SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

car acceleration lag, smell issue....after installing steering wheel/reseting ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 07:45 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default car acceleration lag, smell issue, ....after reseting ECU, cleaned maf now no startin

I have a 93 sc300 manual

So I noticed that immediately, after I installed my steering wheel my car has been acting up mechanically. I KNOW it isnt the steering wheel, I think it has something to do with the ecu being resetted. I unplugged my battery to install the steering wheel. After plugging the battery back on the car felt way more responsive. I knew it had to relearn my driving style. When the car was first started there was a burning smell but I don't know from what. There was no smoke.

On the first drive car felt quicker. Then my revving became wierd. Rpms would drop out of no where. Now on 1st and sceond gear the car revs really high to about 5000 rpms, but the car is very slow to respond. The car seems like there is no power at all. It started doing this on my way back from toyotafest. The car wasnt driven for 2 weeks, today was the first time.

What is wrong? Do I need to relearn the ecu again, or is it the MAF or something? Has anyone had this problem? The car was running fine before unplugging the battery and resetting the ecu.

Last edited by soulific; 05-10-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 10:33 PM
soulific
Advanced

update... I tried cleaning the maf sensor. Took it out and sprayed it with maf cleaner. Waiting about 10 mins for the thing to dry. After that I reconnected everything and tried starting the car. I also sprayed the plug contacts around the engine since the spray specified it was for electric contacts also. I sprayed the maf plug on male and female side, and sprayed the plug going to the distributor.

After that and unplugged the battery for a half hour and plugged it back. Now the car wont start. It turns then shuts off. And there is a smell of fuel. I tried unplugging the maf and starting but same thing. So it isnt the maf, since unplugging it the car would start. So Im thinking its spark or something now?

Can spark be the reason why it was lagging from what I described before?

what you guys think now? Im trying to get this sorted so i can drive it at least so I dont have to call a tow.

Last edited by soulific; 05-08-10 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 11:31 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the plugs, take one out to check. The problems you're having sound like an issue with the ECU, is there anyone local that you can swap ecu's with to see if it fixes the issue?
Old 05-09-10, 02:57 AM
soulific
Advanced

I did more research online and narrowed it down. I need opinions.

- My clutch coul of been bad the whole time and was just slipping. This explain the high rpms with no speed/pick up, and also a strange smell. But messing with the MAF messed something else up causing the car not to start when the maf wasnt the problem.

- Another scenario, My maf cant be really damaged caused the car should be able to start with out it, if it is unplugged it should start in limp mode. But it doesnt start at all even if I unplug it. So its not the maf and something else

- spark plugs or something related

- something wrong in fuel, weather fuel pump, filter, injector

where else am i missing?

I really dont wanna pay $$$ to have it towed. I dont have time for this right now. fml
Old 05-09-10, 04:46 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

guessing that you are using a pod filter, which coats the maf / karman vortex go back to the standard air paper cotton filter. (pod filter dyno proven to lose power).

"sprayed the plug going to the distributor" clean the plug with metho / white spirits to evaporate what ever is on it.

check all the spark plug leads resistance with a multimeter

check the spark plugs for fuel fouling the spark plug. if so its spark related
Old 05-09-10, 09:21 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USE COMPRESSED AIR TO CLEAN THE MAF

clean or drain all the fluids in the plug gallies
Old 05-09-10, 10:38 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got a 93 5spd too. when i sprayed my maf sensor with mass airflow sensor apporved cleaner it ended up destroying it and would cause my car to stall at idle. unplugging it never helped. had to buy a new one. try disconnecting the battery again. what you are discribing sounds like when my clutch went out too. funny burning smell, rpms go up but not speed. if you can put the car in 3rd or 4th gear and it doesnt stall its your clutch thats bad.
Old 05-09-10, 12:22 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

The MAF cleaner you guys are buying at the store is meant for HOTWIRE maf sensors ONLY. 92-95 SC's use karman vortex maf sensors while 96+ use hotwire maf sensors.

If you want to clean yours, use compressed air or a special electrical parts cleaner from an electronics store.
Old 05-09-10, 01:10 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soulific

After that and unplugged the battery for a half hour and plugged it back. Now the car wont start. It turns then shuts off. And there is a smell of fuel. I tried unplugging the maf and starting but same thing. So it isnt the maf, since unplugging it the car would start.
How do you know if it's not a MAF? You think that cleaning will help and restore your sensor? Cleaning MAY work. The best way to check if it's maf, is to actually swap the sensor with somebody with working one, and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 05-09-10, 01:46 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by sc-driver
The MAF cleaner you guys are buying at the store is meant for HOTWIRE maf sensors ONLY. 92-95 SC's use karman vortex maf sensors while 96+ use hotwire maf sensors.

If you want to clean yours, use compressed air or a special electrical parts cleaner from an electronics store.
what electrical parts cleaner? so do you thin cleaner it with crc maf cleaner messed it up completely? Or do you think cleaning it with something else will do the trick?

Can I clean it with alcohol on a swab?

Im seriously thinking now that it was my clutch the whole time. And now my maf it just F'ed up.

Does anyone really know if our cars can run with the maf unplugged? Cause mine wont start even with it unplugged.

I found this thread that may clarify that my MAF is dead but it didnt answer everything I need to know.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-to-clean.html

Last edited by soulific; 05-09-10 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-10, 01:55 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Something like this should help:
http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,348.html

See I don't know how the 92-95 SC's with karman vortex mafs should act but if I disconnect my maf sensor, the car will start and immediately shut off.
Old 05-09-10, 03:03 PM
soulific
Advanced

would cleaning it even help now, since it should be damaged already right?

Im trying to find someone with a maf I can try. My bro has a 93 ls400. Ebay listed the maf sensors as interchangable between the gs300 sc300/400 and the ls400. Is this true.

Can I test it with the maf sensor off my brothers ls400?
Old 05-09-10, 07:54 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up red phoniex thread he ran with out the maf for awhile thats how i found out aboutt he compressed air i hope that helps you
Old 05-10-10, 12:46 PM
soulific
Advanced

can a sc400 maf work on my sc300? Good enough to get a clean start, and smooth enough idle with no smoke?
Old 05-10-10, 02:41 PM
UT93sc300
Driver School Candidate

You killed your vertex air flow meter (doesn't use maf) with the cleaner. I did the same thing and bought another one from a junk yard and it started up fine.

Quick Reply: car acceleration lag, smell issue....after installing steering wheel/reseting ECU