sticker have serial number printed on it.
Old 04-30-10, 09:15 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cino21
cel is a check engine light.. you can do a catback system.. but BASICALLY CALIFORNIA IS VERY STRICT ON EMISSIONS.. so you cannot mess with the cats, the most you can prob get away with performance wise..

cat back exhaust system
rear end swap
maybe headers with hiflow cats... would be custom work
intake
BASICALLY BASIC BOLT ONS...
you might be able to supercharge it too.. b/c you're not really messing with exhaust gases like a turbo would, its all belt driven soooo THERE YOU GO lol
if they do not do visual testing you could install catless headers and you would have to trick the 02's and ecu into thinking it's still doing its job cleaning the exhaust for the blah blah environment
lol.. well yes i meant carb approved...like a vortech blower... i would assume their products are carb approved
no as long as everything is carb approved... the company will advertise its carb approved and i believe it'll have a little "carb approved" sticker...

i know for sure you can find a carb approved cat back exhaust system and intake
Man, you need to stop the lies and the guessing

You can do most bolt on mods, but no FI for sure without a hook up
Old 04-30-10, 10:35 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1.

There are no carb approved catbacks as there is no point in having them be carb approved as emissions are not affected. At most, they just have to fall under the 95db limit.

If you start getting into the headers/cats, again there are no carb approved products. The headers that are available for the V8 are not carb approved, but once installed, they can't be seen anyways. Sniffer-wise, they may or may not pass the test depending on the use of high flow cats.

After installation of my EMF headers with Magnaflow high flow cats (obd2 and carb compliant) my results did have a noticeable rise but were still passing.

There are no intakes carb approved for the VVTI engine in the SC400. They do have a K&N intake for the GS400 that is approved, but again, that's for the GS400 vehicle.

And secondly, no FI at all. Even if the company advertises their superchargers/turbochargers as Carb compliant, that just means they are for certain vehicles. You can't just take any model line supercharger and install it and expect to be carb compliant. The Carb compliancy are vehicle specific.
Old 05-01-10, 01:04 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

wow, Cali must be very different in real life from the movies where you see non-stop modded cars.
Old 05-01-10, 08:21 AM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by Brendon
wow, Cali must be very different in real life from the movies where you see non-stop modded cars.
Haha! We mod just like everyone else. 1JZ swaps, piggyback ECUs, etc.. It is just more stealthy now. Honda's excluded of course. Smogging is required every few years. So we get a few years without being hassled.
Old 05-01-10, 08:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I used to want to move to California, but you guys seem to have some serious car laws. Out here in Oklahoma, we can do basically anything to our cars and they quit doing emissions as well. Do police really pop your hoods and look for mods out in California?
Old 05-01-10, 10:34 AM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I used to want to move to California, but you guys seem to have some serious car laws. Out here in Oklahoma, we can do basically anything to our cars and they quit doing emissions as well. Do police really pop your hoods and look for mods out in California?
Yeah,they will....most dont even know what to look for or they wont bother. A lot of cops are enthusiasts as well... As for me, I keep my engine bay dirty and all my parts black so it looks factory. Chrome is a dead giveaway for aftermarket parts. IMO I would recommend you come out to visit...you might be suprised.
Old 05-01-10, 11:13 AM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Man, you need to stop the lies and the guessing

You can do most bolt on mods, but no FI for sure without a hook up
It's not guessing and certainly not lying.. I lived in cali my whole life till 2005 when I moved to tx and I bought my greddy catback and aem intake which had a carb sticker approved on the product from the company... As far as FI.. I was just giving a suggestion, I assumed being that a supercharger is belt driven would be ok emissions wise.. But ehh I'm no where near a tech and I don't pretend to be.. He was asking for options...

Based on other cars.. The basic bolt ons are avail.. I am not certain everything such as CAI are avail for the SC bc to be honest... These bolt ons like CAI is more of an eye candy in the engine bay bc it's not gonna do much performance wise.. True power comes from FI, which is the route I already chose for myself when I first thought about getting an SC.. Especially being how heavy these cars are