SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Official ECU thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 01:39 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official ECU thread

Okay so I'm thinking about replacing my ecu on my 93 sc400. My part number is 89661 24230. Is this the only ecu part number that is compatible with the 93 sc400? or is there other part numbers/ecu that are compatible??

My problems/symptoms-

1. On cold start ups, rpm bounces between 1000-2000 or idles high. sometimes the idle drops as the car warms up sometimes it doesn't. When the idle does drop, it drops slowly to zero and then stalls(happened a lot to me).
2. Very strong fuel smell on start ups and when car is running
3. car stalls, only starts up if I keep my foot on the pedal, once released it stalls every time.
4. check engine light stays on when the car is running, and when I try to pull the codes, nothing shows.
5. when driving 40mph+, car jerks when I let off the gas pedal.
6. when coming to a stop car jerks

I replaced my spark plugs, spark plug wire, maf sensor, idle air control valve, and cleaned the throttle body but still didn't fix my problem.

So can anyone help me out?? anyone experience the same symptoms or replace their ecu before??

Good Info from TheMole below:

Originally Posted by TheMole
No experience with these guys, but you can find ECU part numbers at the following link. They also sell remanufactured/refurbished ECUs:

http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp?Pag...S&Category=380

There are also a few companies on ebay that fix ECUs and offer a lifetime warranty on their work.

Last edited by grindin8o8; 05-14-10 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 03:46 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

as long as the ecu has the same amount of pins on the ecu (eg 40 40 40)
Old 05-12-10, 06:47 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

I had this question a couple weeks ago and couldn't really get an answer. I called the place that's on eBay that offers rebuild service and they said they do lots of Sc ECUs.
Old 05-12-10, 07:30 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECUs are easy to replace and not that expensive- plus it's a very common thing to go out on SC 4s. The problems you're describing could definitely be an ECU issue from a lot of the threads I've read on the subject. I have a starting problem that I thought could have been my ECU so I replaced it with an ECU from a running SC and had no luck. But our symptoms were different.

I actually still have the spare ECU from the running car if you want it, let me know. The car it was in had 70k and he pulled it to install an AEM.
Old 05-12-10, 09:04 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

IF this is an ECU thread I have a question.

The toyota crown majaesta was only availible in Japan. That car came with a 1uz-fe but the biggest difference is its ecu had no transmission control that was left completely up to the control of a completely seperate transmission ecu.

My question is could that ecu be used on a manual swapped V8 in the US but still be scanned by an ODB2 scanner if it was a 97+ ecu?
Old 05-12-10, 10:23 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grindin8o8
Okay so I'm thinking about replacing my ecu on my 93 sc400. My part number is 89661 24230. Is this the only ecu part number that is compatible with the 93 sc400? or is there other part numbers/ecu that are compatible??

My problems/symptoms-

1. On cold start ups, rpm bounces between 1000-2000 or idles high. sometimes the idle drops as the car warms up sometimes it doesn't. When the idle does drop, it drops slowly to zero and then stalls(happened a lot to me).
3. car stalls, only starts up if I keep my foot on the pedal, once released it stalls every time.
4. check engine light stays on when the car is running, and when I try to pull the codes, nothing shows.

I replaced my spark plugs, spark plug wire, maf sensor, idle air control valve, and cleaned the throttle body but still didn't fix my problem.

So can anyone help me out?? anyone experience the same symptoms or replace their ecu before??

grindin8o8,

Where are you in Hawaii?> My eldest is stationed on Oahu. Oh, I wish I was there right now ...

As for your issues ... you probably are having ECU issues. I went rhough similar issues with my 93 SC4.

I am at work right now but can provide the info you need to diagnose and correct this evening. Hit me up and I'll explain it all later ...
Old 05-12-10, 04:36 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

My problems/symptoms-

OP,

Try the following and report back:

Remove your IACV. Note the position of the plunger (is it all the way out?). Take IACV apart and note condition of bearings. Clean IACV with carb/choke cleaner, reassemble (with plunger all the way in) and re-install onto engine. Start car. Does the car run with foot off the gas? If yes then try next step below.

Let engine warm for 30 seconds. Turn engine off. Wait 30 seconds. Try starting engine again. Does car run well or sluggishly? Turn off engine again. Wait 30 seconds. Start engine a third time. Does engine run at all?

The IACV is a 100+ position stepper motor air valve whose position is set by the ECU. My ECU was bad so the IACV would stay closed (when it should have been open). When I was having problems with my car I would take my IACV off and reset it (plunger in), reinstall and the car would run fine. After a few minutes the engine would set it closed, stalling the engine. If I turned it off the ECU would automatically (incorrectly) close the IACV, causing it to cough and then ultimately stall.

Also, because the ECU was bad ... it would never throw an error code.

Let me know how it goes ...
Old 05-13-10, 12:39 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexdud
OP,

Try the following and report back:

Remove your IACV. Note the position of the plunger (is it all the way out?). Take IACV apart and note condition of bearings. Clean IACV with carb/choke cleaner, reassemble (with plunger all the way in) and re-install onto engine. Start car. Does the car run with foot off the gas? If yes then try next step below.

Let engine warm for 30 seconds. Turn engine off. Wait 30 seconds. Try starting engine again. Does car run well or sluggishly? Turn off engine again. Wait 30 seconds. Start engine a third time. Does engine run at all?

The IACV is a 100+ position stepper motor air valve whose position is set by the ECU. My ECU was bad so the IACV would stay closed (when it should have been open). When I was having problems with my car I would take my IACV off and reset it (plunger in), reinstall and the car would run fine. After a few minutes the engine would set it closed, stalling the engine. If I turned it off the ECU would automatically (incorrectly) close the IACV, causing it to cough and then ultimately stall.

Also, because the ECU was bad ... it would never throw an error code.

Let me know how it goes ...
lol I'm in Honolulu. Wow, I did the exact same thing as you. When my car stalled I pulled out the IACV and the valve was all the way out. Cleaned it and reinstalled and car started up fine without having to gas it. few days later, the car stalled and figures that the idle valve was all the way out. By reading your post I really think it is the ecu.

So does anyone have a 93 sc400 ecu for sale? parts number 89661 24230??? lmk. I'm so close to selling my sc400 for $1800 but if the ecu does fix this problem, im definitely keeping it. crosses finger
Old 05-13-10, 01:03 AM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

btw i found a 93 sc300 ecu on ebay with the same part number as my ecu but i need one for the sc400. is the sc300 and sc400 compatible with one another for the ecu??
Old 05-13-10, 03:14 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

air fuel reg
"posted on soarercentral"
Old 05-13-10, 04:54 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

btw i found a 93 sc300 ecu on ebay with the same part number as my ecu but i need one for the sc400. is the sc300 and sc400 compatible with one another for the ecu??

My 93 uses the exact same ECU as yours ... the 24230. I did my research and the costs/risks involved with the ECU are interesting. First, a new ECU will run you $1,500 at the stealership. You can find one on eBay for about $120 or so ... but there is risk involved with this option. I've bought two (2) ECUs off of eBay. I got lucky with the first as it immediately fixed my problem. I then found a killer deal on a second 24230 on eBay for less than $50 so I grabbed it. When I received it I immediately swapped out my known-good ECU for the spare and started her up. The car ran fine except the ECU would throw a traction control error all the time. The ECU was bad.

Try finding an ECU on eBay that allows for a return should it be found to be bad. I have a feeling that may be your ultimate problem. I am considering having my original ECU rebuilt so that I have a spare ... but again, there is a risk that this procedure will not fix the problem. My car has less that 55K miles on it, the ECU is pristine and still it went bad.

I've been told that two things kill the ECUs: bad capacitors and water intrusion.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-10, 03:20 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

My 93 uses the exact same ECU as yours ... the 24230. I did my research and the costs/risks involved with the ECU are interesting. First, a new ECU will run you $1,500 at the stealership. You can find one on eBay for about $120 or so ... but there is risk involved with this option. I've bought two (2) ECUs off of eBay. I got lucky with the first as it immediately fixed my problem. I then found a killer deal on a second 24230 on eBay for less than $50 so I grabbed it. When I received it I immediately swapped out my known-good ECU for the spare and started her up. The car ran fine except the ECU would throw a traction control error all the time. The ECU was bad.

Try finding an ECU on eBay that allows for a return should it be found to be bad. I have a feeling that may be your ultimate problem. I am considering having my original ECU rebuilt so that I have a spare ... but again, there is a risk that this procedure will not fix the problem. My car has less that 55K miles on it, the ECU is pristine and still it went bad.

I've been told that two things kill the ECUs: bad capacitors and water intrusion.

Good luck.
you know if the sc300 and sc400 ecu are compatible? even if they have the same parts number?
Old 05-13-10, 09:22 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No experience with these guys, but you can find ECU part numbers at the following link. They also sell remanufactured/refurbished ECUs:

http://www.siaelec.com/index.asp?Pag...S&Category=380

There are also a few companies on ebay that fix ECUs and offer a lifetime warranty on their work.
Old 05-14-10, 04:51 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

you know if the sc300 and sc400 ecu are compatible? even if they have the same parts number?

I would focus on the model number only and forget compatibility. If you currently have a 24230 in your car now ... then you should be safe replacing it with an ECU with the same model number ... no matter whether the car is an SC3 or 4.
Old 05-14-10, 02:06 PM
grindin8o8
Pole Position

I would focus on the model number only and forget compatibility. If you currently have a 24230 in your car now ... then you should be safe replacing it with an ECU with the same model number ... no matter whether the car is an SC3 or 4.
nvm seller on ebay had it listed wrong. it was for the sc400. thanks guys

Quick Reply: Official ECU thread