SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Differential gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 12:38 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential gears

As we all know, the 1st and 2nd gear on our 4-speed autos are extremely laggy, so now I'm considering solutions in a ring and pinion swap. I know this has been discussed before, but all the talk seems to revolve around the SC300, not the SC400.

Anyway, for about $400, I'm thinking I can get like a 4:11 pinion to ring installed that'll put some major kick off the line (at the expense of top speed, speedo accuracy, and fuel economy of course). I'm wondering what is a good ratio for the SC400? And BTW, what is the stock ratio?? If I decide on an aftermarket torque convertor in the future, will the high gear ratio snap my car off the line like a slingshot every time?

I think someone once said you can tell if you have LSD by a digit in the VIN number? Does anyone else remember that? I'm too lazy to find out with a brake stand. An LSD would be good to build on, but has anyone considered an air locker as an alternative to the LSD? They might be better for street racing purposes, but what about availability/compatibility with our cars?

If I don't have an LSD already, I'd have to pass on it. They are insanely expensive. I'd rather buy a whole built-*** 12-bolt GM posi rear end at that price. Aren't LSDs normally supposed to be like ~$250?

Last edited by lex400sc; 06-21-02 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-21-02, 05:34 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This was discussed many a' moons ago here. If memory serves me right, a LSD from a manual 6-speed Supra was the best and cheapest alternative for the 400. Availability is high, too, at the yards. Price was supposed to be $250-$350 for the entire pumpkin; used. I forget the actual ratio though but believe its in the very high 3's.

Problems were like you stated, but also, it causes an additional shift within the qtr mile, so it would actually slow you down if you were looking to improve youre E.T's. But if general street racing was your motive, or autocrossing, the results were very impressive. And remember it considerably reduces you meilage!!!!!!! Like -> very badly!!!

LSD by the VIN # - From what I remember, it was incorrect. But I really don't know - still check into it. I have yet to see a 400 that doesn't have it though, if that helps.

LSD's for our cars should be around 1200$ New - I believe they are a Torsion unit. I have never priced one before, but for most cars, thats the priice for a torsion unit from the dealers.

As far as the sling shot affect w/ the TC. You'd need the lower stall unit, or else you would just light the tires up on every hard launch. The great part aboutr Lexus is, no matter what you install, if you don't hammer it, it will always be smooth as silk.

The straight up R&P for $400 sounds like a great deal. I have yet to find a reliable source for R&P's for imports, so let us know where you can get that from for such a reasonable price.

Hope this helps,
Keith
Old 06-21-02, 06:15 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RMM offers a ring and pinion for the SC4. The SC3 and SC4 automatic are 3.92, SC3 5spd is 4.08, Supra auto is 3.72, Supra 6spd is 3.13. lex400sc, you keep referring to this car as if it has a solid axle, it's independant rear dude, swap in a 12-bolt, but have fun. As for the effect on gas mileage, the Supra diffs are higher ratios (lower numerically). And it is a Torsen unit. You can get the TRD diff, which is not a Torsen, for around $800 or so new, you'll want carrier bearings, but they're like 40 bucks each, or you can source a used Supra unit, but there's no need to spend $1200 for the unit itself. lex400sc, for $250-plus, you're thinking of something like an Auburn cone diff for a domestic solid axle, i've used them, matter of fact i've blown a couple of them up...