Carbon fiber is so overplayed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 10:23 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fiber is so overplayed!

I don't care.. haters gonna hate

I finished the other wood trim but didn't take pics .. will post in my build thread later what you guys think?

My center console is a bit aged as well, full of scratches. I might do the climate control, ash tray, shifter surround. And MAYBE the cup holder lid..

Last edited by FuMoFFuTT; 05-12-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 10:27 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good, now just need a black ebrake handle and your set..

i'll tell you what though, i'll never have a CF hood again though.. my trunk wasnt too bad but the fitment was a little off.. CF hood just isn't worth it on daily driven SC IMO
Old 05-12-10, 10:29 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
looks good, now just need a black ebrake handle and your set..

i'll tell you what though, i'll never have a CF hood again though.. my trunk wasnt too bad but the fitment was a little off.. CF hood just isn't worth it on daily driven SC IMO
I'd have to agree.. I didn't know how heavy the hoods were until I popped the hood of my friends SC with blown struts..

The way I look at it, our car's are almost 4000lbs? We might as well compensate by making more power
Old 05-12-10, 10:29 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overplayed maybe. But defiantly not on the interior wood trim!! Looks amazing!
Old 05-12-10, 10:41 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
I'd have to agree.. I didn't know how heavy the hoods were until I popped the hood of my friends SC with blown struts..

The way I look at it, our car's are almost 4000lbs? We might as well compensate by making more power

yeah well i had a pretty expensive CF hood and after awhile i noticed it would bounce around alot over 60mph and it didn't look safe at all like my hood was popped or something, i really didn't want hood latches cause i painted the hood the color of my car and didn't want it to look like aftermarket hood, then working hood struts will flex the middle of the hood so bd it will bulge out while closed if you can even get it closed with hood struts..

so you need weak/blown hood struts, then you need to drill the holes big enough for the hood struts, cause any CF hood i seen doesn't have the right size holes for the hood sruts..

then you either need to have a body shop fill in your squirter holes or dremel your CF hood to make the holes already there big enough for squirters..

imo it's all just not worth it on a normal dailly Sc.. now if it's a show car, weekend warrior, or full out track car i say have at it..

i think it looks good on the interior though if done right like that.
Old 05-12-10, 10:49 PM
oneuzfour
Driver

Do you have a build thread on here? Wheels on yet?
Old 05-12-10, 11:51 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah well i had a pretty expensive CF hood and after awhile i noticed it would bounce around alot over 60mph and it didn't look safe at all like my hood was popped or something, i really didn't want hood latches cause i painted the hood the color of my car and didn't want it to look like aftermarket hood, then working hood struts will flex the middle of the hood so bd it will bulge out while closed if you can even get it closed with hood struts..

so you need weak/blown hood struts, then you need to drill the holes big enough for the hood struts, cause any CF hood i seen doesn't have the right size holes for the hood sruts..

then you either need to have a body shop fill in your squirter holes or dremel your CF hood to make the holes already there big enough for squirters..

imo it's all just not worth it on a normal dailly Sc.. now if it's a show car, weekend warrior, or full out track car i say have at it..

i think it looks good on the interior though if done right like that.
Having said all this, whats the weight difference? I'm the type of perfectionist that I wouldn't mind putting in the work if it ends up being functional (and by functional I'm assuming that any CF hood would result on a noticeable difference in weight given how heavy I've heard the OEM hood is) and looking stock.
Old 05-13-10, 12:07 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Having said all this, whats the weight difference? I'm the type of perfectionist that I wouldn't mind putting in the work if it ends up being functional (and by functional I'm assuming that any CF hood would result on a noticeable difference in weight given how heavy I've heard the OEM hood is) and looking stock.

i'd say about 20lbs difference.. i think the stock hood is around 40lbs easily the cf was probably 20 if that.

not much of a weight savings on a 3600lb car IMO
Old 05-13-10, 12:27 AM
bcp_sc300

Originally Posted by FuMoFFuTT
I don't care.. haters gonna hate

I finished the other wood trim but didn't take pics .. will post in my build thread later what you guys think?

My center console is a bit aged as well, full of scratches. I might do the climate control, ash tray, shifter surround. And MAYBE the cup holder lid..

FuMoFFuTT Where did you get the cb trim at?
Old 05-13-10, 09:31 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Smile

i'd say about 20lbs difference.. i think the stock hood is around 40lbs easily the cf was probably 20 if that.

Wow! That's it? I figured it weighed way more than that?
Old 05-13-10, 10:13 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting info on the CF hood. OP, I really like the look you have going on.
Old 05-13-10, 04:53 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock hood is 60 lbs flat and the VIS vented hood that I have weighs 30 lbs flat.
Old 05-13-10, 05:37 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

looks good! i was thinking of doing that or brushed aluminum to my wood trims pieces...
Old 05-13-10, 07:00 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL im actually gonna take my CF off my wood panels SMH rather have the wood look now cuz cant find carbon fiber steering wheel....ANYWAY THAT SHIP looks good!!!!
Old 05-13-10, 08:27 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

I was in the EXACT same position as you.. but I think this is going to play well, especially when I put in my new seats

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
looks good! i was thinking of doing that or brushed aluminum to my wood trims pieces...

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber is so overplayed!