SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

THIS IS SC --- why we love, and live it

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 01:37 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honda makes great stuff no doubt. but if you guys want an SC vs Legend face off thread, you can make one. :P

sc love yo!
Old 05-26-10, 01:46 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

just updated original post with all the OG clips i could find so far.
Old 05-26-10, 03:11 PM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCrollinSD
honda makes great stuff no doubt. but if you guys want an SC vs Legend face off thread, you can make one. :P

sc love yo!
LOL sorry about the mini-hijack man, back to regularly scheduled programming
Old 05-26-10, 03:37 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on making making this thread, enjoyed watching a complimentary video about how came the Lexus SC coupe
Old 05-26-10, 03:49 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrollinSD

i dunno Vadim, perhaps you need to get back in a BMW. :P
I will lol
Old 05-26-10, 04:46 PM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
If this car was such an achievement, why it was never popular? What's the problem?
Simply put, not everyone can afford a personal luxury coupe. The SC with the 1UZ started at about ~$50k. The 2JZ was only $33k, but had fewer standard equipment like leather seats and, for better or worse, the rear spoiler. It was still rather expensive for a 200bhp coupe. Despite its price, the top of the line SC was still cheaper than its German competitors most notably the BMW 840 would have cost ~$80k.

This was -- and still is -- a very niche market. Most people that have that kind of money to spend on luxury cars tend to go for the bigger four-doors. An entry-level BMW 650 is $80k and that's about to be replaced by a newer and more expensive model. A Mercedes CL-Class is $110k.

Like I said, few people were able to afford the SC and fewer were actually able to buy it which explains why so few of them were made. By the late-'90s, the SC had become rather outdated as the Germans started to step up their game.
Old 05-27-10, 01:16 AM
koukii
Driver

Originally Posted by kez
docu makes me wanna cry..........
me too! haha
Old 05-29-10, 12:28 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

That video was so beautiful lol
Old 05-30-10, 08:30 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread!!

Ryan
Old 05-30-10, 11:38 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STRTORPTR
Simply put, not everyone can afford a personal luxury coupe. The SC with the 1UZ started at about ~$50k. The 2JZ was only $33k, but had fewer standard equipment like leather seats and, for better or worse, the rear spoiler. It was still rather expensive for a 200bhp coupe. Despite its price, the top of the line SC was still cheaper than its German competitors most notably the BMW 840 would have cost ~$80k.

This was -- and still is -- a very niche market. Most people that have that kind of money to spend on luxury cars tend to go for the bigger four-doors. An entry-level BMW 650 is $80k and that's about to be replaced by a newer and more expensive model. A Mercedes CL-Class is $110k.

Like I said, few people were able to afford the SC and fewer were actually able to buy it which explains why so few of them were made. By the late-'90s, the SC had become rather outdated as the Germans started to step up their game.
They compared it to Acura CL and merc clk430
Old 05-31-10, 12:26 AM
STRTORPTR
Driver

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
They compared it to Acura CL and merc clk430
As the general tone of the article being that the SC was outdated.
Old 05-31-10, 09:18 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

alot of nonsense talk in here...the sc was way ahead of its time when it debuted in 6/1/91' as a 92' model. penty of advanced technological design and standard option for a early 90's car. the SC 400 was honored as the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year for 1992. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1992 through 1998. Owing to its advanced design, the first generation SC lasted in production until July 7, 2000, a duration of over 9 years. This production cycle was quite long compared to the average car of the 1990s, which was being redesigned every 3-4 years to keep up with the changing styling of automobiles. Even with the SC's long production cycle, only minor exterior changes were made. I've always believed the sc was a popular car from the start, its a sport luxury coupe, rwd, decent power. a whole laundry list of luxury equipment, distinctive new age design for its time and toyota reliability.
for those that think the sc was never popular...its price tag had a lot to do with it. food for thought...second generation sc's (sc430) 02-04 still goes for between 18k-24k and 04-later in the mid 30's while new ones are in the mid 60's. The same will apply to the 430, a few years from now...you'd be able to grab a 02 model for 8-10k. its not that the car was never popular, its that the car could only cater to a select few... m3's are iconic cars, yet one could ****** an early e36 m3 (s50 motor) 3.0L for about 6-8 grand.
Old 05-31-10, 10:36 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
alot of nonsense talk in here...the sc was way ahead of its time when it debuted in 6/1/91' as a 92' model. penty of advanced technological design and standard option for a early 90's car. the SC 400 was honored as the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year for 1992. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1992 through 1998. Owing to its advanced design, the first generation SC lasted in production until July 7, 2000, a duration of over 9 years. This production cycle was quite long compared to the average car of the 1990s, which was being redesigned every 3-4 years to keep up with the changing styling of automobiles. Even with the SC's long production cycle, only minor exterior changes were made. I've always believed the sc was a popular car from the start, its a sport luxury coupe, rwd, decent power. a whole laundry list of luxury equipment, distinctive new age design for its time and toyota reliability.
for those that think the sc was never popular...its price tag had a lot to do with it. food for thought...second generation sc's (sc430) 02-04 still goes for between 18k-24k and 04-later in the mid 30's while new ones are in the mid 60's. The same will apply to the 430, a few years from now...you'd be able to grab a 02 model for 8-10k. its not that the car was never popular, its that the car could only cater to a select few... m3's are iconic cars, yet one could ****** an early e36 m3 (s50 motor) 3.0L for about 6-8 grand.
Very well stated!! Only a select few cars ever retain their value, or even increase in value. Most every car, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc, drops significantly in value as they age. That's just the nature of the value of cars. Remember that in most cases, any money you put into a car will probably not add much if not any resale value to it. Spend the money because the value is in your enjoyment of the car, and the statement you want to make. If you want an investment, ocnsider somrthing entirely different.

Back on topic....I love this thread because it states how great this car was and still is. It is a wonderful car....One that I highly respect, and love.

Ryan
Old 05-31-10, 11:08 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Very well stated!! Only a select few cars ever retain their value, or even increase in value. Most every car, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc, drops significantly in value as they age. That's just the nature of the value of cars. Remember that in most cases, any money you put into a car will probably not add much if not any resale value to it. Spend the money because the value is in your enjoyment of the car, and the statement you want to make. If you want an investment, ocnsider somrthing entirely different.

Back on topic....I love this thread because it states how great this car was and still is. It is a wonderful car....One that I highly respect, and love.

Ryan
thanks ryan
Old 04-27-16, 04:32 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bumo...such an amazing thread

Quick Reply: THIS IS SC --- why we love, and live it