SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

People with aftermarket speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 03:46 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front and back pieces
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-amp-mdf-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 03:48 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

This is the basic shape, the braces and top trim piece are not fitted yet in this pic, nor is the Plexi.
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-amp-mdf-3.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 03:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

These pics are the general shapes, the large pieces before cutting and trimming were done, and without the top piece and the pieces for the boot hinge areas.
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-mdf-1.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 03:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

left side
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-mdf-2.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 03:55 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Right side rough sizes
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-mdf-3.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 04:03 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

RF Connecting Punch wiring, distribution, and Stealth interconnect throughout.
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 04:05 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The rear panel, the one leading into the side panels, I handmade a new one to follow the contours of the trunk, but extend further than the original panels, so it would come flush with the side panels (the oe side panels extend into the center area where they wrap around, so the oe rear panel was now way too short, took a couple days to get this piece up to Lexus quality, but as you can see in the pic (take a good look at the curves), no way to tell it's not factory, i've had many installers look at it, they all agreed it looked just like oe. Constructing the box behind that side panel for the distribution and getting it to still fit flush was lottts of fun
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-pwr-distr.jpg  

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-22-02 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-22-02, 04:16 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Amps
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-compressed-amps.jpg.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 04:21 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

K, dinner's ready manny, nice bloody Steak with some pasta with garlic and oil and sun-dried tomatoes, much rather be eatin' than talkin' to your psychotic gun-toting Asian mug, so later....
- JonJon
Attached Thumbnails People with aftermarket speakers...-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-22-02, 04:35 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
K, dinner's ready manny, nice bloody Steak with some pasta with garlic and oil and sun-dried tomatoes, much rather be eatin' than talkin' to your psychotic gun-toting Asian mug, so later....
- JonJon

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-24-02, 02:50 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
...much rather be eatin' than talkin' to your psychotic gun-toting Asian mug, so later....
- JonJon
Hey! I resemble that comment... I'd much rather have a steak than talk to me too!

Thanks for all the picture Jon! I think I have a layout for my setup now (thanks to your pictures!)...I am just debating between a couple things however...if anyone has an opinion, please let me know...

1) I have a four MQ Quart Q series speakers from a former car...they are 5.25" and can be seperated to make it a component set (the tweeter rides on a "bridge" across the top of the mid with seperate leads). Should I just mod the car to accept these speakers or should I just get 4" JL Audios (like Mjames) and make the install easier? MJames, do the 4" JL's sound MUCH better than the stock speakers? (I can't imagine that they wouldn't!)

2) I am having a SERIOUS debate about getting a JL Audio 500/5 or the PPI 5800 amplifier. I can get them for about the same price (within $40)...will the JL Audio's 100W/25W front to rear difference matter in anyone's opinion? I mean I could care less about the rear...but will it sound odd w/o equal rear fill? I've NEVER done a offset setup like this in any of my cars so I don't know what it'll sound like...

Oh yeah, one more thing, Mjames, did you replace the tweeters on the front speakers also? Did you use the XR100 tweeters? How did the 1" fit into the stock space? Is it the same size or are stocks 0.75"? Did your 4" driver fit right into the stock "box" in the door?

Thanks again Jon!
Old 06-25-02, 03:31 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I decided to bite the bullet and get rid of the free air sub. They usually sound crappy. I had a local shop custom build a fiberglass enclosure for a 10 inch X-max sub. Fits right in the stock speaker location. Sounds much better than the stock system and I didn't lose any trunk space.

Last edited by Vegassc400; 06-26-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 10:55 AM
Mistical
Rookie

Hey Vegassc400, can you post some pics and specs of your 10" sub enclosure? I would like to know if it is truely the ideal way to go.
Old 06-26-02, 02:45 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Tough to take pics anymore. It's kind of walled up behind my amp board. I'll try to get the specs though.
Old 06-26-02, 03:00 PM
Mistical
Rookie

Question

I am just courious how you put an enclosure in that small space. What is the squared area of air space? Is the speaker raised above the back deck? Its tuff to give a free air enough space, what did you fit in there?

Quick Reply: People with aftermarket speakers...