W58 Swappage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 05:26 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I will have a look. Mine is a MKIV.
Oh, if you have a MKIV trans then you are good to go with no adapter necessary. Its VSS hooks right up to the SC harness.
Old 09-15-10, 05:30 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch is definitely not too stiff. If oem is softer it would be too soft imo. It works great for me and I use mine daily. In fact until this thread it never occurred to me it may not be the way it was supposed to be.
Old 09-15-10, 05:36 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gunner1
thanks! just what i wanted to hear. i was worried about the clutch being too stiff....i just wanted to read a review of someone who also had that fear experience the clutch. that makes me feel better.
i'm cool with a stiffer clutch, i just dont want to kill my left leg.

i had 2nd thoughts of that howe bearing after reading about people having issues with it...but it was nice to go back to the quantum-auto site to see that they've replaced that piece of the kit.

i would totally buy that basic steel flywheel kit.
i need to first work on getting the car first. lol.
Seems like you are in the same situation I was about 5-6 months ago. I found out about the swap from Matt and then decided to get an SC400. I had always wanted one, but the only auto factor turned me off. As for the stiffness, it isn't bad at all. My last car was a 2.slow Jetta (don't ask how that happened), and it had a good clutch feel. The oem W58 clutch with the hydraulic throwout bearing was waaaay too soft. After putting in the quantum clutch it was more like the stiffness of my Jetta. I sit with the pedal down at lights a lot without even noticing. So, it must not be that stiff. I wish I had not been penny-pinching and just gone with it in the first place, and I wish the Quarter Master throwout unit had been a known alternative before. I'll get one eventually, though. Also, the clutch is so pretty.
Old 09-15-10, 05:39 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

The clutch is definitely not too stiff. If oem is softer it would be too soft imo. It works great for me and I use mine daily. In fact until this thread it never occurred to me it may not be the way it was supposed to be.
Agreed. I actually hated how soft the oem was.
Old 09-15-10, 05:41 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh my lord the stock exedy that bartledoo had was ridiculous. It was so light you could not feel clutch engagement really. I wouldnt of been sure the clutch was working properly had the clutch not sprung back like it should of lol.
Old 09-15-10, 06:13 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Oh my lord the stock exedy that bartledoo had was ridiculous. It was so light you could not feel clutch engagement really. I wouldnt of been sure the clutch was working properly had the clutch not sprung back like it should of lol.
Yea, I remember I said about a hundred times during my first drive with Matt, "but I can't feel the engagement", when he told me to stop riding the clutch lol. I am definitely not a clutch rider either. At least I gained some foot sensitivity by getting used to it...kind of. I think it truly has a lot to do with the mechanical advantage the Howe bearing produces, though.

You would think a stiffer clutch with a more advanced friction surface would have a more rough engagement than oem, but due to the fact that I can actually feel the engagement now, it is actually much smoother.

^PS---It's Mr. Doo to you.
Old 09-16-10, 07:49 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very cool write-up!
wouldn't it be funny if the 400's became more desirable over the 300's b/c of this swap?
Is is supercharger time, now?
is ScottURnot the only forum member with a manual supercharged 400?
Old 09-16-10, 08:39 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I'll eventually shove some air down her throat.
Old 09-16-10, 02:20 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 96SC4
very cool write-up!
wouldn't it be funny if the 400's became more desirable over the 300's b/c of this swap?
Is is supercharger time, now?
is ScottURnot the only forum member with a manual supercharged 400?
After I get everything sorted out, the headers installed, and 3.26 ring and pinion put in the LSD, the M112 is going in. Headers will go in next week.
Old 09-16-10, 02:36 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Oh, if you have a MKIV trans then you are good to go with no adapter necessary. Its VSS hooks right up to the SC harness.
Yea, I have it hooked up and working, I would just like to get it accurate. It is the gear driven speed sensor and I think I will have to put in a speedometer conversion box. I think I have heard it called a yellow box or something like that. I put something similar in my LX 450 when I went to 4.88 gears and 35" tires. Anyone know what I need?