Opinions on PIAA bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 11:03 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on PIAA bulbs

Guys,

I am not referring to HID PIAA light, I am referring to those extreme white PIAA lights.

Anyone using the PIAA bulbs 9005 or 9006 on their SC400/300? Is it better? What kind of bulb that you guy buy? most of the light I saw has some bluish color to it and I don't like it. How is the light when it actually installed in the car.

Do you recommend it or is it a waste of money.

I will make a long distance drive from Philadelphia to Los Angeles next month. Need to have good headlight for driving at night and don't want the CA cops to stop me

Thanks,
Old 06-19-02, 11:30 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cops won't pull you over since you'er in a lex and lex's usually have HID's in the first place. Just get the regular wattage ones and you'll be Ok.

PIAA's ARE best IMO but I bought cheapie Hiper 9005 and 9006's because I figure, for the price of 1/3 of a PIAA, I can risk them burning out and then just popping a spare set in. IMAGINE burining out a PIAA - it's EXPENSIVE to replace.

PIAA's look less bluer then most but price/performance, its fine with me to stick with bluish ones. Heck, I replaced all 8 of my lights on my GS (high beam, low beam, fogs, daytime lights, and side markers) for what it would've cost for a set of PIAA 9005's!
Old 06-19-02, 11:39 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Projector beam 9006

Here is what the Extreme whites looked like on my Supra, which uses the same Projector 9006 headlight as the SC.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on PIAA bulbs-zzzfrontbest1and25.jpg  
Old 06-19-02, 11:42 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Default 9005 bulbs

Actually they are modified 9005 bulbs(+9 watts/ no cap), that I put into the 9006/ lowbeams.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on PIAA bulbs-front-9.jpg  

Last edited by JAC JZS; 06-19-02 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 11:43 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on PIAA bulbs-picture-1059.jpg  

Last edited by JAC JZS; 06-19-02 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 11:57 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I've used PIAA Xtreme White Plus and they are the E-X-A-C-T SAME light output as Sylvania Silverstars. Just one thing, the Silverstars are over HALF the price as the PIAA, and are made by a more reliable brand. If you get 9005 Silverstars and plug them into the 9006 socket, you'll get even brighter light for the same price. I disagree that PIAA is the best brand out there too, maybe the most expensive.
Old 06-19-02, 12:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
I've used PIAA Xtreme White Plus and they are the E-X-A-C-T SAME light output as Sylvania Silverstars.

I'll have to disagree on this, at least on my application (white bulb inside yellow GS foglight housing). Another GS owner and I did a side-by-side taste test with my Piaa Extreme White fogs and Silverstars in his.

Here's a link to pictures of the bulb comparison. The Piaas are definitely brighter and throw more light.

I have had no problems and have not lost a bulb in two years of using them. Just have to look for the specials.
Old 06-19-02, 01:50 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting results. I've done a comparison in my car with the driver side PIAA and passenger side Silverstar. The color and brightness that both lights shot on an opaque white wall were identical. I noticed in your pics, that the camera is lined up head on with your car and angled away from Dex's car. This can account for the difference in brightness as a lighting assembly is always brighter head on. VQT, you can buy both pairs and compare them for yourself. You should be able to return the inferior pair.
Old 06-19-02, 02:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
I noticed in your pics, that the camera is lined up head on with your car and angled away from Dex's car. This can account for the difference in brightness as a lighting assembly is always brighter head on
I also have some pics with his car lined up straight and the difference is the equally noticable. The Piaas (at least in this instance) are definitely brighter from all angles and in light thrown on the roadway.

Your idea of SOB (some of both) is a great one. Do the taste-test yourself and return the ones you don't like. You should be able to get the Sliverstars more easily in a local auto parts place - the Piaas (for a good price at least) are harder to find other than online.
Old 06-19-02, 03:16 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I don't have pics but just an opinion.

I also bought both to try out. Installed the Sylvania in the Left and PIAA in the right. Then switched them around to be thorough. Without a doubt, the PIAAs were brighter on the garage door test, road test, and burn your cornea test. I think for the most part, the Sylvanias are nice bulbs. But you do get what you pay for. Oh yeah, the parts store told me "no returns once I installed or unpackaged the bulbs"

MW
Old 06-19-02, 04:29 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I did notice a little boost in output over oem type bulbs with my PIAA bulbs.
Kind of pricey though,if I were to do it again I'd save up for some HIDs that'd work with our cars,or get rid of the existing reflector in there,whatever it takes.
Old 06-26-02, 04:18 PM
2JZ-GTE SC
Driver School Candidate

PIAAs are great, but they burn out on me too fast. Even though I get them for like $50, they are still more expensive than a lot of other brands. Think about investing $500 on 8000K HIDs they last you longer and are not just like any other Asian rice rockets.
Old 06-26-02, 04:29 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I have the PIAA H4 Extreme whites in my car and all I can say is awesome!!! They run at the factory wattage but put out double the wattage. Accept no immations and go with the PIAA!!!!!!
Old 06-26-02, 08:00 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 2JZ-GTE SC
PIAAs are great, but they burn out on me too fast. Even though I get them for like $50, they are still more expensive than a lot of other brands. Think about investing $500 on 8000K HIDs they last you longer and are not just like any other Asian rice rockets.

On the contrary, 8000K HIDs are ricer and they do not last longer than quality halogens, especially if the bulbs are made by Taiwanese or Korean bulb manufacturers...oh wait, they all are.
Old 06-27-02, 02:08 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

8000K doesn't exist...the light would be like pure blue...how does that NOT look ricer?

SharpLS-96 - Hehehe...not really...PIAA bulbs are good, but the "double output" rating is ALL bullshiat...

The only TRUE bright lights out there is REAL HID. Trust me, PIAA's best bulb, even overwattage, will be dimmer than a set of real HID's...

$450 for a set of 4100K Philips HID's...$550 for a set of 6000K Philips HID's...www.autolamps-online.com. Check the GROUP BUYS section under the Classified section for the special prices.

I'm going to stick in some 6000K's and run it for a while and see if I like 'em as much as the 4100K's...(since the 6000K's are actually DIMMER than the 4000K's...but still WAY WAY brighter than any PIAA bulb...)

Quick Reply: Opinions on PIAA bulbs