SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete DIY: Fit a pre-97 front lip onto a 97+ SC front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 09:28 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slade
As for me I mainly got my lip hurt when I was traveling random roads I don't know and hit pot holes and the lip bottomed out. The stressed after time just made it cracked. With the lip my car was about 2 inches off the ground so it didn't work out too well lol. I thnk yours look higher so you should be fine.
Ahhh.....I see. You know Slade....I think I actually have a pic of your car with the lip on and I would have to agree with you that your SC is a bit lower than mine due to the different suspension we are running.

The other great thing that I love about Florida is that pretty much everywhere I go I'm always driving on either freshly re-paved roads or real smooth roads in general (thank you FL ). Very rarely do I ever come across pot holes, unless I possibly go to the beach but I hardly ever take my car there either.

I just hope I can secure it as best as I can onto the front bumper and try and be as careful as I can with it, especially when it comes to parking.
Old 05-17-10, 01:20 AM
Aries
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Thanks Aries I believe I have a picture of your car or one similar to it that has the pre-97 lip on a 97 bumper and it really got me sold on getting it done.

Believe me I've got about 2 days worth of sanding put into this already with at least one more day (hopefully tomorrow) of sanding left to go. I will just be happy to have something on the front bumper since I feel it is missing something to lower it.

After sanding it for so long I got a bit lazy and did a half-*** job with the paint, which chipped after a couple of weeks. Are you painting it yourself or taking it to a shop?
Old 05-17-10, 08:40 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aries
After sanding it for so long I got a bit lazy and did a half-*** job with the paint, which chipped after a couple of weeks. Are you painting it yourself or taking it to a shop?
I hear ya man....i'm starting to get burned out from all the sanding and almost want to take a day off just to make sure I get it done right the first time around.

My paint guy is going to take over when it comes to actually painting it DWP for my car. He still has some paint left from when he re-painted my front and rear bumpers for me a few months back. I'm hoping I can avoid messing it up when parking as much as possible so the paint doesn't get damaged but if it does I may just paint it flat black so that way I can always re-paint it myself whenever I want to.

Update: Primered the whole lip in order to see any holes or imperfections in the lip so I could come back with filler. Here are the pics of laying the filler on the lip and wetsanding it off with the finest grit sandpaper you can find (2000 will do). Whats great about filler is after you let it sit for awhile (I mean at least an hour or so) all you have to do is start wetsanding all the excess filler and the holes you wanted to patch will be patched up (what I mean is you can sand and you will actually see the holes again....but this time filled with red filler).

All you have to do is dry and primer again to make sure the holes are really filled and repeat this process until you feel there are no more holes in the lip.

Tomorrow its just wetsanding and primer one last time and hopefully figuring out how to mount it onto the car so stay tuned.
Old 05-17-10, 10:16 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Thanks Kira X I've just been real busy just graduating from college and finishing my final exams. Lately I have been trying to get into grad school but it looks like things are looking up for me so we willl see what happens in the following few months.

Hopefully I will get this done in the next day or so and be done with it.
That's good. I wish I was out of college already. That's good to hear you're going to grad school. Hopefully you'll still have time for the SC. I hear grad school is super tough.
Old 05-17-10, 10:37 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work. Have you thought of moulding the lip to the bumper?
Old 05-18-10, 09:56 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's good. I wish I was out of college already. That's good to hear you're going to grad school. Hopefully you'll still have time for the SC. I hear grad school is super tough.
Thanks buddy Believe me college will fly by. I still remember my first day and now I'm off to grad school....it's nuts but I'm glad that I am just that much closer to my true goals.

I'm just trying to get as much of the SC done before I go to grad school so that way I won't get any more big projects (I hope). In all honesty I don't have much more I want to do with it but simply enjoy it and take it to shows

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Nice work. Have you thought of moulding the lip to the bumper?
Thank you very much I have thought about it but I simply don't have enough down time to actually take the bumper off the car and truly mold the lip onto the bumper. This car is my DD but I have thought about it and do feel it would look even better if it was molded on.

Update: So today was not much but just touched up some minor spots of the lip with filler and then put a coat of primer on it one last time.

Tomorrow I will paint the lip flat black just for the time being so I can transport it actually on the car to then get it painted back in Tampa with my painter. I'm hoping to get it mounted onto the car tomorrow but we will see if my dad and I have time. My goal is to have the lip painted flat black and put onto the car, then when I head back to tampa I will take the lip back off to get it painted DWP and once its good to go put it back on the car for good.
Old 05-18-10, 10:11 PM
the3rd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good so far
Old 05-18-10, 10:19 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I did this twice. The lip is very satisfying, but i hated it when it cracked. Ive tried looking for some sort of polyurathane that would able to flex like the oem lip as well as being sandable but no luck so far.
Old 05-18-10, 10:35 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by the3rd
Looking good so far
Thanks the3rd Really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I did this twice. The lip is very satisfying, but i hated it when it cracked. Ive tried looking for some sort of polyurathane that would able to flex like the oem lip as well as being sandable but no luck so far.

Believe me I have been searching as well for some sort of polyurethane but have come up empty as well for a project like this. I'm just hoping that since I'm not that low I won't crack it but if it does happen I don't have a problem with fixing it again and again.

I really like the way this looks and I also like the fact that not very many people have this look on a 97+ body so it works. Tired of everyone with the AC kit and I can't afford or wait for the Big Win front lip, plus I believe I would be the only 97+ SC with this front lip in DWP as far as I know.

Last edited by P.R.S.22; 05-18-10 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 10:54 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Im sure its gonna look nice. I miss the lip on mines im just tired of doing everything over again.
Old 05-19-10, 08:42 AM
PEARL2
Pole Position

It's interesting following your progress. I plan on doing this this weekend, also pearl white, and its good to know what I'm in for. I paln on using thin metal flexable sheet you can buy at home depot and thick rubber over the metal to fill the 2.75'' gap. this way bondo will be at the seams. less craking to think about.
Old 05-19-10, 10:14 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work, can't wait to see more pictures!
Old 05-19-10, 12:58 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Im sure its gonna look nice. I miss the lip on mines im just tired of doing everything over again.
Thank you very much. I think it has turned out pretty good. Just need to see how it looks on the car now.

I definitely understand about it being tough to do it over again when you went through so much the first time around. It can get frustrating but I have my fingers crossed that I can take care of this one.

Originally Posted by PEARL2
It's interesting following your progress. I plan on doing this this weekend, also pearl white, and its good to know what I'm in for. I paln on using thin metal flexable sheet you can buy at home depot and thick rubber over the metal to fill the 2.75'' gap. this way bondo will be at the seams. less craking to think about.
I'm glad you like the progress Yea if you just take your time the results will be well worth it. I like your idea on the metal flexible sheet to fill the gap. Should work very well.

Originally Posted by romeo291
Nice work, can't wait to see more pictures!
Appreciate it romeo From what I remember I believe you sold your black beauty but it was a big inspiration for myself to get my ride just as clean as yours looked. Definitely got more pictures on the way!

Update: So I was able to get the flat black done today. I put one light coat just to get one on there, then I wetsanded that layer to come back with one final coat. Came out great. Tomorrow it will be trying to get the lip on the car to see how it looks.

Old 05-20-10, 11:39 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Update: The lip is on!!!! It took my dad and I over half an hour just to even begin figuring out how we would mount this thing on but then we finally got it. The first pictures are of where we drilled the holes to hold the lip from the driver side to the passenger side.

Here are a few pics of the whole car with the lip on to get an idea.

I'm overall really pleased with the way the lip came out. It's held on to the bumper pretty tight so I don't think it will be easy to come off anytime soon. Now its just a matter a time before I get it painted to match the rest of the car. I may actually keep it flat black for a little bit since it would be alot easier to repaint if it ever gets chipped by rocks or debris on the road, but time will tell.

Last edited by P.R.S.22; 05-22-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-21-10, 12:14 AM
iduntnoega
Driver

wow thats amazing. very clean work bro.

Quick Reply: Complete DIY: Fit a pre-97 front lip onto a 97+ SC front bumper